Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gold. Lots of Gold.  (Read 8135 times)

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gold. Lots of Gold.
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:33:07 pm »

So, DFProspector just revealed that my latest fortress is sitting on top of 18 thousand native gold ore. I plan to use this to its full potential, ideas?

Edit: I should mention I'm playing .31.25, so nothing involving vampires or minecarts (or the new stockpile system, if you were planning on suggesting something with that... you  never know what people can make interesting on this forum).

Edit2: Also, my dining hall is currently being dug to run through 2 (that I've discovered so far) veins, so there will be golden engraved floors and walls for the dining hall.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:37:01 pm by nerdyboy321123 »
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
Re: Gold. Lots of Gold.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:38:47 pm »

A gigantic golden tower with a bloated tuber farm on it.
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:27 pm »

How would I get soil on the tower? Can you still make farms on mud? I thought that got taken out a while ago.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 02:50:30 pm »

How would I get soil on the tower? Can you still make farms on mud? I thought that got taken out a while ago.
Nope, you can make farms on mud.
My wooden badge was delicious.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:52:07 pm »

Wonderful, then there shall be a golden bloated tuber tower farm, any size specifications/recommendations, and anything to do with the other several thousand gold I'll still have lying around? Oh. Also worth noting, 1600 amethysts, so gem encrustation is certainly a possibility.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 03:00:53 pm »

Wonderful, then there shall be a golden bloated tuber tower farm, any size specifications/recommendations, and anything to do with the other several thousand gold I'll still have lying around? Oh. Also worth noting, 1600 amethysts, so gem encrustation is certainly a possibility.
Write a song about gold then spell it out in gold.

Or make golden useless crap x 10,000.

Or mine every square in the caverns and replace it with gold blocks. And build gold floors. GOLD
My wooden badge was delicious.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »

I'd say encase your entire fortress in gold. Noble's get all-gold rooms, as do any dwarves you'd like to reward. make golden brick floors, and replace the clay/soil/stone walls of your fort with Golden Bricks. Make your Trade Depot out of Gold blocks, make the walls around your fortress out of golden bricks.

Hell, even make a golden elephant or that greek building that looks like a bank.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:42:42 pm »

Your King is now Midas.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 04:06:19 pm »

Or make golden useless crap x 10,000.

Yeah, I'm thinking entire z-level statue garden with only masterwork statues, all encrusted with amethysts or blue crystal (cuz I've got 6700 blue crystals as well). My dwarves shall never be sad.
Should go nicely with the Golden bloated tuber farm/trade depot/elf trader drop tower.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 04:59:27 pm »

While not quite *that* extreme, I had a fortress with plenty of gold before.  I used it to make an all gold dining room, gold doors for every doorway in the fortress besides the main gate, a statue garden entirely out of gold statues, and to give every dwarf two gold cabinets in his bedroom.  It made for a very happy fortress, since everyone had the 'slept in a bedroom like a personal palace' thought and were constantly getting 'admired a fine X' thoughts from sitting at masterwork golden tables and walking through masterwork golden doorways.

tase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 06:55:18 pm »

18k is above average, but doesn't beat whole layers with tons of gold veins, at 120k + gold units according to prospector (no layer modding, all legit).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 07:09:41 pm »

On top of everything else already mentioned, excavate all walls and replace them with gold ones. The floor too. And the furniture (unless you are using mods, beds can only be made of wood unfortunately). If there is gold left after you've done this and all the other stuff, cover the map in gold as well.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »

Gold bins and barrels. Thrones and tables too. Just make everything gold its an all yellow fort.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »

Make a giant gold block outside your entrance and drop it on sieges.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 07:59:24 pm »

If there's just too many gold there you could turn to doing these:

* Just mint the gold and buy out dwarven merchants every year.

* use the gold for decorating stuff (decorating weapons and armor still adds damage and defense, right?)

* gold goblets. classic medieval treasure  :)

* wait for a moody dwarf to use it as artifact ingredients. (ooh, gotta love an artifact weapon  :D )

* it's cool covering the map with gold (as others mentioned). But you'd like it after the royal dining hall you're planning

there. have fun with the 18k gold.
Pages: [1] 2 3