Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul  (Read 42850 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 32
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2012, 02:00:57 am »

Kira leaned against a nearby wall, feeling uncertain in her quest.

She felt sad, to say it basically. Unmotivated to go on. It wasn't the first time she was on a mission with little to do, but this time...she didn't know why she felt like so. Did normal people act like this?

"There's something wrong with me..."

Try to levitate self with power of the wind!

Then ask a nearby person where the city Darius is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:41 am »

Attempt to harden my skin against blows.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2012, 08:13:13 am »

(Nitpick- you put in the Cosmos Cat bonus, but it still says level 1 for Redimio Ianus)

Thrakor glanced at Janna as his own opponent reeled.  She's holding her own for now, but could be susceptible to more damaging attacks, and she's already hurt.  Better finish this one off quickly and assist her- Rorrick himself looks to be well above their ability to handle.

Arcane Pulse + Weak Push the female human.  You know, again.

I must admit though; only having one combo means I'm becoming great at this spell type.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 31, The "Plot" Thickens
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2012, 08:45:39 am »

Continue my inquiries: Ask around about the dragon. Where its lair likely is, if it's made any demands or just wants to pillage, if it claims any titles, and if its gender is known. State that we're here from the mage's guild to see if we can peaceably stop the dragon's attacks.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

(Nitpick- you put in the Cosmos Cat bonus, but it still says level 1 for Redimio Ianus)

Yeah, I'll fix that.  Thank you for telling me.

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »

"We might as well get this over with.  Let's go get Reddrick!"

Go to the edge of the crater and survey Reddrick's camp.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 33
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:40 pm »

Turn 33

Kira leaned against a nearby wall, feeling uncertain in her quest.

She felt sad, to say it basically. Unmotivated to go on. It wasn't the first time she was on a mission with little to do, but this time...she didn't know why she felt like so. Did normal people act like this?

"There's something wrong with me..."

Try to levitate self with power of the wind!

Then ask a nearby person where the city Darius is.

| You think you feel your feet leave the ground, but you doubt it.  (This means that with three more three's, two more 4's, or one more 5 or 6, you'll get the spell)

| You find a man that says you need to follow the road to the west, and take the first right.  After that, he doesn't know.

Do you wish to look around for more info, or head on out?

Attempt to harden my skin against blows.

|  You harden your skin too well, and you become unable to move!  | Thankfully, your skin has just hardened, and hasn't become something else.  You still can't move, though.

You gain the skill Somes quod Animus!  You gain power of over your Body!  You gain +5 to Validus Refragatio! You gain +4 to Somes quod Animus! You gain +3 to Body!  You have gained the spell Harden!  It is a level 1 Validus Refragatio spell that grants a +1 DR autoblock, but reduces movement by -1!  You gain +7 exp to Harden!

Thrakor glanced at Janna as his own opponent reeled.  She's holding her own for now, but could be susceptible to more damaging attacks, and she's already hurt.  Better finish this one off quickly and assist her- Rorrick himself looks to be well above their ability to handle.

Arcane Pulse + Weak Push the female human.  You know, again.

I must admit though; only having one combo means I'm becoming great at this spell type.

| You cast the spell systematically, and instantly combo into the next. | Your Push goes off fairly well, too.

|| | You target her weak point, her middle, and the Arcane Pulse rams right into her.  It doesn't open up a new hole, but it completely empties out her guts through the hole you made previously.  Her intestines rip apart from stress, and she screams and falls unconscious into a puddle of guts, bile and blood.  She will be dead soon.

| You are unable to redirect your Push, and the spell goes to waste.

You gain +5 to Redimio Ianus!  You gain +3 to Ianus Somes! You gain +4 to Ianus!  You gain a level in Ianus!  You gain the title Omega Arcanist!!

Janna: || She engages the Greygim in a flurry of blows!  ||  | She completely outmaneuvers the Greygim, and decapitates him rather nicely.

3 vs. 1: The three decide that going in one on one isn't going to cut it against Rorrick.  They charge in, teamwork sharpened by decades of experience.  Janus attacks with random bursts of flame to keep Rorrick off guard, whilst Bane and Dell attack him in synchronization.  However, Rorrick is able to defend against their onslaught, until he is almost at the wall.  Sensing a disadvantage, he swings his spear at the wall.

Incredibly, the swing makes the wall of the warehouse explode outwards, opening up a hole.  Rorrick says, "I think this place is a little chafing.  Why don't we take our combat somewhere a little more free?" And he jumps through the hole, Bale and co. instantly following him.

Continue my inquiries: Ask around about the dragon. Where its lair likely is, if it's made any demands or just wants to pillage, if it claims any titles, and if its gender is known. State that we're here from the mage's guild to see if we can peaceably stop the dragon's attacks.

|  When no one is willing to help, you go up to some hapless civilian and punch him in the face.

"You tell me about that dragon right now or I'll gut you like a fish!"

He stammers through his bloody nose, "I-it always flies off to the west after attacking some random places.  It hasn't made any demands of the village.  That's all I know, I swear!"

After you let the poor fellow down, a guardsman whistles and says, "What are you doing to this man?"

"We might as well get this over with.  Let's go get Reddrick!"

Go to the edge of the crater and survey Reddrick's camp.

|  You sneak around the camp.  It seems that Reddrick has a tent all by himself, far away from the main group.  And it's unguarded!  How lucky!

Friendly/Neutral NPC's

Janna Whitesnake: She looks at you in a bit of worry.

Broken Jaw: Speaking is a little difficult.  -1 to all rolls from the pain. Painless for 4 turns.

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Known (click to show/hide)

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside a warehouse identified as the main base of Becker.  Who is totally not James.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside Udyr's house.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2012, 09:47:52 pm »

Omega Arcanist... nice.  That'll make learning new Ianus spells a lot easier.  Also, +2 to the ones I do have* should mean overshot city.

*What happened to my +1 from my int? 

Thrakor grabs Janna's arm.

"Look, we may be outclassed here, but we can't just sit around and hope they win.  We need to go after them."

After them!  If I get a clear shot, attack Rorrick, trying to form a new spell.  Focusing on Arcane Pulse, attempt to shape the generated energy into a blade, turning it into an arcane slash.

Given I'll have a +1 to it from Ianus (and another +1 if it ends up being level 1), trying to form a new spell here is an acceptable risk.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:58:48 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:11 pm »

Omega Arcanist... nice.  That'll make learning new Ianus spells a lot easier.  Also, +2 to the ones I do have* should mean overshot city.

*What happened to my +1 from my int? 

Thrakor grabs Janna's arm.

"Look, we may be outclassed here, but we can't just sit around and hope they win.  We need to go after them."

After them!  If I get a clear shot, attack Rorrick, trying to form a new spell.  Focusing on Arcane Pulse, attempt to shape the generated energy into a blade, turning it into an arcane slash.

Given I'll have a +1 to it from Ianus (and another +1 if it ends up being level 1), trying to form a new spell here is an acceptable risk.

How do I say this without being an overly protective GM....

Do you guys remember that Elemental that Djork fought?  If you do, then stay with me.

Now, that Adult Force Dragon that Nirur is going after, that Irony summoned?  That Dragon eats Elementals like that for breakfast.

And Rorrick?  He could go up to that Force Dragon and make it his bitch.

Just sayin'.

This is the last overt hint I give.  Period.

Also, the plus +1 from stats only goes into learning spells, not using them.  They help other things as well, though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:54:02 pm by Baradine »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2012, 10:02:16 pm »

Also, the plus +1 from stats only goes into learning spells, not using them.  They help other things as well, though.

Ah.  You probably said that and I missed it somewhere.  Still useful, though.

I went back and reread the mission, and it's certainly arguable that I have fulfilled the mission requirements right now.  Still, I don't feel right not following them, at least.

As such, updated action is below.

Thrakor grabbed Janna's arm.  "Look, he's way more than we can fight, but we can't just leave him behind.  Let's follow them and see what is going on."

Follow at a safe distance.  Avoid getting involved.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:01 pm »

Um. Wait it out...?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:01 am »

"West, then take the first right. Got it.

"Hey, you! Do you know what lies along the road west?"

Ask for more info, and when finished, try to levitate once more!

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2012, 02:09:17 am »

'Burn the tent, burn the tent!' scream my instincts.  Alas, that would attract too much attention from his group of bandits.  I guess I'll just have to go in there and try not to cause too much of a ruckus.

Summon my Diminutive Imp. Sending in the imp first, move into the tent with my companion and commander to face Reddrick.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2012, 07:06:40 am »

((I always knew my downfall would come from interrogating civilians.))

"Learning where the dragon is so I can prevent it from slaughtering even more people. Will you stop us, or let us leave to search for it?"

Nudge Ochita into healing the civilian and try to talk our way out of detainment.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 34, End of a Struggle and The Law
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2012, 02:45:01 pm »

Turn 34

Nirur and Ochita might be getting into a bit of trouble....

Ah.  You probably said that and I missed it somewhere.  Still useful, though.

I went back and reread the mission, and it's certainly arguable that I have fulfilled the mission requirements right now.  Still, I don't feel right not following them, at least.

As such, updated action is below.

Thrakor grabbed Janna's arm.  "Look, he's way more than we can fight, but we can't just leave him behind.  Let's follow them and see what is going on."

Follow at a safe distance.  Avoid getting involved.

You exit out of the warehouse through the hole Rorrick made, upon you comes a scene of pure destruction.  You guess from the carnage that the battle has destroyed at least half of the city!  You can see explosions and such in the distance, and you run towards the source.

There, you see Bale, Janus and Dell fighting Rorrick in an incredibly pitched battle.  Rorrick, Bale and Dell are fighting each other by using pure steel and these strange... blades of wind would be the best to describe.  Janus is providing impeccable cover to Bale and Dell by using his fire to make sure he doesn't finish one of them off.  Which happens quite a few times.  After clashing, Rorrick manages to knock Bale and Dell over, and goes in for the kill.  However Janus doesn't slip up once, and attacks with fire- but it seems that Rorrick's attack was a feint!  He appears in front of Janus, and after disarming him, stabs him through the heart and cuts off one of his arms.  He stumbles, eyes wide, and drops to his knees.  Rorrick kicks him in the face, knocking him to the ground.  He survives for a faint few seconds before his eyes glaze over, and his chest stills.

While you breathe a very internal sigh of relief for not having to deal with that, you also know that Janus's death symbolizes the death of the other two as well.  However, a deus ex machina saves the day.  Out comes two men, one holding a rapier, the other holding a staff of some sort.  Looking at the man with the staff, you recognize him as being from the archaeological guild.  You see another symbol above the guild crest as well.  | You're not one hundred percent sure, but you believe that symbol means he's the leader of the guild!

Rorrick looks around at his now four opponents, and smiles. 

"I know when there's a fight I can't win.  You can keep this city for now, Bale.  And Bane, how nice it is to see you," he says, gesturing at the newcomer holding the rapier.  He then runs off faster than you can believe.  Bale, Bane and Dell make a move to go after him, but your guild leader holds up his arm.

"While we would be able to beat him, we would only cause more casualties on this day.  And I'm not quite sure if we can catch up, he is quite fast."

He looks over at where you have been hiding in the pile of rubble, and says, "You are one of the new recruits, yes?  Thrakor, I believe.  Come over here, I have something I wish to say."

Seeing no harm in it, you go over to the guild leader.

"You have done quite well.  In these conditions, most would have gone back to the guild and reported 'success'.  However, you stayed, and for that, I commend you.  I hereby promote you to "Excavator".  You can skip that "Grave Digger" rank, it really does have quite a dreadful name.  When you get back to the guild, go to the mission clerk, he will have all of your new accomodations and new rights and responsibilities ready for you.  Oh, and a bit of a reward as well."

As you turn to leave, he notices your missing finger.  He smiles and says, "Let me fix that."

Amazingly, your pinky regrows from the base!  Looks like the pinky you had found is just going to have to do as a memento.  He also heals Janna's wounds as she comes over to you.

"Hey, um, I'm sorry being so mean when I met you.  It was unacceptable for me to dislike you because you're a mage.  You're a cool guy, and you're pretty good at fighting as well."

She looks away for a second, and then says, "May... Maybe I can come and hang out with you a little at your guild, every once in a while?"  She seems pretty embarrassed to be asking this.

((If you haven't noticed by now, I have decided that Thrakor will be the resident heartthrob.))

Um. Wait it out...?

| The magic seems to wear off pretty quickly, and you don't think you'll be doing that again, now that you understand the spell.

"West, then take the first right. Got it.

"Hey, you! Do you know what lies along the road west?"

Ask for more info, and when finished, try to levitate once more!

| Alas, you ask everyone in town, and it seems that some of them don't even know about the town an hour away from here, let alone the city you want to go to.

|  Calling upon the wind, you manage to create upward loft, enough to suspend you in air.  Rather unfortunately, you can't sustain it too long without getting tired, and your speed is something you don't want to write home to mother.

You gain the spell Levitate!  It is a level 2 Complexo Ventus spell that allows you get a few inches off the ground.  Can only be sustained for two turns.  Movement speed is rather slow as well (-1 to dodging whilst in the air).  You gain +2 to Levitate!  You gain +1 to Complexo Ventus!

'Burn the tent, burn the tent!' scream my instincts.  Alas, that would attract too much attention from his group of bandits.  I guess I'll just have to go in there and try not to cause too much of a ruckus.

Summon my Diminutive Imp. Sending in the imp first, move into the tent with my companion and commander to face Reddrick.

|  You perfectly summon your imp, and send into the tent first, the three of you not far behind.  However, the second the imp enters the tent, it's connection to you severs, and a white-haired male walks out of the tent, carrying a longsword with a beautifully decorated silver handle, with a shining blue blade.  | You identify the blades material as... adamantine!?

He however, takes one look at you three goes back in the tent, and comes out carrying a generic iron longsword.

"I don't want to kill you three on accident, do I?"

Combat Begins Next Round

You gain +4 to Everto Voco!  You gain +3 to Appelo!  You gain Power over the Realm!  You gain +2 to Realm.

((I always knew my downfall would come from interrogating civilians.))

"Learning where the dragon is so I can prevent it from slaughtering even more people. Will you stop us, or let us leave to search for it?"

Nudge Ochita into healing the civilian and try to talk our way out of detainment.

|  Your words fail to convince him, and Ochita doesn't understand what you mean by the nudging him.

"Uh-huh.  Like anyone is here to take on that dragon.  Put down your weapons, you're coming with me."

Friendly/Neutral NPC's

Janna Whitesnake: She's looking at with slightly tinged pink cheeks.

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside a warehouse identified as the main base of Becker.  Who is totally not James.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside Udyr's house.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21