Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul  (Read 42863 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 30, Difficulty Up!
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2012, 09:08:17 pm »

I figured- that's what led to me rechecking those numbers for Mr. One In One Point Six Million Chance To Happen.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

The exact probability is 1/59374180.  Which is pretty goddamn low.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2012, 09:21:47 pm »

Which means I'm totally not to blame if you die or get kicked out of anywhere? :D
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2012, 04:35:09 am »

"Can nothing go RIGHT for me today!? Alright, calm down.  I just have to think rationally.  My small stature means I can't take this guy in a one-on-one, and I swear he made that fireball smaller with his punch...."

Put out the fire with Udyr's pillow before he burns to death.  Stab the non-burnt hand to the wall, and when he wakes up threaten him with more pain if he doesn't fess up.

"Oh, Udyr.  Despite how much I wanted to let you burn to death, I just can't have you die before you tell me where Reddrick is.  I would really rather neither of us dies here.  So, if you tell me where Reddrick is, I will let you live.  I think that's a fair trade, don't you?"   

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2012, 06:07:11 am »

"Aaaauuuuuurrrrgghh!"

Kira slumped to the ground with an expression of dismay. Why didn't she browse any tomes for the layout of the lan-...oh right. There was nothing useful in the library.

"Ok...so I am completely and utterly lost. I can't ask my kin for help, despite being in my cultural hometown...

"Well, at least I know trying to make up my own spells won't hurt."

Try to sense the general layout of the land through scrying.

Try to use the wind to be my senses.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2012, 06:32:20 am »

"Oh .. Alright, then. Any tips on not insulting it?"

Go to the library for a map to my destination and a book with force dragon etiquette before setting off.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 31, The "Plot" Thickens
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2012, 05:03:26 pm »

Turn 31

Small retcon, his name is Bale Whitesnake, not Withersnake.

Also, magic spells have been changed.  If you will look through some of your spells, you will notice that quite a few of those +.5's have been changed to DC 1 or DC 2.  This "DC" stands for Damage Class.  Damage Class is, instead of having the arbitrary +1 to a roll, determines these things:

Potential Damage

What it can be blocked and resisted by

And general difficulty

An example of this new system in play:

A mage sends out a DC 2 attack (let's assume that all the rolls are 5, for now), and another mage counters with a DC 1 attack.  The DC 1 spell is overpowered, but the other spell is reduced in power by how much DC the defending spell had.  For a larger example, Mage A sends out a DC 7 spell, and Mage B sends out a DC 4 spell.  The DC 7 spell overpowers the DC 4, but has been reduced to DC 3 in power.

With rolls, it would work like this.  Mage A and Mage B both cast a DC 2 spell, but Mage A rolls a 3, whilst Mage B rolled a 4.  Mage A's spell goes down to DC 1, so Mage B's spell overpowers it.

Weapons also act similar to this, e.g. a DC 4 sword would be faster, sharper and less likely to break than a DC 1 weapon, which is all you guys have.

I'll also be changing the OP a bit to match this, along with some revisions for whe- if you guys die.  It'll have to do with being a non-mage and the like.

((Wait, does this mean every time someone rolled a 1 they rolled four 1s?))

Go see whoever I'm supposed to see now that I've completed my next mission. The clerk, was it?

You go to the clerk, crow in tow, and tell him you completed your mission.

"Well, then, here's your reward," He hands you ten gold coins, "Come with me, I have your pick of available items ready."

He leads you down a hallway, and you go into a rather dark lit room, except for a table littered with several items.

"Here's all the stuff you can have," the clerk says, "They're labeled as to what they do, so take your time."

There is:

A Ring of Heightened Learning (Every time you would gain x amount of experience, you gain x + .5x instead)

A Tome of Fire

A Mace of Unerring Accuracy (+1 to hit)

A Sword of Frost (A sword that does additional frost damage (extra damage roll))

You may take one item.

So you're saying here that Irony managed to roll eight straight ones?  Gnarly.

Thrakor looks at Janna and sighs.  "Look, I know you're banged up, but there's nothing I can do for you now.  This is our chance- we've got to move on.  I'm sure the guild healers will be willing to patch you up after this.  Let's get going, for your father."

Search for the victims and/or Becker.

"I wasn't going to complain anyways.  Besides, you're still moving on, and you've lost a finger.  A little bruise like this isn't anything compared to that," Her speech was a little muffled, but you made out her words well enough.

| You walk around, evading the guards, until you finally happen upon a rather large room.  It is expected of a warehouse to house such a large space, but it is rather empty.  There are a few tables scattered here and there, but no more.  As you examine the room, a voice booms out.

"Ah, finally!  The guests have arrived.  Well, they're not the guests that I had hoped for, but guests nonetheless."

A man steps out of one of the shadows, and you recognize him as the one talking.  He is dressed in formal attire, a black and white suit and tie get up.  His hair is black, and his eyes hold a piercing, green stare.  He smiles at you, holding a rather beautiful spear in one hand.

"As you may have guessed, I am the man some call Becker.  I suspect you have come here in search of Bale Whitesnake, correct?  Well, rather unfortunately, he has not arrived yet, although this was the time scheduled.  Your father always has been one to show up late for a party, right Janna?"

Still clutching her jaw, all she did was glare at the man.

He laughed, "Yes, I suppose you wouldn't answer me.  You probably don't even know who I am.  Shame.  Perhaps I should tell -"

"Rorrick!"

The name was yelled throughout the halls, and out appeared three men.  One was a rather short man, covered in plate armor, carrying an axe.  The other was a lightly dressed middle aged man carrying a rapier.  The last... wait a second, the last man is Janus Dovian!  You saw his portrait on the wall of his house.  Oh man, he is not going to like what you did to his wife....

"Ah, Bale, it's just about time you showed up," He seems to be directing his speech at the man wielding the rapier.  You assume that this is Janna's father.  You look at her for a second, and she is simply in shock.

"Rorrick, I never thought it would have come this far.  Why are you doing this?" Bale said.

Rorrick, Becker, whatever his name was, looked a little miffed at this, "Why?  You know why, Bale."

Janna, jumping out of her shock, says, "Wait a second, I thought his name was Becker!"

Rorrick simply looks at her with disdain.  Bale, however, answers her question, "Dear, it was merely an alias, just like James." She seems even more confused at this, but decides to be quiet.

"Yes, with all the confusion out of the way, don't you suppose it's time we settled this.  Oh, don't worry you two," He gestures at you and Janna, "I have some entertainment for you as well."

And out walks to people, one male, and the other female.  The male is a Greygim, the other human.  The female walks up to you and says, "I'll be your opponent for the day." And gets into a ready stance.  The Greygim does the same to Janna as well.

Combat Begins Next Round

"Can nothing go RIGHT for me today!? Alright, calm down.  I just have to think rationally.  My small stature means I can't take this guy in a one-on-one, and I swear he made that fireball smaller with his punch...."

Put out the fire with Udyr's pillow before he burns to death.  Stab the non-burnt hand to the wall, and when he wakes up threaten him with more pain if he doesn't fess up.

"Oh, Udyr.  Despite how much I wanted to let you burn to death, I just can't have you die before you tell me where Reddrick is.  I would really rather neither of us dies here.  So, if you tell me where Reddrick is, I will let you live.  I think that's a fair trade, don't you?"   

You put out the flames and stab his hand to the wall.  He wakes up the second you stab his hand.

| He smirks at you and says, "Hah!  Like you could do anything to Reddrick anyways!  He's one of the strongest swordsman there is!  The likes of you could never beat him.  I'll tell you where he is, but only because it will lead to your swift death!"

He tells you that Reddrick's band of criminals is hiding in a crater three kilometers east of the town.

"But, it's not like I'm still not betraying Reddrick..." he says, and before you can stop him, he pull the dagger out of his hand and stabs his own heart.  He flops over, dead.

"Aaaauuuuuurrrrgghh!"

Kira slumped to the ground with an expression of dismay. Why didn't she browse any tomes for the layout of the lan-...oh right. There was nothing useful in the library.

"Ok...so I am completely and utterly lost. I can't ask my kin for help, despite being in my cultural hometown...

"Well, at least I know trying to make up my own spells won't hurt."

Try to sense the general layout of the land through scrying.

Try to use the wind to be my senses.

| Whilst you are unable to scry, you gain a general sense of where you are.  You know which way is which, now.

You gain the spell Bearings! A level 1 spell, it works like a mental compass, telling you the cardinal directions.  You gain +4 to Bearings!  You gain +3 to Ortus Aer!  You gain +2 to Elementus!

"Oh .. Alright, then. Any tips on not insulting it?"

Go to the library for a map to my destination and a book with force dragon etiquette before setting off.

| You do not need a map, as you will be teleported to your destination, but you quickly find a book on General Dragon etiquette.

The general gist of the book is to be always polite, never disrespect the dragon, and never act confrontational.  Basically, treat it as if it were a god on earth.

You then head to the teleporter, and he gives you a bead that will let you teleport back to the guild when you are finished.  You are quickly teleported to Ggryymirr, and you find yourself in a village with a few destroyed buildings, but is relatively intact.

Friendly/Neutral NPC's

Janna: She has gotten into a ready stance, and takes some sort of herb.  Given that she stops grimacing in pain, you assume it was some type of anesthesia. 

Broken Jaw: Speaking is a little difficult.  -1 to all rolls from the pain. Painless for 6 turns.

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Known (click to show/hide)

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside a warehouse identified as the main base of Becker.  Who is totally not James.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside Udyr's house.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:19:20 am by Baradine »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2012, 05:10:36 pm »

Ring of heightened learning ring of heightened learning ring of heightened learning!

Hug crow in celebration of the best item ever.

Then go find someplace safe to practice and try out arcane pulse.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »

((Lucky.))

Ask around about the dragon. Where its lair likely is, if it's made any demands or just wants to pillage, if it claims any titles, and if its gender is known. State that we're here from the mage's guild to see if we can peaceably stop the dragon's attacks.

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2012, 07:46:42 pm »

Retrieve my dagger, making care not to clean the blood off.  Then, as I leave to meet with my commander and tell him where Reddrick is, Summon my Diminutive Imp, and command it to burn the house down after I leave.

"Commander, Reddrick is holed up in a crater three kilometers east of town.  Oh, and I noticed something odd.  The bandit, Udyr, made a fireball shrink when he punched it.  He was also saying that Reddrick trained him in fist-fighting, while Reddrick is a known swordsman.  I don't think that is just a coincidence."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02:22 pm »

That reminds me- clearly that last bandit was a dwarf, given he could punch out a spell, and got madder when he got hurt.

"Hello, Mr. Whitesnake.  Misters Dovian and Udagar, I presume?  We've come to assist."

Thrakor then faces his opponent. "Let's do this, then."

Combo Alpha (Arcane Pulse + Weak Push) the female facing me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2012, 08:34:20 pm »

"General direction, westwards. Now perhaps my kinfolk will know of my presence...

"Heh, compasses."

Begin the journey westwards!

Solers Inficio {Imbue Minor Melee} on my shield as I go!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:22 pm »

Speaking of heightened learning, how does the Arch. guild boost work?

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2012, 09:58:02 pm »

+1 exp to whatever you do.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 32
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2012, 01:42:16 am »

Turn 32

Ring of heightened learning ring of heightened learning ring of heightened learning!

Hug crow in celebration of the best item ever.

Then go find someplace safe to practice and try out arcane pulse.

You choose the ring and quickly go find a large, abandoned room designated for low level spell practice.

| You would barely get any better from such lousy practice, but the ring helps you along.

+2 to Arcane Pulse!  +1 to Redimio Ianus! You have mastered Arcane Pulse! It is now instant cast.

((Lucky.))

Ask around about the dragon. Where its lair likely is, if it's made any demands or just wants to pillage, if it claims any titles, and if its gender is known. State that we're here from the mage's guild to see if we can peaceably stop the dragon's attacks.

| Not a single one of the people you ask even give you the time of day.

Retrieve my dagger, making care not to clean the blood off.  Then, as I leave to meet with my commander and tell him where Reddrick is, Summon my Diminutive Imp, and command it to burn the house down after I leave.

"Commander, Reddrick is holed up in a crater three kilometers east of town.  Oh, and I noticed something odd.  The bandit, Udyr, made a fireball shrink when he punched it.  He was also saying that Reddrick trained him in fist-fighting, while Reddrick is a known swordsman.  I don't think that is just a coincidence."

You report your findings to your commander.

"You're just seeing this, Leo.  These guys are just regular bandits.  Even if one of them was good with a sword, it wouldn't matter against magic.  Oh, and good work.  I'll be sure to mention your outstanding contribution to this mission.  Let's head out," He says.  He gestures to the other member of your group.

If there's anything you want to do before raiding Reddrick's camp, do it now.

That reminds me- clearly that last bandit was a dwarf, given he could punch out a spell, and got madder when he got hurt.

"Hello, Mr. Whitesnake.  Misters Dovian and Udagar, I presume?  We've come to assist."

Thrakor then faces his opponent. "Let's do this, then."

Combo Alpha (Arcane Pulse + Weak Push) the female facing me.

You say your piece, and attack the female.

| The blast rips out of your hand, being a little extra strong, but putting you off balance for your follow up (+1 DC, -1 to Weak Push cast roll). | The push barely  does a thing (-1 to effect). || | She tries to dodge, but your blast still manages to slam into her left abdomen, completely obliterating that side.  | Your follow up weak push manages to throw her to the ground fairly hard as well, and the blow smashes her left elbow.

You gain +5 to Redimio Ianus!  You gain +2 to Ianus Somes!  You gain +4 to Ianus!  You gain +3 to Mind!  You gain a level in Redimio Ianus!  You gain the title Cosmos Cat!

Jannus:| She swings with full ferocity, but it will leave her exposed if she doesn't strike home (+1 to DC, -1 to Counterattack roll).  ||  | She swings across the Greygims chest, drawing a deep wound, but dealing no damage to any organs.

3 vs. 1: (There is no way I am going to roll for this) Janus, being the only mage in the fight, opens up with a with a barrage of fireballs, followed up by a large tornado of fire.  Rorrick merely laughs and swings his spear at the fire, the spells dissipating into nothing the second it touches his spear.

"Still relying on his technique?" said Bale, trying to bait him.

Rorrick only gives him a smile, "Given that he was the best out of all of us, I would think so."  He then shot forward towards Bale with a speed that couldn't be followed by mortal eyes.

Their weapons clashed, and they were a flurry of movement for a few seconds before Rorrick quickly gained the upper hand, cutting Bale across the chest and kicking him away.  Dell runs up to him afterwards, but is rebuffed nearly as quickly as Bale.  However, he is unharmed thanks to his armor.

Flicking the blood of of his blade, Rorrick taunts, "Is this really all you have?"

"General direction, westwards. Now perhaps my kinfolk will know of my presence...

"Heh, compasses."

Begin the journey westwards!

Solers Inficio {Imbue Minor Melee} on my shield as I go!

You head westward | and you somehow imbue a shield with melee properties.  Anyways, | You manage to get to a smaller town.  You reckon you are at the eastern edge of Tantalan by now.

You gain +3 to Solers Inficio!  You gain the meta magic Inficio!  You gain +2 to Inficio!  You tap into the strength of the Realm!  You gain +1 to Realm!

Friendly/Neutral NPC's

Janna Whitesnake: She flourishes and prepares for the next go around.

Broken Jaw: Speaking is a little difficult.  -1 to all rolls from the pain. Painless for 5 turns.

--

Bale Whitesnake: He grimaces, holding his chest.

Cut Chest: Non life threatening, such wounds can add up.

--

Janus Dovian: Frustrated at his spells inability to work.

--

Dell Udagar Jr.: Determined to beat back Rorrick.

Enemy NPC's

Woman Thug: Holding her guts in from your devastating blow.  She manages to take some type of painkiller, though.

Missing Left Abdomen: A fatal blow if not treated within a few hours.  Incredibly painful (-2 to rolls from the pain -1 to rolls for ten turns)

Cracked Left Elbow Joint: -1 to rolls with the left hand.

--

Male Thug: Taking the hit like a real man.

Cut Chest: Non life threatening, such wounds can add up.

--

Rorrick:  Twirling his spear around.

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside a warehouse identified as the main base of Becker.  Who is totally not James.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside Udyr's house.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:19:24 pm by Baradine »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21