Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fall of loriturdim "Spinestower", a quick report.  (Read 995 times)

Arcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The fall of loriturdim "Spinestower", a quick report.
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:15:08 pm »

So first report on a fort, "spinestower", being one of my more successful forts having made it to the end of it's forth year so far with plenty of food and drinks and trade products, also having 'defeated' my first ever titan who happened to be made of SALT in year 2.

Now the main focus of this fort was for me to play around with siege engines and operators and this objective was working fine, 6 operator at legendary skill firing catapults all day worked fine. ballistae with wooden ammo.... didnt work so well...
It turns out that although listed on embark, the amount of metal I had found has so far been Zilch, nudda, diddly squat.
this of course messed my plans up a little, but not by much as I was starting to import a lot of goods.

So having a fort swimming in crafts, a healthy trade with elfs and humans and plenty food with a small force of siege engines by year 3 and a 20 strong recruit militia, I had good hopes of survival... or so i thought.
It seems that this fort gains an unfortunate amount of attention from necromancers, having caught 2 by this 3rd year, not a problem I thought, I was working on ways to weaponize them anyway 8)

Now everything was going well as the 3rd year hit winter, until some of my corpse stockpile started to wake up and try to engage my dorfs in friendly hugs and such, Realising I had another necromancer slip through my cage traps ( I have no idea how..) I sent my 20 recruits to deal with the zombies, whilst fighting these zombies they bumped into the necromancer, I immediately ordered the recruits to bash his head in... 6 recruits during the chase bleed out from missing limbs and other such petty flesh wounds inflicted by the undead, all the while the problem necromancer happily skips past all attempts by the recruits to end his life. So I draft my 7 miners in to a squad to deal with him exclusively, they manage this within a few minutes of the order going out and mop up the remaining undead..
The deaths caused by the undead attack begin a small tantrum session as unfortunately I have a large population of idlers causing love and happiness and babies with their constant partying....
so I start getting a few angry dorfs, Some melancholy folk starving themselves, but not enough to cause my fort too many issues, So I Persisted on , Whilst also planning some !FUN!...

During the summer of this Forth year several more necromancers have been caught , a grand total of 8 of the scheming buggers who's cages have promptly been linked to a lever for !FUN! purposes...
Now the Fort had a surprise visit from the giantess "Ustimketh Samakest, Ade Enoreafuni Viyo ida's" who splatted a Gatherer and pet gosling, along with breaking several arms and heads from several of the recruits I sent to dissuade it, before it charged into a cage trap.
first giant I've ever had has now had it's caged linked for !Fun! purposes in the legendary dining room..
Now after this giant attack some of the wounded managed to find the hospital, which after finally being built was then accidently flooded by it's central well due to an oversight in design.... 2 dorfs drowned in the hospital, whilst several others died of infection afterwards.
Now this 'Would' have been all fine and dandy if one of the dorfs hadn't of been a member of the founding 7, a miner who was friends with most of the dorfs in the fort.

Thus my second tantrum season for this fort incurred, except I knew this one wasn't going to pass without the fort crumbling.
So I decided to have some !fun! and created a burrow in the range I had set up for my ballistae, all militia and many children sat around in this burrow, having picnics and enjoying themselves whilst my ballistae had some "target practise".
wood ballista bolts may not be good at taking out adults or armored foes, but many children had their heads caved in, prompting their parents to selfishly rage about the loss of their spawn.

Sealing off my fort from the outside I had a content dorf pull my !FUN! lever, Thus all necromancer were released in sight of the corpse stockpile and the giant in my dining room excitedly greeted my dorfs. I also had my miners dig out my large resevoir of infinite river water,  straight into the dining room.
A goblin ambush also made its way inside my fort several gobbos getting caught in traps but a few join the party and take out a few dorfs.
Berserking dorfs also added extra violence. " urist mcrockcrafter strikes urist mcdoctor in the head, jamming the skull into the brain"
During these months of !FUN! the popluation of dorfs dropped from around 140 to the current 27 who have managed to kill most of the necros and undead and the giantess (who is now undead) walked into a cage trap.
now at the begining of winter the 27 survivers (and dropping) are dodging the remaining undead as they slowly go insane from the many corpses around them and lack of drink...

So the fall of Loriturdim "spinestower" is soon to pass......

and not one siege :'(   

I would have included pics of the fort and ballistae range but I have no idea how to do so. :')

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: The fall of loriturdim "Spinestower", a quick report.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:13 pm »

I had a fort go 20+ years without a singal seige...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Arcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fall of loriturdim "Spinestower", a quick report.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »

I had prepared all those siege engines for a siege that never came!

*sighs* :(

next fort i'll annoy the elves...