Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-Newbie Help  (Read 1239 times)

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re-Newbie Help
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:12:55 am »

Hi all,
i quit dwarf fortress quite some time ago, for lacking of time, and yesterday i began again,with the new version.

I noticed an increase of difficulty:

when i played adventure mode, last time i created some adventurous ppl ,which made some quest, succeded ,until they found a bigger enemy and obviously got killed.

Since yesterday i started 4-5 times, only to die at the FIRST encounter.
Always.

Am i missing something? is there some gameplay change that i didn't see that increased the difficulty?

Thank you

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Re-Newbie Help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:32 am »

Shift+A to aim attack

Enemies are better at aiming now

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

I already aim the attack at the more easy/solid zone,related to their equipment...

In the last 2 attempts i've been snipered from a hill and died even before seeing the outlaw, and i've been hammered down (literally) :|

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »

Train sneaking and shield user. Train on animals more before attempting to fight bandits. Bring companions to soak up enemy archers.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »

Train sneaking and shield user. Train on animals more before attempting to fight bandits. Bring meat shields to soak up enemy archers.

FTFY

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

xoseph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:44 pm »

use C to switch things to close combat, and go wrestle a crab until you are a legendary fighter.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »

Run agility and secondary strength, always use a shield and train on small animals. When you fight try to ensure only one can attack you at once, and smack him, back off, wait for him to come to you and smack him again. If you have high enough speed and have a guy alone you can use diagonals to flank him between his attacks and strike frome the side. Dodge is your best friend- it protects you where armor can't. Having a large group of companions also increases enemy party size, making it a double-edged sword. Also, you can level throwing/archery by picking up rocks asnd throwing them at your feet. Don't forget to drop your backpack before you enter melee.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:00:21 pm »

Break wrestling in case of elite lasher.

Grab throat, choke throat, strangle and finish off with a good slice to the throat and a stab to the eye.

~OR~

Just inflict a good lung injury. A decent fighter can punch an elite lasher in the chest, bruise the lungs through even an iron breastplate and simply walk away as nature finishes off your enemies.

Upper body = good
Head = good
Upper legs down to the feet = good crippling target
Upper arms = great crippling point
Lower arms/legs = Great severing point

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:26 pm »

Oh, and always go for the feet. Kills their speed and dodge, their two best friends, in one go.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)