Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doctor trainer - Drop in and see him  (Read 1918 times)

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doctor trainer - Drop in and see him
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »

Basically I want to build a tower or channel a hole to suitable area and drop stuff like vermin and mcnoob fighters back teet on people to creat light injuries for doctor training.
Will dropping stuff like vermin and teeth work or is it too light.
Is there a maximium height/drop where they become lethal?

last doctor was a quick selectio who went on break with bodies all around him and turned out not to care much. Now having carefully selected  dwarfs who seem more people fiendly, I need to train them up with loads of easy work so they can handle the bad stuff.

reccomendations? remember hurt not smash to death.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor trainer - Drop in and see him
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:35:58 pm »

Dropping is somewhat OP right now, vermin won't work unless its from pretty high up. dropping from above 25 kills a dwarf, so dropping something heavy from 15, a cow maybe? Horseis and other similar creatures, try that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:37:27 pm »

I have accidentally killed some haulers by dumping bolts onto a downward ramp. Dumping goblin/troll bone/body parts has injured some.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:05 pm »

Dropping is somewhat OP right now, vermin won't work unless its from pretty high up. dropping from above 25 kills a dwarf, so dropping something heavy from 15, a cow maybe? Horseis and other similar creatures, try that.

Droping was severely nerfed in the latest update, I think. In my recent experience it has been less predictable and overall weaker. As was said by Icy, it may be a better idea to drop things of more predictable weight.  Dropping one object hits only once, as well, so you've less of a chance to kill someone.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:37 pm »

Dropping people from 2z or more using a bridge may cripple/break/crush dwarves the same way cave ins at those heights do.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:57:30 pm »

What about creating a useless military group full of unarmoured dwarves, then stationing them on a bridge and dropping them a few levels?  One level just stuns a dwarf, but two or three should be enough for a simple injury (nothing too complicated like floating ribs ripping lungs).  If you filled the drop zone to 2/7 or 3/7 water, they'd also be automatically cleaned as they get carried to the hospital, drastically reducing the chances of infection.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:35:49 am »

What about creating a useless military group full of unarmoured dwarves, then stationing them on a bridge and dropping them a few levels?  One level just stuns a dwarf, but two or three should be enough for a simple injury (nothing too complicated like floating ribs ripping lungs).  If you filled the drop zone to 2/7 or 3/7 water, they'd also be automatically cleaned as they get carried to the hospital, drastically reducing the chances of infection.

Good Idea, will implement something like that in my next fortress.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 06:50:20 am »

Dwarfen healthcare at its best.

Dropping weapons and ammo is a bad idea, those things can really hurt dwarfs. I think something light might to the job, like kittens.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:19:31 am »

Repeating training spears in the meeting area.

Ziga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:59:06 am »

Repeating training spears in the meeting area.

What catastrophic changes in elf society changed their tile from E to e?
Goblin snatchers stole their Shift-key.