Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 850446 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9675 on: August 15, 2024, 03:30:57 am »

Those damn evil corporations putting addictive chemicals into my addictive chemicals!
*shakes fist*
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: August 15, 2024, 04:03:29 am »

Fine fine fine...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: August 16, 2024, 04:51:36 pm »

Those damn evil corporations putting addictive chemicals into my addictive chemicals!
*shakes fist*

''We put addictive chemicals into your addictive chemicals so you can get addicted while getting addicted!''
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: August 16, 2024, 06:18:31 pm »

If some degree of fairness, that's pretty close to literally one of the major reasons why there's so much salt and sugar in everything :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: August 17, 2024, 02:48:43 am »

I don't think salt is an addictive substance.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: August 17, 2024, 04:03:10 am »

I think anything that's pleasurable can be addictive. For most people eating salt is pleasurable and given the massive over consumption of salt I think it might be fair to say that many people are addicted to salt.

Edit: although maybe there's some medical definition difference between addiction, over consumption and such that would put it some other category technically. Still, people love eating salt, they crave salt and seek out and consume far more salt then is healthy. Seems like an addiction to me? Even if it's not the same thing as a caffeine addiction where you have physical downsides for stopping use.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 04:07:02 am by Criptfeind »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: August 17, 2024, 04:12:36 am »

I don't think salt is an addictive substance.

Hmmm

More like king big zultan.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 04:14:40 am by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: August 17, 2024, 11:48:16 am »

Seems like an addiction to me? Even if it's not the same thing as a caffeine addiction where you have physical downsides for stopping use.
Actually cutting salt out of your diet entirely will kill you, though, if I'm not misremembering (nope, double checked, you last a bit but it's eventually lethal). We need at least a bit daily or our bodies eventually stop working, heh. It's not much (I'm forgetting the rough amount off the top of my head and can't be arsed to look, but it's like 50 or 500 mg or something like that -- a quarter or less than the 2k daily recommended), but there's a minimum or you die.

Sugar in general is similar (though zero carb is apparently technically survivable in a way zero salt isn't), though processed sugar specifically isn't -- you can cut that out of your diet entirely without any issue but the cravings. There's pretty significant health consequences, in any case.

As far as I can recall neither of the pair are technically classified as addictive substances, but we 100% react to them in more or less the exact same manner, right down to cravings, dependency, and the possibility of overdose/abuse. Coke didn't exactly lose customers when it cut out the cocaine :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: August 19, 2024, 07:08:05 pm »

Are there any stretches to increase hip articulation? The inside is fine, I can almost put my foot behind my head, but they don't articulate outwards all that well which caused some bother today when I was thrown in Jitsu and my legs went further than they normally do. I've got a limp now, and I'd like to avoid that in future.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: August 19, 2024, 07:48:07 pm »

Probably things like Butterfly stretch, frog stretch, and pigeon stretch can slip into warm up routines. You can also just practice standing with legs as far apart as possible.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: August 20, 2024, 08:37:15 am »

Coke didn't exactly lose customers when it cut out the cocaine :P
Well, they didn't really cut out the cocaine. They used coca leaf extract before and they still use coca leaf extract now. It's true that the coca leaf extract now is decocainized so they're definitely sure there's no cocaine in it, but it wouldn't have been more than a trace to begin with, as I understand it. Snopes had a thing on this somewhere, if I remember right.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: August 24, 2024, 05:23:31 am »

Any duet songs where singers often sing diffirent things at the same time, such as there?? Just curious about such stuff. I amassed 250 songs in my music folder (goddamn), but only "EveR ∞ LastinG ∞ NighT" has something remotely like this. Lines being a right devil to arrange may be part of a reason it's so rare.  :P

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: August 28, 2024, 05:55:18 pm »

Relativity says there is no such thing as absolute velocity, but there is, I believe, such a thing as absolute acceleration.  That is, you can detect if you have zero acceleration.

Interestingly, I believe that angular velocity is absolute, not relative: it's possible to detect if you have zero angular velocity because if you have nonzero angular velocity in a rigid body then you have a detectable acceleration within the body.  That is - if two objects are rotating relative to each other, it's possible to determine which one(s) is(are) "really" rotating.

I can't think of any interesting implications of this, it's just kind of interesting that while linear velocity has no absolute zero, angular velocity does.

I suddenly wonder, though... if you have a rigid body traveling very fast relative to another body, like relativistic speeds, and that rigid body is rotating... I wonder what interesting effects occur because one edge of the body will be moving faster compared to the other, and because relativistic effects get more extreme the closer you are to the speed of light, is there any interesting effect due to that "leading" versus "lagging" differential?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: August 28, 2024, 06:32:16 pm »

If I understand correctly, the light coming from different surfaces of the rotating object it will be red/blue shifted slightly based on whether they are approaching or moving away from the viewer, but only by the speed the object is rotating, so unless its rate of rotation is also relativistic (like its speed at the equator is significant.), and the light will also be Doppler-shifted as the object approaches/passes you. That understanding comes from watching Dr. Becky's explanations.

I don't know if we've ever directly observed an object moving a significant portion of c with like, anything other than an astronomy telescope from astronomical distances.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: August 28, 2024, 06:42:16 pm »

About absolute rotation, there's that thing called Mach's principle, that I could never quite understand. But it's right up your alley, methinks, and might be worth a read.

With acceleration, you can always detect proper acceleration (the thing that shows on an accelerometer), but it doesn't give you any sense of global acceleration. Anything you could call absolute. For example, you can have two free-falling bodies accelerate towards each other in their mutual gravitational field, but their on-board accelerometers won't show anything.

As to your actual wondering, it's beyond my pay grade. There's the transverse relativistic doppler, but that's more when the sideways motion is relativistic (so, implausibly fast rotation). I'm thinking then, maybe the effects are just as negligible as with a regular, slow-moving rotating objects? Some asymmetry between the two sides?
I don't know. I'm just an Ackchyually guy.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647