Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 850494 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9615 on: July 11, 2024, 03:15:16 pm »

Eh, might be hard to keep those googles and the mask sealed.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: July 11, 2024, 03:19:22 pm »

Pretty sure Google works very hard to keep everything unsealed so they can profit from it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: July 11, 2024, 03:42:14 pm »

Yeah you're basically facing swelling and gas pocket formation from vacuum, burns/frostbite from extreme temperatures, and water/air loss from orifices (and a small amount of water loss through skin). The radiation dosage is nasty too, but you want to be limiting your time outside anyway, because no suit that allows you to do work is going to provide adequate radiation shielding. A skinsuit, or just a helmet, could indeed work for emergencies.

Honestly I think building better, more dexterous and reliable robots that can be remotely operated in a sort of vr game and motion-tracker-like manner from inside is the best for casual maintenance and inspection of a permanent structure like a space station. You want to limit the time the astronauts need to spend outside, it takes hours for them to suit up and disrobe, you're putting their lives at risk any time they have to go out just due to the possibility of equipment failures. I've even considered suggesting developing a remote operated camera drone with nothing but some rcs thrusters and maybe a claw it can anchor itself with that can just be deployed out the airlock, for inspecting the exterior. But it might not be good enough for accurate inspections of fine details, only locating trouble spots that need to be examined more closely.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: July 11, 2024, 04:00:57 pm »

Pretty sure Google works very hard to keep everything unsealed so they can profit from it.
I is good engliski.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: July 12, 2024, 02:09:19 am »

I wonder if one of those deep sea diving suits work in space.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: July 12, 2024, 08:07:35 am »

They have to worry about a crushing force, while space suits have to worry about the exact opposite. So probably not.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: July 12, 2024, 03:35:12 pm »

They have to worry about a crushing force, while space suits have to worry about the exact opposite. So probably not.
So it would slurp the diving suit off you?  ???

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: July 12, 2024, 09:18:45 pm »

More likely it would balloon and rupture.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: July 13, 2024, 11:27:03 am »

It might work for a short period of time.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: July 22, 2024, 08:04:06 am »

So in quite a few space sci-fi shows, Star Trek and Star Wars especially, when one ship wants to flee from another ship, and the two ships are currently heading toward each other, the fleeing ship will often turn around and then warp - in the direction their opponent was already heading.

Why is this?  Wouldn't it be much more effective to jump to warp/hyperspace close to the direction you're facing, and make the pursuer have to turn around, rather than the other way?

Even if warp/jump is basically line of sight (which it isn't for Trek at least, they can change heading while in warp), you'd still be better off jumping some distance without turning, then drop out and change direction, then warp in desired direction, wouldn't you?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: July 22, 2024, 08:17:45 am »

Soft space operas don't usually pay attention to reality. The brain says the best way to escape is to turn and run, so they'll apply it in situations where it's nonsense.

Been rereading The Expanse and it's quite refreshing on that front. Ships have to fli-and-burn to stop, battles take place over ridiculous distances, and in previous book I'd read there was an instance where some ships were trying to catch up to some others to destroy them, and they'd accelerated in an attempt to do a fly-by torpedoing that lasted all of a fraction of a second because of the relative speeds involved. Doesn't apply the usual nonsense space tropes that seem good because you're working on the basis of terrestrial travel rather than travel in a vacuum.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: July 25, 2024, 01:52:49 am »

Star Trek actually does have some references to gravitational motion, although matching orbits is rarely a thing. I think the Original series was overall better on that front.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: July 27, 2024, 08:36:16 pm »

So, what is up with my middle-inside toenails? They've got a weird cross section, like this:

____
_/       \_

The little rims on the side seem to prevent them from being ingrown, but they've got a completely flat top and sharp angles down to the rims. Is that normal or do I have the world's worst superpower?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: July 28, 2024, 04:03:53 am »

I dunno but my little toe nails are square we can be toenail freaks together.
I make Spellcrafts!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: July 28, 2024, 08:15:21 am »

Soft space operas don't usually pay attention to reality. The brain says the best way to escape is to turn and run, so they'll apply it in situations where it's nonsense.

Been rereading The Expanse and it's quite refreshing on that front. Ships have to fli-and-burn to stop, battles take place over ridiculous distances, and in previous book I'd read there was an instance where some ships were trying to catch up to some others to destroy them, and they'd accelerated in an attempt to do a fly-by torpedoing that lasted all of a fraction of a second because of the relative speeds involved. Doesn't apply the usual nonsense space tropes that seem good because you're working on the basis of terrestrial travel rather than travel in a vacuum.
When I wrote about space battles I always emphasized the wait between the missiles being fired and hitting. And how fragile ships are. And the necessity of constantly dodging.

It's not so much like a naval battle, it's more like a modern long-range dogfight.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 647