Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 696859 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9570 on: June 25, 2024, 07:21:08 pm »

It might be, dig deep enough and you're going to stop running into "X happens because of Y which happens because of Z" and start hitting "X because that's what the laws of the universe *are*". Could be the product of some mathematical pseudo-random chaotic system, but it could literally be that it's random because the universe is just built that way.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: June 27, 2024, 11:03:09 am »

A sufficiently complex system with enough variables cannot readily be distinguished from randomness at a glance.

As exemplified by the off-hit playable demo for Half Sword. ...at least according to the sweats on the Steam forum swearing up and down that all the flailing is skill-based.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: June 27, 2024, 11:54:56 am »

How do you learn to sketch? I'm gonna ramble through the library and nose around online a little, but it's nice to ask local talent first for specific recommendations.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: June 27, 2024, 12:05:10 pm »

Practice, practice, practice.

Basically: look at what you want to sketch, and keep practicing sketching until you get the fidelity you desire.

I think reading tutorials or whatever would only give you techniques and tips like when you want a fine-edge stylus versus a wedge versus a brush, or when to use side-shading, stuff like that.  That's just information though - no substitute for experience!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: June 27, 2024, 12:15:16 pm »

I've heard the tip before about trying to draw things upside-down, so as to work your brain into drawing the shapes of a given thing, rather than the essence of it.

So, instead of trying to copy a picture onto paper, you first turn the picture upside-down, then copy that. This adds a layer of abstraction that stops the brain from trying to think "that's a person" and following up with "I'll draw a person". What you want is to draw the shapes and lines that make up an image of a person, not whatever your brain thinks "a person" is.

Note that I haven't applied this at all and am in fact awful at sketching, so a few lumps of salt are recommended as a side.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: June 27, 2024, 12:16:03 pm »

Drawfee says practice practice practice. They also offer lots of videos showing how they go through specific processes and answering patrons' questions. https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDUoOYLKP1C7dsrXdvVDI8aVJfZbuMqqg

I learned the basics of sketching in high school but never really practiced much. Never did human figures at all as a matter of fact. So I can't help much more than that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: June 27, 2024, 01:00:34 pm »

Techniques and tips and the like are what I'm after, since the most recent thing i've drawn would be some sludge in Gartic Phone six months ago and beyond that, I don't put a pencil to paper but to draw lines in the shapes of letters. Practice will be good, but starting (and knowing where) will be better, yes?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: June 29, 2024, 07:26:06 pm »

Does anyone have the link to the official dwarf fortress discord?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: June 29, 2024, 08:21:29 pm »

The only official one is the Kitfox one: https://discord.gg/kitfoxgames
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: June 29, 2024, 09:11:23 pm »

ah. I thought there was another.
I make Spellcrafts!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: June 29, 2024, 10:46:19 pm »

There've been a couple unofficial Bay12/DF ones, which hav seen various amounts of drama; only one is active now, though not very. DFHack has their own, which is pretty active; the link is easily guessed and is linked on their various sites.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: June 30, 2024, 05:37:55 pm »

What would you do if you had an extra:

$100?
$1000?
$10k?
$100k?

Spoiler: for myself... (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: June 30, 2024, 05:41:43 pm »

What would you do if you had an extra:

$100?
$1000?
$10k?
$100k?

Spoiler: for myself... (click to show/hide)

See, this is why I get bothered by politicians saying we need to give tax cuts to high earners. They’re not going to spend it.

Instead, you give a tax cut to a low earner, they’ll spend it. I think a major reason why major donors don’t want this is because they can’t be bothered competing for that money.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: June 30, 2024, 08:16:20 pm »

So saving/investing isn't spending?  I have always seen savings/investing as deferring my spending "into the future" because I sure don't want to buy literal tons of canned food or something right now, and spend money on a storage facility just to be able to eat in 30 years.

I'm talking in middle-class levels here, not the "I have account balances representing more than several times per-capita GDP times the median number of working years of a person" kind of levels.

Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm fast approaching the half-century mark...

(That said, I do agree the tax structure in the USA has some perverse incentives.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: June 30, 2024, 09:20:34 pm »

Sorry, that wasn’t meant as a dig at you personally - I would have the same answers as you - more lamenting politicians appeasing the wealthy as a means of “stimulating the economy and job growth”, which is tangential to the question you posed. You give a million people $100, they’ll spend it, which is better than splitting that $100,000,000 between a handful of people who could very easily just pocket it.

Saving money works for you and the institution you’re saving with, while investing merely allows a company more capital to invest where they want it. The company doesn’t have to do anything with that money.

Someone spending money is actually creating demand for a product or service, and that should be the primary driver of economic growth. A company has to respond to that before their competitors do or they’ll lose out on
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640