Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687785 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9405 on: January 01, 2024, 11:33:12 am »

There is only potato.

Yes, the universal, objective truth.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: January 01, 2024, 02:15:50 pm »

Does "borrowing from yourself" have any real meaning, or is it just semantic gymnastics?

Consider, if you "borrow from yourself" how would you pay yourself back? What would this even mean?

Instead of phrasing it "borrowing from yourself", would it be better described as "making an investment", since the idea is more like you are "spending" some resources you have now, in the hope that you end up with more resources in the future than if you didn't spend them now?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: January 01, 2024, 03:35:21 pm »

... usually the implication isn't that you're going to get more out of it, though? It's not an investment, it's taking something from your likely future resources without an expectation it's going to get any net gain from the situation, or even repaid at all. The hope isn't that you get something from whatever it is in the future, the hope is that you don't, like, die or something in the present.

It's why that turn of phrase is used instead of "making an investment in your future" or some variation thereof. It's for situations that are likely to be net neutral at best, not ones you expect to pay off in any way. It's not some kind of positive statement under most circumstances, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: January 01, 2024, 05:08:19 pm »

I think still that "borrowing" is the wrong verb... maybe "drawing down the reserve" or "utilizing reserves" or something would be more accurate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: January 01, 2024, 05:46:37 pm »

The more accurate term is usually "stealing". The sentiment's largely burning the future to keep the present going; "borrowing" is often more a polite euphemism than anything. It's not entirely accurate because it's trying to take some of the sting out of behavior that's likely making your later years worse, or at absolute best isn't going to make them any better.

Reserves implies it's coming from something that's, like... already there, or something you have excess of. That's just not really what the saying's usually used to get across.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: January 01, 2024, 06:28:57 pm »

Ah see I'm not talking about the colloquial use, I'm talking about what it would really mean to borrow from yourself. That's why it was a "random question."

Similarly, using the phrase "stealing from yourself" implies that your future self owns the thing but your present self doesn't; I don't think "stealing from yourself" makes much sense either for that reason.

In both cases I'm referring to things you absolutely do tangibly have today, like money in the bank, or food in the cabinet, or whatever.  That is - you can't borrow a pair of shoes from yourself if you don't have a pair of shoes (borrowing from someone else is a different concept, and I'm not thinking about that right now).  You can't even "borrow" (or "steal") a pair of shoes from your future self if you don't have that pair of shoes today.

That was sort of my general train of thought on this... you can't "borrow" or "steal" something that doesn't actually exist.

NOTE: I acknowledge there is a sense of how "steal from your future self" may be reasonable, because if you take some action today, you may prevent your future self from having access to something you otherwise would presumably have if you didn't "use" it today. But it's a bit statistical, because there's no guarantees about material future...  In this case, though, it still has to be something that "exists" today to be able to use it.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: January 02, 2024, 05:11:50 pm »

What is the best vegetable?
For what definition of vegetable? Are we including grains? Or fruits we use like vegetables?

Because if either of those gets a yes, then the correct answer is pizza.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: January 03, 2024, 04:21:57 am »

For what definition of vegetable? Are we including grains? Or fruits we use like vegetables?

But that gives us a second and just as important of a question and that is, what kind of pizza?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: January 03, 2024, 04:27:42 am »

NO

Tomatoes, pepper, cucumbers and all that junk are fruit, and grains are their own class.

Edible roots, tubers, stems and leaves are vegetables.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: January 03, 2024, 04:39:19 am »

If that's the case then the answer is the glorious thing that is the POTATO!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: January 03, 2024, 05:50:10 am »

I mean, there's no competition. The swede, obviously.

NO

Tomatoes, pepper, cucumbers and all that junk are fruit, and grains are their own class.

This is lies! Biology never had the mandate to decide what is an isn't a fruit. That is for the field of language, linguistics, to decide. If biologists wanted to create a new concept they should have come up with a new word for it, not appropriated one already in use! Reject the false reality they are trying to impose on you! Tomatoes will ways be vegetables and never fruit!
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: January 03, 2024, 06:24:37 am »

NO

This is lies! Biology never had the mandate to decide what is an isn't a fruit. That is for the field of language, linguistics, to decide. If biologists wanted to create a new concept they should have come up with a new word for it, not appropriated one already in use! Reject the false reality they are trying to impose on you! Tomatoes will ways be vegetables and never fruit!

Fruits are plant organs specifically evolved to be eaten by animals! They carry seeds to be spread out by those said animals! Tomatoes carry seeds, and serve a reproductive purpose for the plant! TOMATOES ARE OBJECTIVELY FRUIT! LINGUISTS CAN GO TO HELL!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: January 03, 2024, 06:51:36 am »

NO

Fruits are plant organs specifically evolved to be eaten by animals! They carry seeds to be spread out by those said animals! Tomatoes carry seeds, and serve a reproductive purpose for the plant! TOMATOES ARE OBJECTIVELY FRUIT! LINGUISTS CAN GO TO HELL!

That's not the definition of fruit! Fruit and vegetable is defined by taste and use by humans, not how they're useful to the plants! This is the lie the biologists feed you! Eat truth, not false fruit!
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: January 03, 2024, 11:05:19 am »

It depends on the context. If you're in a biology class, fruit and vegetable have a different meaning than if you're an FDA inspector or a cook.

There is no "one true definition" here, I don't know why this is a difficult concept? Or are we just being intentionally obstinate here?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: January 03, 2024, 11:28:27 am »

It depends on the context. If you're in a biology class, fruit and vegetable have a different meaning than if you're an FDA inspector or a cook.

There is no "one true definition" here, I don't know why this is a difficult concept? Or are we just being intentionally obstinate here?

YOU AND SCRIVER ARE BOTH INFIDELS!!!

The one universal truth is that tomatoes are fruit! Nothing those filthy heathen linguists say will change this immutable rule of reality!

We are just joking around, lmao.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 637