Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687373 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9375 on: December 07, 2023, 10:48:56 am »

Hmm, yea, some places in Ireland for sure.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: December 08, 2023, 05:54:39 am »

In the British English section it renders ending with /-dɪ/ as the primary one.

This is pronounced sorta like "yesterdee" right? I'm not super good with phonetics.

But yes I can even think of saying that without breaking out into my terrible Hollywood "irish"/"shkottish" accent
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: December 08, 2023, 01:46:03 pm »

I'm needing help with some of my university work here.

I'm trying to find an appropriate t-test for my data, and I've spent 5 hours slamming my head against a wall trying to get it to work and failing. Not a consecutive 5 hours either, this is me going away, coming back with some hilarious misplaced optimism and a fresh new outlook, then ending a frustrated, stressed out mess every fucking time.

The data's on stick insects. We've got 20 results from 20 stick insects under two different circumstances: The absence of wind, and the presence of wind. The data we got is the number of seconds spent swaying over 10 minutes. These were the same stick insects in both circumstances (eg group 1 did stick insect A with no wind, gets 5 seconds. The same group then used a cold hair dryer to blow air over the same stick insect, resulting in 20 seconds. Repeat over another 19 groups)

The data's not normally distributed, I did a test and pulled up a histogram both confirming it.

I'm lead to believe I either need to do a Kruskal-Wallis test, or a Wilcoxon signed/paired rank test.

First question, am I right and if so which do I use?

Second question, how the actual FUCK do I do these tests (Mine or the new one) in RStudio? The K-W test produced different results if I compared NoWind to Wind or Wind to NoWind, which seems fucking weird to me - I'm comparing the exact same values in reverse order, why would I get wildly different chi squared, DF and P-values?

As for the Wilcoxon test, I just don't know how to input that. I've followed 5 different tutorials and every one shows something slightly different and every one throws out an error.

EDIT: I might have this worked out, if I'm back on the forums screaming at everyone tomorrow you'll know I didn't.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 02:31:59 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9378 on: December 10, 2023, 07:39:35 am »

EDIT: I might have this worked out, if I'm back on the forums screaming at everyone tomorrow you'll know I didn't.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hope the stick bugs pass the test

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: December 10, 2023, 08:24:02 am »

there is a ten hour loop of that bug on youtube
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: December 12, 2023, 02:05:17 am »

That bug has some funky dance moves.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: December 12, 2023, 05:19:58 am »

Can someone explain in clear terms the difference between synecdoche and metonymy? I'm reading the definitions and can't tell the difference. One is supposed to be a subset of the other. But what is the essential difference? When is a metonymy not a synecdoche?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: December 12, 2023, 07:23:26 am »

Metonymie designates some thing by something else, synecdoche too but the first is part of the latter.

Can I have a glass?
Boots on the ground.

I sense some vague basedness of the part of linguists... Lending a hand would be a synecdoche, but ruling with an iron fist would be a metonymie... I think. This is probably an amount of nuance nobody ever needed.
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9383 on: December 12, 2023, 02:01:22 pm »

A synecdoche is a kind of metonym

So metonym denotes the generic kind of way we use things to refer to other things. Synecdoche refers to when a part of something is used to signify the whole or vice versa.

"Six thousand spears. Less than half of what I'd hoped for," - King Theoden.
So this one is both a metonym but not a synecdoche, because the spears signify the cavalry units who wield these spears. Unless you want to get philosophical and say the spears are a part of the riders of Rohan... Which culturally, may be true.

"Gondor calls for aid." - Aragorn
"And Rohan will answer." - Theoden
An example of a synecdoche where a more comprehensive thing is used to signify a lesser part of the thing. Or vice versa.

"Excuse me? I have a sword. Please accept it. I offer you my service, Theoden King," - Merry
"And gladly, I accept it. You shall be Meriadoc, Esquire of Rohan," - Theoden
Merry's usage of "sword" to mean his service is an example of a metonym that is not a synecdoche. His sword is associated with service, he is not literally giving Theoden his sword, but instead using it to mean his service as the sword is associated with knighthood.

"Take up my seat in the Golden Hall. Long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill." - Theoden to Eowyn.
Here Theoden uses two synecdoches, that use smaller parts to refer to greater wholes. Theoden's seat is his throne, and both his seat and the Golden Hall are the symbols of his royal power. So by using these metonyms he is asking Eowyn to succeed him if he dies in battle.

Basically King Theoden is good at speeches

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: December 12, 2023, 02:23:17 pm »

Thanks. Excellent.
So, it's that >part< of a thing that's crucial for synecdoche.

'You have my sword' is not a synecdoche.
'My blade is at your service' would count as one. Right?

Also, the word is called a metonym, while metonymy is the use of such in an expression. Is this correct?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9385 on: December 12, 2023, 03:05:29 pm »

Thanks. Excellent.
So, it's that >part< of a thing that's crucial for synecdoche.
ye

also sometimes it's the reverse, where you refer to a whole to actually mean a part of it. E.g. Winston Churchill's we shall fight them on the beaches quote "Until, in God's good time, The New World, with all it's power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the Old."
So this one is also a synecdoche because the new world (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) is referred to by the whole of its parts, as is Europe & Asia (the old world)

Probably not, unless you want to get philosophical about the nature of a swordsman and their sword being one, wuxia style

Also, the word is called a metonym, while metonymy is the use of such in an expression. Is this correct?
ye

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: December 13, 2023, 05:25:18 am »

Probably not, unless you want to get philosophical about the nature of a swordsman and their sword being one, wuxia style
[/quote]
I meant it like the blade is a part of a sword (which then refers to an oath like in the first sentence), but maybe that's not metaphorical enough. I gotta think about this some more. But thanks again - very helpful indeed.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: December 22, 2023, 01:24:22 am »

my hair, fairly long, keeps getting quite tangled — I assume from putting it up in a ponytail relatively often
how do I prevent this?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: December 25, 2023, 12:09:49 am »

my hair, fairly long, keeps getting quite tangled — I assume from putting it up in a ponytail relatively often
how do I prevent this?

Cut it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: December 25, 2023, 03:30:47 am »

how do I prevent this?

If you don't brush it, buy a brush and brush it.

If you do brush it, maybe add an application an rinse-out of hair conditioner after washing it?

I've seen people say both that you're supposed to tie it up and that you're supposed to leave it loose before going to bed to prevent tangling and I don't know which is true.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 637