Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 895505 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8130 on: April 12, 2022, 07:26:16 pm »

Well the local punishment for homosexuality back in 1895 was a lifetime of hard labour in prison rather than a lobotomy, so I guess I'd win on that front. Before 1889 the punishment was technically death. It wasn't unusual for homosexuals to just be quietly ignored here though, same in most of Europe to my understanding.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: April 12, 2022, 11:09:10 pm »

Raise your hand if you'd have gotten a lobotomy if you were born in 1895

Sure, I've got nothing better going on.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: April 14, 2022, 08:42:05 am »

So how do you set up a rotating avatar on this forum? Trying to do it with randimg.net, but if i put link in with https, site just switches back to no avatar, and if put it in with http, site freaks out and hangs up.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: April 14, 2022, 11:15:00 pm »

So somebody on this forum proposed the idea of renaming AI (Artificial Intelligence) to AC (Artificial Consciousness). Now normally a statement like that would just fade away like the average shower thought, but for some reason this idea really grabbed me.

Currently the average person imagines an AI to be something like C3PO or Skynet. Basically a hyper-intelligent synthetic human that often has a personality. The AI's we currently produce via machine learning and neural networks are nothing like that though. They simply accept a variety of inputs and process it to spit out an output. Our current methods are never going result in a HAL9000 because that's not what the algorithms are designed to produce. Real AI is hyperspecialized.

The thing is though, that doesn't stop us from conflating the two and as result we get a lot people who are irrationally afraid of AI achieving superintelligence and destroying us all! That simply isn't possible cause our algorithms are not capable of creativity despite what music bots may lead you to believe. Real AI is an inside-the-box thinker, and ultimately its the programmer who designs the parameters of this box.

I believe that by separating the concept of fantasy sci-fi AI and real AI into two terms, the average Joe will have an easier time grasping what AI actually is and what problems it can effectively be used to solve, as well as what it can't, so as to avoid falling under the sway of the many magic-men who make claims that can't be backed up. I believe George Orwell's theory of language influencing thought is right on.

The question now is whether to use the term AI for fantastical sci-fi things, since that was what the term was originally coined for, or should we change the meaning of AI to only describe the modern stuff and ascribe a new term for the sci-fi consciousnesses (from what I understand, AI researchers want to call them GI or General Intelligence rather than AC). If we kept the original meaning of the word AI, what should we call the alogrithmic things we use currently? Automatic Optimizers or AOs?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 11:17:34 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: April 15, 2022, 08:08:13 am »

The industry generally refers to neural-network type stuff that just solves problems in a non-algorithmic manner "machine learning."

I got the term Artificial Consciousness from an article (can't remember where) on self-driving cars; basically the research is that it's consciousness which gives some animals "autonomy", rather than just solving control loops or crunching numbers or doing image/language classification.

Consciousness is the thing which gives us "focus" and the ability to choose - it's the thing that ties together all the "equation-solving" machinery that is basically just advanced math processors.  So "general intelligence" is probably (I'm not that familiar with the literature) a synonym for what I mean by "consciousness".  An interesting distinction though is that you don't need to have massive computational capabilities to have consciousness though - that is, you don't have to be able to be the best chess player or image recognizer or whatever to have consciousness.

It is, I think, I nice way to think about the field.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: April 17, 2022, 05:39:02 am »

I'm sure there are people here who would find that interesting
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: April 17, 2022, 05:42:14 am »

But the only way to properly know is to make a thread.

Worst case scenario, no one posts and you find out your answer.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: April 17, 2022, 06:04:57 am »

I hope it will be a thread about all bugs and not just insects,  or I will protest-post about spiders in it :P
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: April 17, 2022, 09:02:13 am »

Kinda bad manners not to include spiders when you're hosting the conversation on something called the World Wide Web
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: April 17, 2022, 10:15:23 am »

I hope it will be a thread about all bugs and not just insects,  or I will protest-post about spiders in it :P

So there's this button on a page that one user persona has access to, but not permissions to complete the flow on, and the fix for that was to remove the button entirely from that persona... Along with four others, including the administrator persona.

It's a really cool bug.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: April 18, 2022, 11:37:35 am »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: April 18, 2022, 09:54:54 pm »

what comes after infinity?
for that matter, what comes before?

Nothing comes before infinity.

More pragmatically people both come before and come after infinity.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: April 18, 2022, 11:05:09 pm »

So how do you set up a rotating avatar on this forum? Trying to do it with randimg.net, but if i put link in with https, site just switches back to no avatar, and if put it in with http, site freaks out and hangs up.
Signavatar works for me.

As for the AI thing, in my hard sci-fi setting, non-sapient "AIs" are called just AIs, while strong AIs are called ACs.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: April 19, 2022, 02:05:03 am »

I have an AC in my house, is it secretly filling my house with mindcontrol nanobots that pass themselves off as cool air?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: April 19, 2022, 07:39:24 am »

Yes.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 649