Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687733 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7995 on: March 10, 2022, 02:59:39 pm »

Excellent. Ta.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: March 10, 2022, 10:43:50 pm »

Are there any things which you understand, yet are unable to describe?
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: March 10, 2022, 10:57:44 pm »

Colours are usually the thing that gets brought up with that.

Describe a particular colour as though you’re doing so to someone that has no concept of it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: March 10, 2022, 11:04:00 pm »

Sure? Communicating something is often remarkably more difficult than just figuring it out.

Trivial example would be something like personal perspective, which you can try to describe but are probably going to fail, sometimes pretty hard depending on individual condition or audience.

Other easy example is just in regards to communication barriers; something like describing color to a congenitally blind person is a common go to on that front (and ninja'd right as i was going to post, lol).

Personally, I'm entirely aware of how I personally see stuff due to visual snow, but it's really damn hard to get that perspective across to someone that hasn't experienced it. Also due to that, I don't really understand on a visceral level the concept of stillness -- my personal experience has never had anything really sit still. Shit's always moving due to the persistent hallucination. I sorta' get it it intellectually, but it's not a lived experience. Explaining that perspective in a way that really engenders comprehension in folks that haven't dealt with something like the snow is really damn hard for me, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7999 on: March 11, 2022, 01:44:26 am »

Describe a particular colour as though you’re doing so to someone that has no concept of it.

I've thought about this before, in the context of describing how sight works to someone who's been sightless since birth.

And, really... In some ways it's very similar to sound. You have waves of varying frequencies, and you have sensory organs capable of picking up and identifying particular frequencies. The waves that you observe however are often reflected off of physical surfaces, the composition of which changes the perceived tonal qualities of that wave. Similarly, these waves can move through mediums (just to piss off Latin students) that can affect the integrity of the wave and alter how it gets received by us. Blue would be a "high pitch" color, while red would be "low pitch".

So yeah, a lot of similarities to sound. Just that it's received by your front-ears, which can be opened and closed at will thanks to fleshy covers.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8000 on: March 11, 2022, 06:58:55 am »

Are there any things which you understand, yet are unable to describe?

When you learn a second language from use and context, like English on the internet or media rather than studying, you often end up understanding what words mean in ways that you are unable to translate or explain.

Or at least I do.
Love, scriver~

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: March 11, 2022, 10:29:00 pm »

I only know the one language and there are words in it that I feel that way about.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: March 11, 2022, 10:53:05 pm »

If you live in a culture you're not born into for long enough, you get a sense of cultural mores that are hard to put into words. Some are easy to explain in category, but examples can be tough.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: March 19, 2022, 10:03:17 pm »

What's the deal with suits in muggy, hot-humid weather?
I'm watching clips from Columbo (late 60's) and all the guys are wearing these jackets.  Even Columbo, who's considered unkempt, is wearing a jacket that is *too* thick.  Functional.

Aren't they hot?? Overheating I mean.  How much thought went into adapting suit-coats for the East-coast South where I live?  It's in To Kill a Mockingbird too, and the Scopes Monkey Trial movie, 12 Angry Men, and most of The Twilight Zone.  How did people function this way???
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: March 20, 2022, 12:45:07 am »

It might be one of those things where they just deal with it, or it's because they've lived there for a long while wearing suits and are used to it.

Back in high school I wore an old army dress jacket in temperatures like those and I didn't die, but people would periodically ask how I could stand wearing that thing while outside.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: March 20, 2022, 03:48:56 am »

As someone that wears a suit/sport coat* for a living, I may be able to contribute!

There is something to be said for just being used to the suit, plus some suits are lighter in material than others (and thus cooler).

As for the thickness of material, typically the thicker material is more durable and cheaper.  So for TV shows like Columbo, it is part of his suit being cheap and durable.  It probably helps the production people on the TV show as well.  Also, the shows occur in an air-conditioned studio mostly, so unless its a plot point, eh.

Finally, if your job requires you to wear a suit, you wear a suit.  Just like cops don't get to take off their uniforms in hot weather, its the same with suits.

(Technically, both the pants and coat have to match for it to be a suit.  If they don't, it is a Sport Coat with Suit/Dress Pants)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: March 20, 2022, 04:33:22 am »

Wool is insulating. Put enough layers on and the heat stays outside your wool bubble and the body keeps cool and fresh.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: March 20, 2022, 09:34:27 am »

What's the deal with suits in muggy, hot-humid weather?
I'm watching clips from Columbo (late 60's) and all the guys are wearing these jackets.  Even Columbo, who's considered unkempt, is wearing a jacket that is *too* thick.  Functional.

Aren't they hot?? Overheating I mean.
It's fucking miserable, yes. I've worn suits enough in florida weather that you're never going to get me in a suit in florida weather again. I'll shank someone before you get me in layers in 100+ degree weather again.

Societal expectations can fuck off, I don't want to deal with heat stroke. Jobs that require a suicidal dress code in florida heat aren't a job I want anything to do with, the people running it are sodding idiots that value something a hell of a lot more than their workers, so screw 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: March 20, 2022, 03:47:41 pm »

What doth life?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: March 21, 2022, 06:34:24 pm »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 637