Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687710 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7425 on: June 09, 2021, 12:06:20 am »

I'd reckon it's better than not having code, right? Also, the process of building the elements of a program tend to help one understand how they effectively interrelate.

Even for something requiring finesse could use a first revision for proof of concept or assessment of scope. It's up to you to determine if your code needs revision.

Also, that sounds like writing functions and structures that you could probably consolidate off into a library for future use, which is something that people do all the time. I'unno, I'm no professional in the coding sphere.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: June 09, 2021, 07:58:58 am »

Belated, but here's the picture of the ficus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: June 09, 2021, 09:02:58 am »

Is it a good idea to write code by the seat of your pants? Whenever I need to automate some tedious task in a Python script, I just write out the commands needed, write the code-ified versions (+ variables), and only then do I actually decide on the structure of how to use the script. I do have an idea of what I need to do, but it's not fully defined at the start of the writing process.

Depends - what is the code for?  Is it just for doing something for an audience of yourself, or is it code that is controlling machines? Is it code that is controlling the financial system?  Medical records?  Is it just a game or something?

The danger in "prototype" coding is to neglect to "formalize" it later.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: June 09, 2021, 09:44:28 am »

Any cooks here know what I can do to a really nice stainless steel frying pan I have to prevent eggs from sticking to it?  Do I need to season it? Polish it?  Am I using the wrong heat?

It's only eggs that seem to have the issue; meat and other stuff has no major sticking issue.  Doesn't matter if I use butter (real or spray) or even oil; eggs just stick like crazy.  To clarify, I mean when scrambling them, it makes like this film over the entire pan; frying them doesn't result in disaster.

This film seems to be worse when my wife scrambles eggs: she uses milk, I do not.

Slightly late to this, but your sticking (hehehe) point might be heat more than anything. If the oil/butter/whatever isn't hot enough to instantly fry the eggs as they hit it then they'll inevitably stick to the bottom, this is true for both scrambled and sunny side up eggs, probably even more so if you're trying to scramble them in the pan itself. So get your cooking fat of choice nice and hot before dropping in your eggs next time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: June 09, 2021, 10:22:02 am »

Depends - what is the code for?  Is it just for doing something for an audience of yourself, or is it code that is controlling machines? Is it code that is controlling the financial system?  Medical records?  Is it just a game or something?

Dumb stuff. It automates the process of pushing images through an audio codec and seeing what happens, which is 4 difficult and error-prone FFmpeg commands. It's nothing mission-critical, if that's what you're asking. More something I made to alleviate the tedium of typing in 4 commands in sequence.

It's a common genre of code: code made to automate menial tasks. I'm pretty sure that's the second kind of code people write while learning a programming language in their own time, the first being the "Hello World" program and variations on it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: June 09, 2021, 05:11:54 pm »

Aw heck, wrong thread.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: June 10, 2021, 11:00:30 am »

What do you guys (and girls and enbies) think of me?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: June 10, 2021, 02:57:16 pm »

You certainly exist! You could talk more.

EDIT: Is this rude? I'm 50-50 on rude/not rude. I don't feel I know you well but think you are interesting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: June 10, 2021, 03:05:59 pm »

who?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: June 10, 2021, 03:14:22 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: June 10, 2021, 06:35:40 pm »

Cannot determine personality due to lack of data: [Errno 11:] Resource temporarily unavailable.

I'd be able to read you better if you posted more often. No pressure, though. If I just force my brain to come up with something, prefacing that I don't know you well:

You're definitely passionate about the things you care about, but you seem reasonable enough. I wouldn't have an answer to half the things you say (politics is hard), but you seem reasonable enough. You're mildly and apologetically abrasive, and I don't mean anything negative by that. It's more a personality trait than a necessarily bad thing at your level. I'm not a grudge-holder by any means, so I'm likely biasing positively here. Furry, yes, but "*shrug*" is my response.

I think that's all I can think of about you. I think I may be projecting, hence why it possibly looks like I'm throwing stones in a glass house.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:53:04 pm by methylatedspirit »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: June 10, 2021, 07:36:15 pm »

Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOO!?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: June 10, 2021, 07:45:51 pm »

Stabby.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: June 10, 2021, 07:49:45 pm »

Stabby.
Pretty much.  Direct and incisive.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: June 11, 2021, 06:52:58 am »

You seem cool. I worry that the things you sometimes post will come back and haunt you though
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 637