Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687553 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7215 on: April 25, 2021, 11:51:42 pm »

I realize that Excel is Turing-complete (which is about as anything as you can get), but it doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job. Brainfuck is Turing-complete, but good luck doing anything with that! (Oh, and Excel has lambda functions now. Have fun!)

I'd say Python would work, but I have hammer syndrome, as in "If all you have is a hammer..."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: April 26, 2021, 06:38:15 am »

If coding is involved, it's more pain than I'm looking for :P

... literally. Trying to puzzle out how to put together programming languages tends to give me a pretty nasty headache. Just reading it generally isn't that bad but the next step hurts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: April 26, 2021, 07:02:57 am »

Python is fairly easy. Or maybe i learnt the easy part only.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: April 26, 2021, 07:28:25 am »

I'd wager a guess that Python is about the easiest programming language that can actually do things, that serious people use. I've heard it's used a lot in data science and (the front-end, non-performance-critical portions of) major websites specifically because it's easy to work with. It's not a language you should use for speed (it's interpreted, not compiled), but developer time tends to be more important than speed nowadays.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: April 26, 2021, 09:34:24 am »

Oh, and Excel has lambda functions now. Have fun!

Yes

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: April 29, 2021, 06:53:45 am »

For those of you who play games on controller, are your movements on the analog stick(s) smooth or jerky? Do you just move them always all the way, or do you exert finer control over the 'sticks than that?

I'm asking because I play almost all games on keyboard + mouse. I'm playing Breath of the Wild (emulated Wii U) with an Xbox 360 controller, and I'm constantly noticing that I tend to just slam the sticks fully in the direction I want to go. No smoothing, no intermediate positions, just *slam*. Very keyboard-esque, where you simply don't have any more control over the movement keys than "on" and "off".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: April 29, 2021, 07:36:42 am »

It can be fairly smooth, if you have a good analog stick with a small deadzone. The issue is that the deadzone makes the fine precision aiming not nearly as quick as with a mouse.  If you like to just bust into the room with a shotgun, and spatter some mooks on the walls like a Jackson Polluck painting, it's fine.  If you do sniper stuff, you had better damned sure have some auto-aim magic going on, because you are NOT going to get accurate picking in a fast manner.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: April 29, 2021, 07:45:18 am »

For camera control, sure, you'll sometimes want to tilt the stick only slightly. For character movement, you almost always want to go full tilt, and the times when you don't usually it means the controls are janky and hard to use. For example the analogue face buttons used in MGS2 and 3. Press slightly to aim, but if you apply the slightest amount too much pressure you'll open fire and too little will make you go back to not aiming. It sucks.

Analogue inputs are difficult for the player to finely control. For a modern, well-designed game, they'll generally not be super important for that reason. And also because almost every game have to accommodate WASD, I suppose.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: April 29, 2021, 08:06:47 am »

It can be fairly smooth, if you have a good analog stick with a small deadzone. The issue is that the deadzone makes the fine precision aiming not nearly as quick as with a mouse.  If you like to just bust into the room with a shotgun, and spatter some mooks on the walls like a Jackson Polluck painting, it's fine.  If you do sniper stuff, you had better damned sure have some auto-aim magic going on, because you are NOT going to get accurate picking in a fast manner.

And that frustrates me. I love playing sniper/stealth builds! Being able to kill enemies from afar without them noticing you at all is cathartic. My reflexes are poor at best, so that is the only thing that gives me the upper hand. I feel weak in BoTW because I can't snipe enemies easily.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: April 29, 2021, 08:09:48 am »

The motion controls actually help a good deal with aiming precision, I think it's better than using the stick alone. Not sure if there's way you can set that up with emulation though, or if the 360 controller even has a gyroscope.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: April 29, 2021, 08:35:03 am »

360 controllers don't have gyroscopes, no. Even if they did, it's not exposed in the input APIs, so it would be as good as useless. Cemu (the emulator I'm using) does support motion controls if you have something like a PS4 controller, mind you; it's just my controller that doesn't have any.

An inelegant workaround is possible: In Cemu, gyroscope emulation is bound to the right mouse button, and then moving it as desired. That's a pain in the ass to work with if I'm aiming my bow, considering I'm holding down R2 (bound to ZR) with my left hand, and then holding down RMB with my right. It doesn't feel like any mouse controls I've ever used, but it does work better than fiddling with the analog stick.

Either that, or I'll have to get my phone involved to provide motion controls. I'd still have to handle two separate things, so I'd just be moving the problem around, but not actually fixing it. I'm hoping I don't have to do anything more involved with the gyro later on, 'else I'd be done for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: April 29, 2021, 10:18:52 am »

For those of you who play games on controller, are your movements on the analog stick(s) smooth or jerky? Do you just move them always all the way, or do you exert finer control over the 'sticks than that?

I'm asking because I play almost all games on keyboard + mouse. I'm playing Breath of the Wild (emulated Wii U) with an Xbox 360 controller, and I'm constantly noticing that I tend to just slam the sticks fully in the direction I want to go. No smoothing, no intermediate positions, just *slam*. Very keyboard-esque, where you simply don't have any more control over the movement keys than "on" and "off".

Smooth, I'm not much of a button-masher, and sometimes I like for the character to walk instead of run. I use the Logitech 310.

I always had KB&M except for the past 5 years, though. I tend to switch between control schemas based on what seems the most natural. I find precision platforming on a controller a lot easier and if I'm playing a game with any shooting it definitely has to be a mouse.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: April 29, 2021, 01:07:35 pm »

The few times I can't avoid using a stick (I've largely disliked it since PSX/N64 days, tbh, maybe even earlier 'cause joysticks in general kinda' suck to me, even arcade or atari or whatever), it... varies, whether it's smooth or quick, depending on what I'm doing. Trends smooth when possible just out of a desire to go easy on the controller, but sometimes you gotta' do a smash attack, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: April 29, 2021, 01:17:35 pm »

I’m usually trying to be smooth if I’m doing something like aiming, but when it comes to movement it’s much less fine.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: April 30, 2021, 03:58:27 am »

Who needs a 360 controller when you have a touch pad on a laptop.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 637