Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687410 times)

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7080 on: March 16, 2021, 08:26:05 am »

My brother found a roleplay forum and started godmodding and trolling there with posts like "i suddenly appear and kill everyone" (translated, the forum is Mongolian). He already got 2 warnings within 2 days.

I want to use the forum too, don't want to get my computer Ip banned. Should I take his account away? He is 9 years old by the way...
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: March 16, 2021, 08:30:14 am »

My brother found a roleplay forum and started godmodding and trolling there with posts like "i suddenly appear and kill everyone" (translated, the forum is Mongolian). He already got 2 warnings within 2 days.

I want to use the forum too, don't want to get my computer Ip banned. Should I take his account away? He is 9 years old by the way...
Send me the forum so I may act as reinforcements.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: March 16, 2021, 07:51:09 pm »

I think if you have the ability to do so, then you probably have the authority and mandate to do it as well. It's not as though anybody will mind. Except the kid, but they don't count.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: March 17, 2021, 03:20:58 pm »

Except the kid, but they don't count.
That can't be completely true, because then how would they count for even less between 12 and 18? Teenagers obviously count less than kids, so I think kids under 12 should count for half so we have something to take away.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: March 18, 2021, 02:23:16 am »

I am reminded of attempts my parents made to sever my ability to use a computer/internet as a child...  I was not successful.

I mention this, because the internet is damn ubiquitous today.  You can get to it from a phone, a watch, a tablet,  a TV, etc...  Hell, there are some other appliances, like refrigerators that you can use also. 

You only THINK you can restrict that kind of access.

What you CAN do, is monitor, and then introduce other penalties for their inevitable circumvention of your (inevitably futile) attempt at such restriction.  Just be aware that it will devolve quickly.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: March 19, 2021, 06:16:12 am »

Why does maximizing a Flash game's window (and using Show All to force an upscale) result in lag, varying from barely-tolerable to unplayable? A tiny bit of system monitoring seems to show a continous increase in CPU clock speed and Core 0 usage, so it's definitely a CPU bottleneck.

Domaryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: March 19, 2021, 06:43:44 am »

I am reminded of attempts my parents made to sever my ability to use a computer/internet as a child...  I was not successful.

I mention this, because the internet is damn ubiquitous today.  You can get to it from a phone, a watch, a tablet,  a TV, etc...  Hell, there are some other appliances, like refrigerators that you can use also. 

What you CAN do, is monitor, and then introduce other penalties for their inevitable circumvention of your (inevitably futile) attempt at such restriction.  Just be aware that it will devolve quickly.

You're right. Attempts to restrict access to the computer / internet will be absolutely useless

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: March 19, 2021, 08:31:58 am »

You're right. Attempts to restrict access to the computer / internet will be absolutely useless

What I would suggest:

Contact the board admin, and proactively request a temporary ban on your IP, but NOT on your personal account. Do this, after informing the board admin of the situation with your young family member. Suggest that they will lose interest after being blocked, and will seek other ways to amuse themselves. After that time, the temporary ban on the IP can be lifted.

Ask the site admin to have a contact email to use when you feel that this situation has come about, so that your IP can be unbanned more expediently.

The site admin most likely just wants peaceful relations on his or her forum, and this kind of responsibility is very desirable. Short of the board being run by corporate A-hole types, I cannot imagine the site admin being a douche and saying no to such a simple and sensible request.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: March 20, 2021, 11:01:08 pm »

I'm under a 10-day quarantine, and I'll be stuck in my room for that entire period. For 8 of those days, I'll have next to nothing to do. I have an entire catalog of Flash games that I want to revisit (using Flashpoint), but I sorta want to do something vaguely more productive. I'll have to do C++ this semester anyway, so I figured that I should try my hand at it.

What should a complete beginner to C++ write? I suppose a "Hello World" program would be the first thing I should try, but I want something slightly more challenging after that.

Should I worry about what compiler to use at this stage? Which one do universities use?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: March 20, 2021, 11:03:14 pm »

Maybe a reverse polish notation simple calculator? or maze-solving algorithm?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: March 21, 2021, 12:27:25 am »

Should I worry about what compiler to use at this stage? Which one do universities use?

A place to start is visual studio (community edition).

Here's a little "guess a number" console game, that shows a couple things (like reading console text input and random numbers).

Code: [Select]
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
#include <string>
#include <conio.h> // Evil non-standard library

int main(void) {
std::srand(std::time(0)); // Seeds simple random number generator

const int Num = std::rand() % 100 + 1;
std::string s;

std::cout << "Guess a number between 1 and 100.\n";
bool victory = false;
int guesses = 0;

while (!victory) {
std::cin >> s; // Reads text input from console
char* bleh = nullptr;
int guess = std::strtol(s.c_str(), &bleh, 10); // converts string of text to int (returns 0 on error)
if (guess < 1 || guess > 100) {
std::cout << "Don't be cute!\n";
}
else if (guess < Num) {
std::cout << "Too low...\n";
}
else if (guess > Num) {
std::cout << "Too high...\n";
}
else {
std::cout << "Wow, you win!\n";
victory = true;
}
++guesses;
}

std::cout << "Only " << guesses << " guesses!\n";
std::cout << "Press any key to exit...";
_getch();  // Read a single key as console input without having to press enter [not standard, your compiler might not have this]

return 0;
}

If you're interested, I'll post a guide to write an OpenGL application with *real graphics*, which I think might be a much more interesting way of getting going.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: March 21, 2021, 11:07:32 am »

The non-standardness of that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. In particular I don't think Linux platforms have <conio.h> and I think you can accomplish something similar without the use of that (set std::cin to char buffered, call getch on it?). Plus it uses C standard library functions which already have C++ library equivalents...

On an unrelated note if you'd like to learn C++ I think you could start by reading the tutorial on cplusplus.com to get the basics of the language and then you could read books about C++ methods and approaches, like Scott Meyer's books (Effective C++, More Effective C++, Effective STL). After that it's just practicing with writing and doing things.

I found this stack overflow post covering some good C++ books: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list?rq=1 .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:56:47 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: March 21, 2021, 11:45:18 pm »

Am I annoying or destructive to this forum in any way?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: March 22, 2021, 12:59:57 am »

Simple answer: No.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: March 22, 2021, 01:15:41 am »

Annoying? I don't see you as particularly annoying; you don't go around spamming General Discussion with inane posts, so by that measure, no, you're not annoying. Maybe slightly odd, but everyone's odd in their own way, and to say that in itself is a bad thing would be an insult to everyone on here, me included. All of us were odd when we decided that continuing to participate in a tiny board within a small forum about a niche game was worth our time. We're all weird.

I'm guessing and extrapolating a larger point being expressed by such a question, and to that, I'd say: there is no such thing as mind control. You have zero control over what people think of you. There will always be people who don't like you, regardless of what you do, and those people you should ignore. Focus on those people who do like you. It's a massive cliche, but be yourself. There's a set of bare-minimum things you have to do, but other than that, it's like rolling dice. May as well put your own personality at that point; it's not like it matters what you put in after that.

...at least that's what my shrink told me about myself. Your mileage may vary.
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 637