Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687754 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6900 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:09 am »

How do you split files in Windows? Not to split and rejoin them, but to literally just split files every gigabyte or so; just cleanly cut them into smaller pieces that my programs can handle. The memory dump's great, but I'm gonna run out of memory if I tried loading it directly into anything.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: January 21, 2021, 08:22:44 am »

Uh. Well, if you don't want them rejoinable (basically any zip-style program can do that), I guess you could load the file up into notepad++ and just copy a chunk into another file?

Quick google says linux just has a command for it (split) and windows has various programs (HJSplit, GSplit; note I've never touched them, so yeah) with the functionality. So, like. Give a search for file splitting or partitioning a file. Would probably take less time than it took either of us to make these posts :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: January 21, 2021, 02:07:30 pm »

Well, first, forcing a crash was completely unnecessary : https://www.google.com/search?q=memory+acquisition+tools

Second, any memory dump analysis tool - even just a hex viewer - is gonna only load a chunk of the dump at a time. Splitting the dump file will only confuse them and you.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: January 21, 2021, 02:14:31 pm »

Couldn't you just attach a debugger to whatever process you wanted to see the memory of and then do a memory dump from there.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: January 21, 2021, 04:08:18 pm »

Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing stress when there's nothing really stressing you out? The guides on it that I've found seem to boil down to "You're stressed out because things are stressing you out!" which is a rather circular bit of logic that's no good for fucking anyone.

I'm not working, so it's not that. I'm not stressed about being out of work either. I'm getting plenty of sleep and eating fine, my mental health issues have been on the mend for a while, and this is stress rather than depression or anxiety.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: January 21, 2021, 04:28:58 pm »

Remember that stress is not always caused by negative experiences.

Overload happens from all experiences, including positive ones.

Widen your search parameters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: January 21, 2021, 05:19:01 pm »

I'm not working, so it's not that. I'm not stressed about being out of work either. I'm getting plenty of sleep and eating fine, my mental health issues have been on the mend for a while, and this is stress rather than depression or anxiety.

Whoops, sorta replied in sad thread, but I've got some ideas. First: how are you doing for social contact? Next: time in nature? Third: had a good cry lately? Fourth: completed a project?

(I have more ideas, but this is like my Top Four.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: January 21, 2021, 07:05:39 pm »

Possibilities:
Exercise.
Fulfillment.

As for having a good cry, frankly that would stress me the hell out ahaha. I couldn't tell you the last time I cried properly, and I'm fairly content with my lot.

But who knows, maybe that's me internalising male stereotypes and getting stressed at the idea of how society would judge a male cryer?

Don't think that's it but it's a fun argument.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: January 21, 2021, 09:00:25 pm »

Would it be safe to upload the sound of my RAM onto Youtube? I'm sure audio compression would corrupt the actual data to the point of complete unusability, so I don't think I'd actually be leaking much from uploading a compressed version, especially since I've imported it as 32-bit PCM, which would make it even less understandable.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: January 22, 2021, 12:48:40 pm »

Whoops, sorta replied in sad thread, but I've got some ideas. First: how are you doing for social contact? Next: time in nature? Third: had a good cry lately? Fourth: completed a project?

(I have more ideas, but this is like my Top Four.)
Contact: UK, lockdown, the best I can do is talking to my immediate family or online which doesn't really do much on that front.

Second: Been out on walks recently, though I've had to stop since the ground's saturated and it's still raining. I like the idea of not losing my shoes to three feet of mud.

Third: I'm bordering on that now

Fourth: I can't complete projects. There's no projects to complete, and if there were I'd get intensely frustrated the instant literally anything went wrong. I tried playing my guitar yesterday and gave up on that for that reason. It's a bit of a circular issue because when I'm stressed I get irritated, which makes me more stressed.

Possibilities:
Exercise.
Fulfillment.

As for having a good cry, frankly that would stress me the hell out ahaha. I couldn't tell you the last time I cried properly, and I'm fairly content with my lot.

But who knows, maybe that's me internalising male stereotypes and getting stressed at the idea of how society would judge a male cryer?

Don't think that's it but it's a fun argument.
Exercise does nothing for me, this isn't just me saying so, this is me having a history of it not doing stuff. It's why exercise has proven such a bugger, I need the exercise to be a secondary effect of me having fun. As it stands, the exercise I can get is relegated to outside cardio, which is mind-numbingly boring and doesn't give me a runner's high.

The best answer I've been given (By which I mean it's a possibility rather than being definitely that) is that it's that the simple lack of control I have over basically everything right now (What with the lockdown) is finally boiling over.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: January 22, 2021, 02:40:36 pm »

Yeah, my guess is loss of social contact.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: January 22, 2021, 07:44:59 pm »

hey greatorder if I can help you cope with a game or something I'm here for you
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: January 22, 2021, 11:20:39 pm »

Is there some gender-neutral alternative to "man"? I'd like to be able to call myself a "man of a million Chills* impressions", but, like, minus the "man" part. Is there any word that rolls off the tongue like "man" does there, but is otherwise gender-neutral? I'll accept words made up on the spot or otherwise coined recently; scraping through my dictionary doesn't yield anything suitable for this purpose.

*of "Burger King foot fungus" fame

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: January 22, 2021, 11:40:02 pm »

That's been a tough question for me.  I'm fond of The Public Universal Friend and so sometimes I like to imagine going by "friend", but that obviously comes off as presumptuous.  Might be disrespectful to actual Quakers, too.

"Pal" is along the same lines but might work, at least for me.  Nice and short, and more readily applied to strangers.

Some people seek to neutral-ize terms like "dude", but IDK.  Seems particularly popular amongst allies >.>  But at the same time, "man" was originally a neutral term, and I would like to return to those times when default words weren't so gendered.  Like most such things, I don't give people a hard time about it when they mean well.  And there are plenty of valid NB people who aren't bothered by explicitly gendered pronouns at all.

Trying to think of other possibilities... Oh, there's always "One"!  "One of a million Chills" is a little ambiguous, heh, but perhaps it makes sense in context and with proper intonation.  I'm not actually familiar with the phrase.

Or one could always use an invented word a new word!  I don't know much about that, but maybe someone else does.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: January 23, 2021, 12:03:06 am »

"The One of a Million Chills Impressions". Bit formal, but I think it fits. I think I could wear that title. I'm so good at imitating that Youtuber's voice, that every single impression I do just sounds like Chills. I'm not kidding. It all just sounds like I'm reciting "The last thing you want in your Burger King burger, is someone else's foot fungus. But as it turns out, that may be what you get." even when I'm trying to imitate someone else's voice.

My sister picked up on that weird quirk of mine, and that's how I got the initial title of "The Man of a Million Chills Impressions". It's a bit of an in-joke, really. That was before I realized I was NB, so I'm putting that firmly in historical territory. I'm really just looking for ways to restore that title without direct reference to "man".
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 637