Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687746 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6495 on: November 17, 2020, 10:54:26 pm »

I think it works better if you rest every other day than the day you work out.  Labor Day, maybe.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: November 17, 2020, 10:56:39 pm »

I looked up Google images for mimic and noticed most take the form of chests, why not skip the middleman and take the form of why adventurers(prey) go for the chests? Why not take the form of currency directly? Do young mimics look like currency?

I think Delicious In Dungeon did something with that idea.

Oh yeah, that was the other example I was thinking of. Little bugs which look like coins and jewels, with a bite which injects paralytic venom.
Not actually worth anything, but naturally, quite nutritious. ;P
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: November 17, 2020, 10:59:48 pm »

I looked up Google images for mimic and noticed most take the form of chests, why not skip the middleman and take the form of why adventurers(prey) go for the chests? Why not take the form of currency directly? Do young mimics look like currency?

D&D had a coin 'mimic', call hoard scarabs.  Beatles that look like gold coinage when motionless, and according to the book (Draconomicon, 3rd edition) they live in dragon hordes and clean/eat off of the dragon's scales, keeping them clean, kinda like those fish that clean shark mouths I imagine.  Apparently they bore into the flesh of adventurers if they try to pick them up, in addition to the usual bug tactics of forming large swarms.

2nd edition also had bigger mimics, "house hunter mimics" that can take the form of a whole house, with their offspring taking the form of sheds or presumably outhouses.

And although "a chest" is the go-to artwork for mimics, in D&D they can take the form of basically any object. Doors, levers, tables, whatever they are large enough in volume they can get away with, though I image they can't "shrink" very well either.  I guess one could become a big pile of coins, but it'd be a solid pile that has coin shapes on the surface.  Which in D&D terms is probably good enough, as mimics sweat powerful adhesive, so their prey only really needs to touch them at all to be effective.

The existence of mimics does raise a question though.  Since a mimic probably cannot trick the things living in the dungeon, how many adventurers can a mimic really expect to run into?  Spiders can run into flys often enough, but how does a mimic eat enough adventurers to sustain itself?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: November 17, 2020, 11:06:40 pm »

Either the dungeon itself exists as bait, to draw in foolish adventurers to fuel its own internal ecosystem, or mimics were intentionally created as a defensive measure. Basically just a living trap, to take out the few people who do come along. And well, a whole human is a lot of food if the mimic can spend most of its time hibernating.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: November 17, 2020, 11:10:46 pm »

The dungeon question brings up another question, why don’t mimics take the form of adventurers and go into towns? Why aren’t there mimic gangs, or mimics that do quests to get money to buy food, rather than killing townspeople?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: November 17, 2020, 11:25:54 pm »

When they do that people start calling them changelings, I think :P

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure I've seen that basic concept a few times. Mimic chills for a while, develops meaningful intelligence, figures out the whole commerce thing and goes on to only eat poor people that won't be missed wait what stop eating people. Part of me is wondering why the phrase "mimic whores" is pinging my memory now, though...

Generally mimics are some variation of wizard experiment or magical bioweapon, for what it's worth. They don't do reasonable things like you're talking because they're basically built to eat people, and they're functionally incapable of figuring out a path of less resistance. Exceptions are, well, exceptions, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: November 17, 2020, 11:26:09 pm »

The dungeon question brings up another question, why don’t mimics take the form of adventurers and go into towns? Why aren’t there mimic gangs, or mimics that do quests to get money to buy food, rather than killing townspeople?

Y'know, I was gonna say "well they're dumb and can't talk"... Then I looked it up, they have average intelligence, and can even speak the common language.  Go figure.  The rules say they can only take the form of objects but since its literally any object its not a stretch they could just be a person if it wanted to.

The only argument against it doing so would in my opinion be its usual hunting tactics, as well as its speed stat.  For whatever reason, changing to a not-chest shape doesn't give it more movement speed, and its speed is 10 feet a round (slow).  Also, mimics like to just sit there and wait for prey to just show up and touch it.  Considering also my concern over the availability of said prey, maybe mimics have a really slow metabolism, and just can't really move all that fast in general.  So you'd end up with an unusually large, very slow moving human.  Or that sloth character from Zootopia.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: November 17, 2020, 11:27:32 pm »

Mimic a realistic rendition of a human sculpture and stay away from people with sharp eyesight.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: November 17, 2020, 11:35:49 pm »

Mimic a realistic rendition of a human sculpture and stay away from people with sharp eyesight.

That reminds me, over in Elder Scrolls Oblivion, you can get a statue of yourself erected.  Appaerently its just a big NPC modeled to look like you/your equipment, with a stone texture over it and frozen in place.  You can reanimate it with console commands.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: November 18, 2020, 12:40:01 pm »

If it's not already been done, and is possible, that begs for a mod that reanimates it whenever you're not looking at it :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: November 18, 2020, 12:41:59 pm »

If it's not already been done, and is possible, that begs for a mod that reanimates it whenever you're not looking at it :P
this has the potential of you randomly stumbling across it in a forest or something, at which point it becomes statuefied until you look away, interesting indeed, wonder how the guards would react?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: November 18, 2020, 07:27:33 pm »

What if the NPCs spouted all their usual lines to the inanimate statue, taking part in an imaginary conversation?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: November 18, 2020, 08:13:58 pm »

What does it mean when a girl calls a boy cute? I got "cute" used on me last night (specifically, it was something like "you're cuter than (some other boy)"), and I'm still not sure what the hell it means. I know it's usually a good thing, but as far as I've been told, it means a thousand and one different things, and it depends on the girl what its meaning is. Can any of you shed any light on it, or is as complex and undefinable as I've been told it is?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: November 18, 2020, 08:16:25 pm »

Never gotten that from anybody, so I wouldn't know.  Be more like me and you won't encounter such stressing moral quandaries.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: November 18, 2020, 08:30:48 pm »

I’m a girl, and while I don’t converse very often, from what I gather from sitcoms, it means she thinks you look good. If you are confused, ask, explain that you’ve heard that it means many things and you’d like to know what she means by it. Ideally she would tell you, to avoid possible misinterpretations, then again, ideally the USA would stop warring everywhere and get mad when other countries do what they’re doing. Ideally humans wouldn’t be at war at all. Ask her what she means by it, but frame it in a way that makes you sound curious rather than sarcastic(probably not the right  word but still works)
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 637