Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 890544 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6480 on: November 17, 2020, 01:55:54 am »

I see a massive pitfall here. These people are clearly thinking that English is a language that follows consistent and predictable rules. Riddle me this: since when was English even remotely consistent? It's basically a bunch of languages glued together into a hodgepodge of a language, and it shows.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6481 on: November 17, 2020, 02:27:35 am »

Prescriptivism is a useful tool for retaining a semblance of consistency, like avoiding inherently confusing constructs like "irregardless" or "could care less". I don't think many modern grammaticists are overly stressed by singular they, since it serves a clear purpose not met by any other available term. Similarly the omnipresent plural "you" derives from polite/respectful speech (IIRC) which slowly became the default mode of speech until "thou" was crowded out completely. It's not incorrect, because the initial form served a specific purpose. May as well complain that the dative case is no longer clearly distinguished.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: November 17, 2020, 03:30:24 am »

People who are exclusively either prescriptivist or descriptivist are both equally wrong. Language is both prescriptive and descriptive. It follows patterns and it breaks patterns. When it breaks patterns it usually does so in a away that follows other patterns. It's a growing, living being, but where it grows it not random.

I see a massive pitfall here. These people are clearly thinking that English is a language that follows consistent and predictable rules. Riddle me this: since when was English even remotely consistent? It's basically a bunch of languages glued together into a hodgepodge of a language, and it shows.

English is a very consistent language. It's just popular myth that it ain't. Stuff like the bolded part above is basically just internet armchair linguist that's become popular to repeat and seen as truth because it's popularly repeated.

Edit: also meth I too would say that it is strange as in unusual, but not as in bad or wrong at all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:41:22 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: November 17, 2020, 07:11:59 am »

... what? As a native english speaker, no, no it's not very consistent. It's made up of about as many exceptions as it is rules, really. Just about everything I've heard from actual people learning or teaching the language ranks it as one of the harder to pick up, specifically because our shit's kinda' wonky on that front.

S'absolutely a hodgepodge of stolen words, too, heh. English etymology is a trip some days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: November 17, 2020, 07:23:57 am »

I would disagree - as someone who teaches English and someone who is learning a handful of other languages. English is /more/ organized than several other languages. Simple grammar structures, easy passive language, and less than 200 irregular verbs - really not all that bad. Pronunciation is inconsistent, but not the worst in the world.

It's all a moot point because the "hardest" languages to learn have nothing to do with grammar, pronunciation, or exceptions to the rules. The hardest languages to learn are those which are inaccessible. No language has more content than English (lesson books, movies, TV, music, etc.) Same with Chinese and Japanese for Westerners in that regard - they may be tough - as in different, but at least there are good text books and plenty of media to consume. Try picking up Indonesian or Hungarian...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6485 on: November 17, 2020, 01:23:08 pm »

Yep. If you ever want to plunge yourself into an exercise in futility, try learning Xhosa without living in South Africa. The best you can get on the internet is dribs and drabs of partial grammar, and oh boy is there a lot of grammar you need to learn. Same goes for most African languages; I needed to pick up some Kinyarwanda for work a few weeks back and it was quite a trip even knowing a bit of general Nguni grammar.

I feel like English is grammatically quite straightforward, but has some bizarre gotchas with spelling and pronunciation. Most languages have those, though, so it's all fair.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: November 17, 2020, 07:33:56 pm »

Grammar in English is rather consistent and simple. Spelling might be weird. There are hardly any cases, no gendered adjectives or verbs, nice regular word order usually, etc.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: November 17, 2020, 08:15:18 pm »

A row of rowers rowed with the opposing row of rowers, rowing for their lives, while the present champion waited to present the present-shaped cup to the winner.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: November 17, 2020, 08:19:48 pm »

The two people on a date ate dates while sitting near date trees

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: November 17, 2020, 08:27:35 pm »

Buffalo buffalo.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: November 17, 2020, 08:40:36 pm »

And of course, you have sentences that just sound like English had a stroke:
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Or with punctuation, as if you can improve on perfection:
James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: November 17, 2020, 09:18:41 pm »

I looked up Google images for mimic and noticed most take the form of chests, why not skip the middleman and take the form of why adventurers(prey) go for the chests? Why not take the form of currency directly? Do young mimics look like currency?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: November 17, 2020, 09:28:13 pm »

I looked up Google images for mimic and noticed most take the form of chests, why not skip the middleman and take the form of why adventurers(prey) go for the chests? Why not take the form of currency directly? Do young mimics look like currency?
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/seeker-of-thrones-6-63/

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: November 17, 2020, 10:47:36 pm »

Am I imagining this being a thing? Two guys on a weightlifter forum were arguing because one said he worked out every other day, and the other said that was impossible because there are 7 days in a week.

I can't find it anywhere.

I think Delicious In Dungeon did something with that idea.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 648