Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687526 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5655 on: March 24, 2020, 02:57:23 pm »

there are there are 10 possible ways, Inventory, inVENTory, inventORy, inventorY, INVENTory, INventORy, INventorY, inVENTORy, inVENTorY, inventORY
Only if you break the rules of the English language. Stresses fall on syllables. I, VENT, OR and Y are not syllables in inventory. Your choices are in-ven-to-ry.
i know there were 4 syllables, thank you for correcting their placement

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: March 24, 2020, 08:27:51 pm »

What does "up, up" mean in military terms?   
I'm assuming it means "[on the] up and up" or "all good" or something, but Google was entirely unhelpful in trying to confirm that.   
I'm still wondering about this...   
Shameless, Yoink. Do you have a context? I know a few people from different militaries and they might have an answer.
Well, in the film I saw it in the team leader asked for a weapons check after a brief firefight and everyone replied with how combat-ready they were (mostly in terms of ammunition) and, after saying they were good to go, appended "up, up" to it.   
I don't think it was "hup, hup", although I am kind of deaf. It wouldn't make sense in this context afaik, and the subtitles were pretty spot-on in the rest of the film. This was US military, although I've no idea how accurate its representation was in the movie.   
Finally, I'm not sure what you mean is shameless! Just bumping a question that got missed. :-[   

Also, I say inventory.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: March 24, 2020, 08:43:28 pm »

Also, I say inventory.   
Which part is emphasized?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50:09 pm »

Just joking, Yoink. Asked a friend and he said he hadn't heard it. He hasn't been in the US military for some years, though, so it might be more modern jargon. He did say that hup was for marching, and rarely, someone would use it for like - let's go - "hup hup". Which might match your description.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: March 25, 2020, 01:13:26 am »

It could be that the actor disterpreted huphup into upup
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: March 25, 2020, 06:41:14 am »

Why do some people think killing flies on sight is unethical? They can't really think, and they are intruding on my territory, and I don't want them to disturb me during gaming, coding, or meditation, whatever. So if I see one I grab the flyswatter.
Well I think it's perfectly ethical. I once impaled a few flies on needles for pestering me. Mosquitoes are even worse. I feed them to ants (or spiders) or pluck their wings off and bury them alive in flower pots.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: March 25, 2020, 06:48:52 am »

Killing for fun, amusement or distraction is never ethical.

I hesitate to call any killing ethical, just on occasion necessary.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: March 25, 2020, 07:07:06 am »

Why do some people think killing flies on sight is unethical? They can't really think, and they are intruding on my territory, and I don't want them to disturb me during gaming, coding, or meditation, whatever. So if I see one I grab the flyswatter.
Well I think it's perfectly ethical. I once impaled a few flies on needles for pestering me. Mosquitoes are even worse. I feed them to ants (or spiders) or pluck their wings off and bury them alive in flower pots.
I normally keep silent about out-of-norm things, but that's just fucked up. That's sadistic. What did they do to you that would deserve such treatment?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: March 25, 2020, 07:24:39 am »

I normally keep silent about out-of-norm things, but that's just fucked up. That's sadistic. What did they do to you that would deserve such treatment?
Flies are nonsentient pests who crap everywhere. And mosquitoes kill a lot of people yearly by spreading malaria and other diseases. And have you ever been to the part of the world where I live? You can't go outside in summer without getting swarmed by both species of insects. And as Steppewolf said, there is absolutely no way I will affect the population (perhaps unfortunately).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: March 25, 2020, 07:32:40 am »

Flies are nonsentient pests who crap everywhere. And mosquitoes kill a lot of people yearly by spreading malaria and other diseases. And have you ever been to the part of the world where I live? You can't go outside in summer without getting swarmed by both species of insects. And as Steppewolf said, there is absolutely no way I will affect the population (perhaps unfortunately).
Personally, it's not the killing part that I care about, it's the part where you torture them (or do things that would qualify as torture were it repeated on higher animals, rather) that struck me as... odd.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: March 25, 2020, 07:37:22 am »

imagine if something bigger than you took off your legs and buried you in dirt. This isn’t just killing, this is torture

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:04 am »

I definitely wouldn't torture, say, a bird if it flew into my house. I would try and put it outside. Torturing higher animals is just... gross and actually fucked up (also illegal). I have no real empathy for insects though...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: March 25, 2020, 07:49:30 am »

I definitely wouldn't torture, say, a bird if it flew into my house. I would try and put it outside. Torturing higher animals is just... gross and actually fucked up (also illegal). I have no real empathy for insects though...
oh, so just because they have exoskeletons they don’t deserve life?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: March 25, 2020, 07:53:10 am »

oh, so just because they have exoskeletons they don’t deserve life?
Wasn't this brought up before in a somewhat similar discussion? Insects have much less intelligence than most vertebrates.

And I am not even apathetic towards most insects. I like ants, and I think destroying anthills that are outside of gardens (where they are pests) is messed up.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: March 25, 2020, 08:15:51 am »

They don't do those things out of malice, ya know. We humans kinda have the monopoly on that.   
It's one thing to swat them - it's necessity, really. But torturing them to death is just weird, no matter how little in the way of pain receptors they may have.   
That said, I do remember catching one in eighth grade during some stupid sewing class and sewing the thing to the worksheet of a friend. That was pretty funny. Also pretty gross, since it bled more like a tick than a fly. Ugh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 637