Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687518 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5640 on: March 20, 2020, 10:16:31 pm »

That was sincere.

There's no way to disprove Solipsism. But it is against intuition and doesn't give much for what it takes away. So most people (hehe) ignore it.

Testing "thinking" is real hard, since we don't have a solid definition of thinking for humans nor a good grasp of how it works for us. So generally testing has been about learning in animals. And just about everything can learn to some degree, as long as it feels pain.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: March 20, 2020, 11:23:41 pm »

Cells in multicellular orgsnisms don’t all do thinking, but when they are together there is emerging complexity. What does an animal have to do in order for you to consider it thinking?
Be able to provably learn and use its newfound knowledge; be able to either show emotion or interpret them, preferably both; have some degree of social organization.

The higher the degree of those traits, the higher an animal's moral weight is, roughly.
There are solitary animals, di they not think? If I don’t have emotion for like, 3 days, do I not think?
...I'm honestly not sure. There has to be a better way of defining sapience.

Thought is cognition/consciousness to me. Typing is a non-thoight action, but coming up with the words is done in thought.
Is there a way one can determine if others think?
Why do some people think killing flies on sight is unethical? They can't really think, and they are intruding on my territory, and I don't want them to disturb me during gaming, coding, or meditation, whatever. So if I see one I grab the flyswatter.
How would TheSteppeWolf know whether flies can think or not? People don’t really have any way of determining whether other humans think, let alone other animals. We just assume other humans can think because the human doing the assuming has thoughts, so other humans must have thoughts too. Why doesn’t this extend to other animals? They exhibit behaviors too, which when humans do them they are considered thinking. I don’t understand how someone can know that insects don’t think
I think it depends on how advanced said behaviors are. Also if the animal is cute/useful or not, and flies are neither. They're annoying and spread disease.

Also, flies are so plentiful that even if every single human on Earth made it their life goal to personally (no spraying insecticides from airplanes, only cans or flyswatters) kill every fly they see, nonstop, until they die or all flies are wiped out, they won't even *dent* the fly population. There's no way it will result in anything bad if I kill every fly that intrudes in my home.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: March 20, 2020, 11:49:20 pm »

Cells in multicellular orgsnisms don’t all do thinking, but when they are together there is emerging complexity. What does an animal have to do in order for you to consider it thinking?
Be able to provably learn and use its newfound knowledge; be able to either show emotion or interpret them, preferably both; have some degree of social organization.

The higher the degree of those traits, the higher an animal's moral weight is, roughly.
There are solitary animals, di they not think? If I don’t have emotion for like, 3 days, do I not think?

Thought is cognition/consciousness to me. Typing is a non-thoight action, but coming up with the words is done in thought.
Why do some people think killing flies on sight is unethical? They can't really think, and they are intruding on my territory, and I don't want them to disturb me during gaming, coding, or meditation, whatever. So if I see one I grab the flyswatter.
How would TheSteppeWolf know whether flies can think or not? People don’t really have any way of determining whether other humans think, let alone other animals. We just assume other humans can think because the human doing the assuming has thoughts, so other humans must have thoughts too. Why doesn’t this extend to other animals? They exhibit behaviors too, which when humans do them they are considered thinking. I don’t understand how someone can know that insects don’t think
I think it depends on how advanced said behaviors are. Also if the animal is cute/useful or not, and flies are neither. They're annoying and spread disease.

Also, flies are so plentiful that even if every single human on Earth made it their life goal to personally (no spraying insecticides from airplanes, only cans or flyswatters) kill every fly they see, nonstop, until they die or all flies are wiped out, they won't even *dent* the fly population. There's no way it will result in anything bad if I kill every fly that intrudes in my home.
advanced can be subjective, for all we know, flies can think we are simple for not being able to fly, not being able to molt, not having an exoskeleton, not performing metamorphosis. A person that is paralyzed can still think, even though they can’t move. Whether or not we find an animal useful or not does not automatically change their brain capacity. If we think dogs are annoying and spread disease (every animal spreads disease), that will not change how their brains work. An experiment involving fruit flies showed that they take longer to decide which path to take if both of them smelled the same smell. The smell used was a smell the flies knew was dangerous, the expe5iemtnstsrted with one path being a stronger smell and the other being a weaker version of the same smell. At the beginning, they didn’t take long to pick the path with the weaker smells, but as the paths became more similar, they took l0nger to choose.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: March 20, 2020, 11:49:39 pm »

What does "up, up" mean in military terms?   
I'm assuming it means "[on the] up and up" or "all good" or something, but Google was entirely unhelpful in trying to confirm that.   
I'm still wondering about this...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: March 21, 2020, 12:15:34 am »

advanced can be subjective, for all we know, flies can think we are simple for not being able to fly, not being able to molt, not having an exoskeleton, not performing metamorphosis. A person that is paralyzed can still think, even though they can’t move. Whether or not we find an animal useful or not does not automatically change their brain capacity. If we think dogs are annoying and spread disease (every animal spreads disease), that will not change how their brains work. An experiment involving fruit flies showed that they take longer to decide which path to take if both of them smelled the same smell. The smell used was a smell the flies knew was dangerous, the expe5iemtnstsrted with one path being a stronger smell and the other being a weaker version of the same smell. At the beginning, they didn’t take long to pick the path with the weaker smells, but as the paths became more similar, they took l0nger to choose.
I don't know how to explain this to you, but I find flies much dumber than dogs. I don't think they can even learn instead of acting on instinct.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: March 21, 2020, 12:23:19 am »

What does "up, up" mean in military terms?   
I'm assuming it means "[on the] up and up" or "all good" or something, but Google was entirely unhelpful in trying to confirm that.   
I'm still wondering about this...   
Shameless, Yoink. Do you have a context? I know a few people from different militaries and they might have an answer.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: March 21, 2020, 08:08:56 am »

Do you mean "up" or "hup"? "Hup" is just a colloquial abbreviation of "Get your thumb out of your ass and prove you can move faster than my dead grandma, you limp-dicked sockfucker", and as such has many uses.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: March 21, 2020, 08:19:59 am »

That was sincere.

Thank you.  I thought it was very clever!
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: March 24, 2020, 01:42:38 pm »

How do you pronounce the word "inventory"? Where do you put the emphasis?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: March 24, 2020, 01:43:32 pm »

I say inVENTory, but others say that is wrong

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: March 24, 2020, 01:51:56 pm »

Aren't dictionaries a thing that exists?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: March 24, 2020, 02:01:45 pm »

Dictionaries don't tell me how other people pronounce words. I've heard it pronounced three different ways at my work by various people, some of whom come from different regions of English speaking countries. I'm curious man, sue me :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: March 24, 2020, 02:13:45 pm »

Ah. You want to know who pronounces it wrong then. :P

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: March 24, 2020, 02:23:36 pm »

there are there are 10 possible ways, Inventory, inVENTory, inventORy, inventorY, INVENTory, INventORy, INventorY, inVENTORy, inVENTorY, inventORY

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: March 24, 2020, 02:55:51 pm »

there are there are 10 possible ways, Inventory, inVENTory, inventORy, inventorY, INVENTory, INventORy, INventorY, inVENTORy, inVENTorY, inventORY
Only if you break the rules of the English language. Stresses fall on syllables. I, VENT, OR and Y are not syllables in inventory. Your choices are in-ven-to-ry.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 637