Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 890332 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5595 on: March 12, 2020, 06:19:11 pm »

It’s racing stripes for RAM.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 13, 2020, 07:51:37 am »

Is there a reason why the RAM modules on my laptop are hidden behind a metal shield? Every other laptop I've opened up doesn't do this, so why would this one be different?

Heat transfer. It's supposed to help move the heat away from the working parts and to the air the fans moves around. Laptops generally have less volume, so less air movement, so they try to put in parts that put off so much heat. The problem comes in when people want a laptop that is as fast as a desktop.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 14, 2020, 12:49:58 am »

So, my old laptop is so terrible that it can't be traded-in, and it's so slow that using it is a test of patience. I also don't feel comfortable giving it to anyone, because I don't wish to subject others to the torture that is using this laptop. What can I do with it?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 14, 2020, 12:53:06 am »

Battery recycling places also take old laptops. Or load it with smaller and smaller versions of linux just for fun. I think feather runs on 16mb.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 14, 2020, 02:45:32 am »

You could throw it off an overpass at an oncoming car, or you could put it in the microwave for a few minutes and see what happens.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: March 14, 2020, 04:59:04 am »

Go to the park and pretend to be doing some work, shout out in frustration and throw the laptop into the nearest body of water. 

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: March 14, 2020, 07:57:20 pm »

I opened up my old laptop to take a look at its components. The RAM in this thing is actually decent, 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR4-2400. The kicker is, this thing runs it at 1866 MHz. Why'd the manufacturer go for 2400 MHz RAM if it would never support such speeds? Was DDR4-1866 RAM no longer manufactured by the time this thing was made in ~2016?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: March 15, 2020, 10:43:03 am »

Have any of you heard the Don't hug me I'm scared videos backwards? I'm doing that now, downloaded an MP3 of a video that combines all 6, put it into Audacity, and am listening to it now. It is very interesting  :D

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: March 15, 2020, 01:21:09 pm »

Small random question-
why

(You have interesting audio tastes!  That sounds very spooky.  Backwards audio already sounds spooky, and I imagine that using such spooky content would make it even spookier when you know what it was)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: March 15, 2020, 03:48:05 pm »

Because it sounds amazing

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:39 pm »

What is it like to have depth perception? What's it like to always be able to judge distance without having to process what you're seeing?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: March 19, 2020, 09:20:43 pm »

What is it like to have depth perception? What's it like to always be able to judge distance without having to process what you're seeing?
i wish I could tell you. I only have one working eye

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: March 19, 2020, 10:15:55 pm »

I can't tell the difference. If I close one eye or keep it covered for a long time, I don't notice any difference.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: March 19, 2020, 10:17:54 pm »

It's like a three point shot from half court, I guess.

I'm not actually sure, I vaguely remember folks saying people with one functioning eye still have depth perception, or something like that. Other than that, I haven't personally lost it at any point I can recall, so trying to explain it is like someone who has never had visual snow try to explain what the world looks like to someone that's always had it. What's it like to have a field of vision not filled with mostly transparent wiggling blobs of static-y color overlaying everything? What's the lie of stillness like to experience? Does the world ever stop moving to you? Is there ever only darkness behind your closed eyes? These are things I've never lived. Words grant an idea or approximation, but they can't be lived. I don't know depth perception's lack, and I've been hallucinating 24/7 for over three decades.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:19:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: March 19, 2020, 10:19:58 pm »

I know distances between things, I also learned in anatomy or physiology that depth perception is a bi ocular vision cue, which implies two eyes are needed for it
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 648