Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687377 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #4710 on: November 19, 2018, 08:09:34 am »

Water is a polar molecule, which means the two hydrogen atoms have a positive charge and the oxygen a negative, so the molecules tend to orientate themselves a particular way with respect to each other. In the liquid state, that's not enough to matter, but in solid form, the hydrogen bonds are strong enough that the molecules are forced into a crystal lattice. That lattice has more empty space in it than liquid water does.

It's a fairly rare quality that's probably not unique to water, but isn't very intuitive.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: November 19, 2018, 08:28:13 am »

Water is a polar molecule, which means the two hydrogen atoms have a positive charge and the oxygen a negative, so the molecules tend to orientate themselves a particular way with respect to each other. In the liquid state, that's not enough to matter, but in solid form, the hydrogen bonds are strong enough that the molecules are forced into a crystal lattice. That lattice has more empty space in it than liquid water does.

It's a fairly rare quality that's probably not unique to water, but isn't very intuitive.

Hence why it grows when frozen, instead of shrinking.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: November 19, 2018, 08:39:29 am »

There are solid phases of water that are denser than the liquid, but most of them don't occur naturally. The only exception can be seen when a Starbucks barista is ordered to put the ice on the bottom of the cup.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:38 am »

A coffee is natural? Wouldn’t that be man-made? Jk, nice joke.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: November 19, 2018, 08:59:23 am »

Regardless, land rising when glaciers go away is a well established phenomena. Scandinavia for example has risen a lot since the end of the last ice age and is in fact still rising because of it.
Love, scriver~

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: November 19, 2018, 09:00:14 am »

Regardless, land rising when glaciers go away is a well established phenomena. Scandinavia for example has risen a lot since the end of the last ice age and is in fact still rising because of it.
How do you know they didn't have bewitched dense ice?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: November 19, 2018, 09:26:12 am »

Incidentally, Ices III and IX are actually denser than water; that it expands when freezing depends on how open a crystal structure it freezes into.

(And, since some idiot always brings this up: no, ice IX does not act as a seed crystal in room-temperature water, it will not destroy all life on earth, and no one thinks references to Cat's Cradle are clever.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: November 19, 2018, 11:48:27 am »

Also worth noting that ice made from heavy water does in fact sink when placed in normal water, due to its greater density.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: November 19, 2018, 11:55:42 am »

Continuing this interesting conversation, it is worth noting that anything that happens to have ice in its name that isn't what people generally refer to when they mention just 'ice', is likely different than ice because that's what makes it not ice. It's true.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: November 19, 2018, 11:57:50 am »

Continuing this interesting conversation, it is worth noting that anything that happens to have ice in its name that isn't what people generally refer to when they mention just 'ice', is likely different than ice because that's what makes it not ice. It's true.

Oh fuck, what's shaved ice made from then? Should I see a doctor?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: November 19, 2018, 12:04:47 pm »

It's made from shaves. Duh. Hasn't your barber taught you anything?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: November 19, 2018, 02:18:11 pm »

Incidentally, Ices III and IX are actually denser than water; that it expands when freezing depends on how open a crystal structure it freezes into.

(And, since some idiot always brings this up: no, ice IX does not act as a seed crystal in room-temperature water, it will not destroy all life on earth, and no one thinks references to Cat's Cradle are clever.)
Well... I was going to have thought that it was clever...  Well played.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: November 19, 2018, 03:57:17 pm »

Well... I was going to have thought that it was clever...  Well played.

I'd disagree, I think essentially all references are some positive non-zero amount of clever (even those referencing things that have become cliches). In fact, I might be more specific and say that the cleverness of a reference increases the more obscure it is, but has a value of zero (or perhaps negative) if it isn't understood by the intended reader at all. Since Cat's Cradle isn't ubiquitous enough to be cliched, has relatively high obscurity in the general population, but also likely has a relatively high proportion of readers that would get it in this particular place, I would say the reference's aggregate or mean cleverness over this thread's readers would reasonably exceed the acceptable minimum.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: November 19, 2018, 05:03:45 pm »

What would be the reaction and response if I made a historical architecture thread?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: November 19, 2018, 05:06:43 pm »

Interest from me. A definite PTW, though further interaction is not necessarily assured.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 637