Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687494 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4365 on: June 08, 2018, 07:35:30 pm »

because bills are made of a much cheaper material

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:46 pm »

Oh right, I actually looked that up but forgot to reply.  Looks like US bills cost about 6c each, so good luck making 1c bills.
Even though, to be fair, pennies cost 1.5c to make... Still.

Also, imagine the greatest amount of change you can need (3 quarters, 2 dimes and 4 pennies) in the palm of your hand... And then the same as 9 bills.  Bulkier, and have to be individually flipped through to even read.

(My random source said dollar coins cost 10c to make, probably since they're 88.5% copper unlike pennies.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: June 09, 2018, 12:54:02 am »

There shouldn't even be pennies anymore. They're about as literally worthless as currency gets.
Disregarding hyperinflation I guess. But! Still very, very worthless. It's a coin that's not worth picking up off the ground.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: June 09, 2018, 06:12:44 am »

There shouldn't even be pennies anymore. They're about as literally worthless as currency gets.
Disregarding hyperinflation I guess. But! Still very, very worthless. It's a coin that's not worth picking up off the ground.
Except that they're lucky!

And yeah, in 2013 Norway completely phased out their lowest denomination coin, worth 0.50 Kroner. Equivalent value of about 5-6 US cents. They're now no longer accepted anywhere, in case you happened to find an old one in between the sofa cushions or something (which is entirely possible, because the damn things were TINY).

Sadly, this was the last physical representation of the fractional Krone, known as the Øre. This is sad because the Krone-Øre relation is kinda funny, or at least I think so. "Krone" is the Norwegian word for "Crown", as a lot of countries just kept referring to their currency as crowns well into the modern age... But where a penny is under a dollar, what's under a crown?

Why, the ears, of course. "Øre" is the Norwegian word for "Ear".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: June 09, 2018, 07:32:51 am »

... they also weigh much, much less. You could mint higher value coins, I guess, but nothing's going to change that paper (well, pseudo-paper made of thread or whatever it is we're using these days) is lighter and significantly easier to carry.

'Course, plastic (i.e. electronic funds) beats the ever loving hell out of either of them on those fronts (save at more or less pointlessly small amounts of dosh), so hey.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: June 09, 2018, 08:24:05 am »

... they also weigh much, much less. You could mint higher value coins, I guess, but nothing's going to change that paper (well, pseudo-paper made of thread or whatever it is we're using these days) is lighter and significantly easier to carry.

'Course, plastic (i.e. electronic funds) beats the ever loving hell out of either of them on those fronts (save at more or less pointlessly small amounts of dosh), so hey.
I heard they are made of cotton now....

Good luck paying for that childs lemonade stand with a credit card tho

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: June 09, 2018, 08:42:18 am »

Well, they could use a certain busking app that was on NPR last month, designed to quickly charge a dollar just by tapping your phone against it.

Yeah, I refuse to set up quick-pay on my phone either...  It was a neat interview about London busking though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: June 09, 2018, 11:54:11 am »

Except that they're lucky!

And yeah, in 2013 Norway completely phased out their lowest denomination coin, worth 0.50 Kroner. Equivalent value of about 5-6 US cents. They're now no longer accepted anywhere, in case you happened to find an old one in between the sofa cushions or something (which is entirely possible, because the damn things were TINY).

Sadly, this was the last physical representation of the fractional Krone, known as the Øre. This is sad because the Krone-Øre relation is kinda funny, or at least I think so. "Krone" is the Norwegian word for "Crown", as a lot of countries just kept referring to their currency as crowns well into the modern age... But where a penny is under a dollar, what's under a crown?

Why, the ears, of course. "Øre" is the Norwegian word for "Ear".

Hah, I never thought of that being the reason.
Love, scriver~

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: June 15, 2018, 03:49:56 pm »

So, thing I noticed and what to know if other people are like this. Whatever the feeling people seem to get associated with 'cute' things is. I don't feel it. Is this a thing other people are like? Like people are always looking at pictures of cats and stuff but I look at them and I feel the same as normal.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: June 15, 2018, 06:00:15 pm »

Cats are cute. As are a lot of other things. Oddly, I don't think human babies are very cute. Which is odd, because that's presumably the whole point of having a "cute" emotion.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4375 on: June 22, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »

Are there accounts describing exactly what mistakes green soldiers make that get them killed? Any time period is fine.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: June 22, 2018, 08:06:09 pm »

This guide lists a few.

Seems like walking backwards whilst under fire is one of the worst ones.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4377 on: June 27, 2018, 01:16:30 am »

Damn you for giving me exactly what I asked for Yoink!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: June 27, 2018, 02:47:38 am »

Are there accounts describing exactly what mistakes green soldiers make that get them killed? Any time period is fine.
Letting Drake lead them into combat?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: June 27, 2018, 08:26:24 am »

When you fight dragons it is best to have the Leads From the Rear trait.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 637