Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687765 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4320 on: April 29, 2018, 11:56:33 pm »

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that people endorse it because it reinforces their own intrinsic biases, rather than because of it having some objective evidence to support it. (Indeed, there is a long history of evidence suggesting it leads to a horrific dystopian landscape). 

Specifically, it relates to the "Temporarily embarrassed billionaire" behaviors of many people in industrial countries, of which the USA is the freaking poster child of expression incidence.   

The people that envision it as "GREAT!", envision themselves as being part of the group that owns everything, or of being a high stakes holder in those powerful corporations that will take power.  They never consider that they will be part of the 99% that will be royally screwed over by the existence of the corporatocracy.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: April 30, 2018, 05:11:41 am »

Basically - national lottery and the ballot is your scratchcard.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: April 30, 2018, 08:02:06 am »

Basically - national lottery and the ballot is your scratchcard.

Hey, maybe that's the ticket... We should run elections like raffles! A single vote is isolated from the basket at random, and determines the presidency. More people voting for the same thing just increases the odds of that thing being on the winning slip.

Nice and fair, and every vote really does count!  Also makes it entirely possible for some shitshow write-in candidate to suddenly be elected POTUS, but that's kinda what happens anyways.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: May 01, 2018, 05:15:33 am »

It's not a key, is it? For, like, locking the screen down or something? What's the port look like on the inside?

Check if any of these look like it, because it sure sounds like the ethernet symbol to me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: May 11, 2018, 04:39:15 pm »

Y'know, I've had an idea for ages where it's a ghost hunter/paranormal investigation series like you tend to see on extremely scientific cable channels, where a crew of amateurs goes out to rumored sites with rudimentary equipment and journal their time spent seeking the unknown.

The twist in this case would be for them to actually find something, and eventually the entire crew gets abducted/slaughtered by whatever force they pursued a bit too closely, only to appear in a new adventure on the next episode as though nothing had happened.

So it's like Ghost Hunters, except a bit less pandering to the camera to make up for ghosts not existing, and a bit more vindication at the end.

So, my question... How awesome would that be?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: May 11, 2018, 04:47:25 pm »

Y'know, I've had an idea for ages where it's a ghost hunter/paranormal investigation series like you tend to see on extremely scientific cable channels, where a crew of amateurs goes out to rumored sites with rudimentary equipment and journal their time spent seeking the unknown.

The twist in this case would be for them to actually find something, and eventually the entire crew gets abducted/slaughtered by whatever force they pursued a bit too closely, only to appear in a new adventure on the next episode as though nothing had happened.

So it's like Ghost Hunters, except a bit less pandering to the camera to make up for ghosts not existing, and a bit more vindication at the end.

it sounds interesting but I think the gimmick might wear thin quickly, I think it might be better if it starts out as a normal ghost show but then they get abducted by a group and the show becomes the crew/actors trying to survive. just my two cents though, the original could work if handled correctly but it has a very good chance to be handled poorly
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: May 12, 2018, 05:12:38 am »

GhostFacers
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: May 12, 2018, 05:13:02 am »

What is a Forum?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: May 12, 2018, 05:15:32 am »

Ad forum ambulabas?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: May 12, 2018, 09:59:15 am »

it sounds interesting but I think the gimmick might wear thin quickly, I think it might be better if it starts out as a normal ghost show but then they get abducted by a group and the show becomes the crew/actors trying to survive. just my two cents though, the original could work if handled correctly but it has a very good chance to be handled poorly

It's basically just a matter of entirely not approaching the subject of previous episodes, so you can use the same crew to investigate completely different phenomena and cover the gambit of cryptozoology and paranormal investigation without having to overhaul the framework of the show.

I mean, people watch things like Blair Witch which outright states at the outset that everyone involved is dead and/or gone, as is the case with most found-footage type affairs... There's still some interest in seeing when and how everything goes to shit. The idea is to emulate the "real" investigative shows enough to set up the setting and get our suspension of disbelief piqued, and then the end satiates the craving for something to happen, which isn't going to happen with the nonfiction shows for obvious reasons. Killing everyone off in the end is more just because you might as well; there's not supposed to be any continuity between episodes anyways.

But yeah, the specifics of building each story and making sure the thing doesn't grind itself into utter dullness is a catch, but that kinda goes for anything.

In an unrelated question, I've got a .7 bottle of Valhalla-brand mead on my booze shelf, and while the bottle is indeed pretty cool, I'm considerably less than impressed with the contents. It's sickly sweet and tastes like slightly yeasty pear cider enhanced with concentrated elderberry extract, finished off with an aftertaste akin to biting down on a big spoonful of raw honey. No carbonation. Any ideas of something I could mix this stuff with to make it a bit more drinkable? It's like a really schizophrenic, really sugary dessert wine.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: May 12, 2018, 10:45:54 am »

Any ideas of something I could mix this stuff with to make it a bit more drinkable? It's like a really schizophrenic, really sugary dessert wine.
If dessert wine, make dessert? Stick it in ice cream or make a slushie out of it. Seem to recall you can bake with alcohol someway or another, so maybe look that up and make bread and/or cake.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4332 on: May 12, 2018, 03:23:45 pm »

Is there any use for all this scrap notebook and printer paper I have?

I like erasing notes I've made on used notebook paper and reusing them for scratch paper for doing math or whatnot. I use pencil, then I sometimes switch to dark pens once the page is full of pencil marks, but once I've filled up a scratch paper with writing it's a waste of an eraser to try and make the page reusable for writing equations. I want to save my trash bags from filling up with something I can reuse, is there anything I can do?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:27:06 pm by Parsely »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: May 12, 2018, 04:15:51 pm »

Burn it for warmth in the cold winter nights.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: May 12, 2018, 04:24:01 pm »

Arts and crafts, I guess? Paper mache, origami, turn it into zen tangles or somethin', etc. Animal bedding of some sorts can be made with shredded paper, iirc, and I could half swear there's something similar you can do with gardening. Think you can make very half-assed insulation with it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 637