Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687783 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4260 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:07 pm »

Aw man, I was just doing a meme.  I don't actually have a strong opinion on the "are hotdogs open-faced sandwiches" issue.  I kinda forgot that some people get aggressive about it, which is silly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:47 pm »

I dunno, I tend to think that piling things onto bread should work pretty well, provided it's mixed well enough. The guys at the sandwich shop seem to layer things on in this order:
meat, cheese, lettuce (shredded), tomato (sliced) with mustard and mayo on the supper bun. That may just as well be for standardization as for quality, though. I don't think I've ever eaten a sandwich that felt wrong because the things were in the wrong order. (This HAS happened with burritos, though.)
Another place did a strange thing where they wrapped the meat and cheese slices around the lettuce and tomato, like a wrap but in a sub bun.

Also I asked some of my family for their thoughts on this question and they say to only use ingredients that are good individually (like, that you'd be willing to have a bit of by themselves), to have some balance (balance is practically the whole point of the sandwich, do keep it in mind!), and to NOT USE WHITE BREAD, which does not qualify as food.

As you might imagine, we're all pretty passionate about sandwiches here.

...And while I was away with this post half-written to eat dinner, SIX replies come up, almost all about the stupid hotdog question, which isn't even relevant here.
Regardless of a hotdog's classification, one should apply the same sort of thinking: use good things, have some balance. The hotdog may just be a wad of meat in a bun by default so you can have a bit more leeway in terms of disbalance, something like relish or sauerkraut will act nicely.

So; there's your real reply to this very serious and dire question. Shame on all of you who replied with shitposts to this poor wayward soul, merely seeking advice on sandwich enlightenment.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: April 16, 2018, 10:43:56 pm »

For some kinds of sandwich, the order in which things are applied can result in unpleasant mouth-feel, such as soggy bread, or lack of condiment potency.
Tomato right next to bread is a bad idea, as the tomato will moisten the bread and make it soggy-- etc.

I wouldn't call these rules per se, more general guidelines.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:45 pm »

Well you'll generally not want to leave your sandwich uneaten long enough for it to get soggy. Because you're hungry, dude.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: April 17, 2018, 12:00:58 am »

I don't think I've ever eaten a sandwich that felt wrong because the things were in the wrong order.

What if you put the butter on the outside of the bun?
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: April 17, 2018, 12:03:34 am »

That's one of the steps to making grilled cheese properly.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: April 17, 2018, 12:05:21 am »

Using individually-delicious ingredients is problematic when I'm hungry and harried enough to be making a sandwich.
But if there's time, and I'm feeling culinary, grilled-cheese with herbs and spices is the way to go.  Generally to sop up grease from a pan before cleaning, because wasting food feels bad.

Otherwise I just end up eating a salad piece-by-piece and also some bread.  Which works for me~

ninja'd by grilled cheese- wait, it's supposed to involve butter?  That sounds like cheating.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: April 17, 2018, 12:24:15 am »

Butter the bread both sides. Sear on med-low heat in pan one side each slice. Flip over, put cheese on top each slice, cover with lid, check frequently.  Flip one slice over onto the other then remove from pan. Serve.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:42 am »

Also add a smattering of sugar and maybe mayo, apparently. Haven't done the latter 'cause I just don't like mayo, but a light bit of sugar is like a minimum 50% improvement to tonguejoy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: April 17, 2018, 09:43:52 am »

Is there a word for wanting what you can't have? I feel like there is and I know it, but it's escaped to the tip of my tongue.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: April 17, 2018, 09:48:42 pm »

How come processors have stopped obeying Moore's law?

I think it was largely because they were hitting the limit as to how small things could get with current techniques and materials.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: April 17, 2018, 11:45:00 pm »

They already are...  What do you think heat does to tiny logic gates? :P

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: April 18, 2018, 11:12:35 am »

I remember that back at training... when things heat up the logic gates become emotional and start behaving emotionally and suddenly they want a divorce.

We call them emotional gates. They get weird in the heat of the moment but when things cool down they are ok.
In a time before time, I had a name.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: April 18, 2018, 11:21:34 am »

Yep, the next step is quantum computing, which is a whole other realm.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: April 18, 2018, 03:27:27 pm »

Is there a word for wanting what you can't have? I feel like there is and I know it, but it's escaped to the tip of my tongue.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shit I think that's it. Thank you!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 637