Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687510 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4215 on: March 13, 2018, 06:11:17 pm »

Edit: wrong goddamn thread fml
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:15:58 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4216 on: March 13, 2018, 11:48:19 pm »

How thick does a pair of thighs have to be to be considered "thick thighs" with the capacity to save lives? I saw a woman with one of those patches on her backpack and at a (chaste, purely scientific) glance her thighs didn't see to be overly large.
Perhaps I am just clueless as to how thighs are actually measured? Perhaps she was offering a message of solidarity to women falling outside of certain ridiculous beauty standards? Or perhaps she herself had suffered from such body issues at some point?
It's just a meme

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: March 29, 2018, 11:09:30 am »

... anyone happen to know of a decent resource for parsing vehicle coverage exclusions? For reference, I'm looking at this pile of nonsense
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And trying to figure out what's left, that would render the 150+/month USD the policy holder is paying worth it, when I'm not exactly familiar with car bitsies.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4219 on: March 29, 2018, 02:26:18 pm »

Are there any apocalypse stories where people aren't complete assholes to one another and isn't based on the assumption that every stranger is a bandit?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: March 29, 2018, 03:01:19 pm »

Are there any apocalypse stories where people aren't complete assholes to one another and isn't based on the assumption that every stranger is a bandit?
I don't know of any. People seem to have taken the state of nature a bit too literals. Combined with a poor understanding of human social organization this seems to lead to a fallout style understanding of post apocalypses societies. People would do well to look at real world examples such as the bronze age collapse and post plague native american societies and less pop culture understandings.

Don't do Hobbes kids.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:16:04 pm by redwallzyl »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: March 29, 2018, 10:22:08 pm »

I don't know, in such historical periods people were faced with very different circumstances to those of a modern-day apocalypse.
The land would be less tame to begin with, for one thing; and both everyday people and the ruling classes would have lacked a lot of equipment taken for granted today - not to mention guns, the threat of which has a huge impact in most post-apoc settings.
Also, I imagine in those days people would have been able to quite easily recognise someone from their region judging by their ethnic appearance and mode of dress.

The bronze age collapse looks like a fascinating period to study nonetheless, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: March 29, 2018, 10:46:03 pm »

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: March 29, 2018, 11:00:47 pm »

The bronze age collapse looks like a fascinating period to study nonetheless, though.

I found the Extra Credits videos on the Bronze Age collapse a pretty good place to get an over view.
And I have attended a lecture and talked to the guy who wrote the book that that series was directly based on. Quite a nice guy. "1177 the year civilization collapsed" if you want to know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4 Not this specific lecture but a similar one last year.

He recommends the extra credits series by the way. He thought it was quite good.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:09:10 pm by redwallzyl »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: March 29, 2018, 11:31:44 pm »

Aw, so what you're saying is that it wasn't because some random vikings showed up and pillaged the fuck out of everything in sight before going back home? Because that would have been way cooler.
Guess we can save that for the movie adaptation.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4225 on: March 30, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »

I don't know, in such historical periods people were faced with very different circumstances to those of a modern-day apocalypse.
The land would be less tame to begin with, for one thing; and both everyday people and the ruling classes would have lacked a lot of equipment taken for granted today - not to mention guns, the threat of which has a huge impact in most post-apoc settings.
Also, I imagine in those days people would have been able to quite easily recognise someone from their region judging by their ethnic appearance and mode of dress.

I would add that even in media set in Japan where guns aren't widely available and fewer still know how to use them the same assumptions get made.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4226 on: March 31, 2018, 04:33:37 am »

Metro does a surprisingly good job of that. In some places you still kinda assume every stranger is an enemy but that's because they're fascists or somesuch.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: March 31, 2018, 06:24:50 am »

I'm the only one who gets 504 Gateway Time-out on this site?

Nevermind, the website is down.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:29:17 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: March 31, 2018, 08:02:46 am »

Yeah.  It's been down for me since Thursday night, when they did an overhaul of the login system.  They require you to log in via email address instead of username, now, which actually caused a problem for me since I used an old email account.
I have access to the email account now, but yeah, it's been 504 every time I've checked.  Here's hoping it gets better soon!

Edit: And then I thought this was the DND thread
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:04:23 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: March 31, 2018, 08:31:32 am »

I was able to access it somewhere around  ~11:00 AM (Yekaterinburg time), and I even made a couple of posts. Then it stopped responding once I went to eat IRL.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 637