Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 894181 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4155 on: December 20, 2017, 12:36:04 am »

You could just buy a syringe. :P

It has to be quite large, but there's nothing fundamentally special about the ones doctors use.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: December 20, 2017, 12:42:18 am »

Syringe?

Really?  No need for that for debriding ears. Pour some into the cap, set the bottle down, tilt your head, then slowly pour it into the ear from the cap. Try to use the weaker stuff, like the 2-3%, and avoid the 10%.  We arent trying to remove debris from a seriously contaminated wound here, or trying to bleach blood stains out of sheets, or kill c. diff spores.  We just want to soften and dislodge sebum.

Honestly... A syringe?  You can do a lot of damage with a syringe in your ears, even without a needle on it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4157 on: December 20, 2017, 05:25:58 am »

...wierd, the accepted medical way of removing wax buildup is a syringe full of warm water. No-one's suggesting using hydrogen peroxide with the syringe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: December 20, 2017, 06:20:20 am »

I was meaning that you can get a lot of pressure with a syringe, and that is not exactly safe either. Inserting anything into your ear canal is no bueno. I would be more apt to submerge my head in a warm bath then to use a syringe on my ear.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4159 on: December 20, 2017, 07:47:49 am »

I'm gonna carry on trusting every general practitioner I've ever been to over some random guy on the internet. :P The first treatment for wax buildup is almost universally using a large syringe to get a good jet of warm water into the ear. You don't just shove the syringe in as deep as it'll go and then blast or something.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: December 20, 2017, 08:07:30 am »

All the same, it is a procedure that is not without risk.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ear-irrigation#risks

I would not suggest doing it yourself, and would suggest seeing a GP if you need it done with a syringe.  Personally, I have never had problems with low concentration peroxide, as long as you do a nice distilled water flush afterward, and dont leave water in. Your mileage may vary.

I would be very concerned that a typical human type person with a syringe (especially the plunger kind) would be able to damage their ear drum on accident from having too much pressure on the jet, and poor control of the syringe. Eardrums are very sensitive to pressure, and are delicate things. People, by and large, are not very smart ad if they feel their ear is "really stopped up" may be tempted to "really squirt it in", with bad consequences.  Just because it is what the GP does does not mean it is perfectly safe.

Here's a nice scholarly article that tracked the incidence rate of complication from irrigation in a clinical setting:
http://www.bmj.com/content/301/6763/1251

They give odds of adverse outcome from outpatient irrigation at 1/1000, and I would expect the odds of it happening in a less controlled environment (like your home) by an unskilled practitioner (like your average human type person) to be much higher than that.

If you dont want to take the word of some guy on the internet, then how about a clinical researcher?

Quote from: From scholarly journal article

Most general practitioners syringe wax from the canal with a traditional syringe, which can develop pressures of up to 16kPa (110 psi). A few use other water irrigation methods, including dental irrigation systems such as the Water Pik.'7 It is important that the person performing the syringing is fully instructed in the technique. Five general practitioners did not know if their nurses had been instructed in the method of ear syringing.

Further, some doctors actually do recommend the peroxide route.
https://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/best-way-remove-earwax

Quote from: From article

Other ear-cleaning options you should eliminate include ear candling and rinsing with a syringe and water. Kim says that ear candling—which involves putting a hollowed-out candle into your ear, lighting it, and hoping that the suction caused by the heat takes out the earwax—is likely to cause more harm than good. "The heat could potentially burn your ear drum, and it's possible that the candle wax could get stuck in your ear and cause even more of a problem," she says. Trying to flush out your ears with water sounds safe in theory, but Suurna says that the water could get stuck behind the wax or cause the wax to swell due to the moisture.

Your New Earwax Removal Go-Tos
With all of that out of the way, it's good to know that there is actually something you can do to help clear out earwax. Kim says to put a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide in your ear about 10 minutes before jumping in the shower. The peroxide will liquefy the goo and help it rinse out as you go through your normal shower routine. Doing this once a month should help keep things open.

I can probably find others.

Yup, found another.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/04/09/ear-cleaning-mistakes.aspx

Quote from: Article

5. Rinsing With a Syringe

Rinsing with a syringe can be safe, but if you neglect to dry your ear when you’re done you could end up with swimmer’s ear. Generally, there’s no need to rinse your ears with a syringe.

An ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor, or otolaryngologist, can remove earwax using a special suction, miniature instruments and a microscope. If your eardrum is perforated, manual removal by a physician is recommended, however in most other cases you can clear earwax blockages at home.

The simplest way to do this is to first soften the wax by placing a few drops of olive oil, coconut oil or water in your ear. Then, pour a capful of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide in each ear to flush the wax out. It’s worth noting that using plain sterile water, or a sterile saline solution, to soften earwax works just as well as oil or over-the-counter eardrops.

As an aside, the hydrogen peroxide trick (pouring a capful of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide in your ears) also works remarkably well at resolving respiratory infections, like colds and flu. You will hear some bubbling, which is completely normal, and possibly feel a slight stinging sensation. Wait until the bubbling and stinging subside (usually 5 to 10 minutes) then drain onto a tissue and repeat with the other ear.
[/quote
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:48:57 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: December 20, 2017, 11:48:53 am »

I used to have pipes in my ears. I never looked into why or what for put apparently it is a thing they do to kids sometimes.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: December 20, 2017, 12:01:26 pm »

And you...don't know why?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: December 20, 2017, 12:17:45 pm »

I used to have pipes in my ears. I never looked into why or what for put apparently it is a thing they do to kids sometimes.
And you...don't know why?

It's to help alleviate ear pressure issues or problems with the eustachian tube. Used to have those myself, or rather tried, anyway as they kept coming out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:20:44 pm by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: December 20, 2017, 02:08:40 pm »

I almost assumed it was so the tiny super marios that live inside my head have somewhere to come and go.
Love, scriver~

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: December 22, 2017, 03:56:39 pm »

Hmm...Yesterday, I went into my profile info and tried to switch my avatar. After I pasted the new link in, I got a notification that it was successful but now "no avatar" was checked. I tried again with my old avatar and that didn't work either. Tried again today? No dice.

Is this a common issue?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: December 22, 2017, 04:39:05 pm »

Make sure the link isn't https, those won't work.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: December 22, 2017, 04:48:53 pm »

Hey, you're right! I tried a few different hosts and coincidentally, all of them were https. Thanks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #4168 on: December 28, 2017, 08:11:08 pm »

It happened to another Bay12er relatively recently.  It makes sense, but also in many cases could be fixed with scripting.
I've always liked disco
I was expecting more John Travolta...   
I knew it was good but I didn't know it was this good.
How does one even
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:29 am »

Well he built his entire career on that one dance, of course it had to be something special.

Also, cut-away Guy at about 1:40 is the perfect "hey Joe save some pussy for the rest of us" moment: https://youtu.be/LUID0jSh2Ic?t=100
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 649