Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 895606 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4110 on: November 08, 2017, 02:53:47 pm »

Ugh, Biology A Level was disgusting. I only got a C in it. Though, to be fair, that's probably because I was sorta ignoring it in favour of my "main three" subjects.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: November 08, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: November 08, 2017, 05:31:12 pm »

Are there any guesses as to how ant agriculture originally came about?

I'm doing an essay on the evolution of it, and can't actually find anything on the origins, besides the fact it's thought to have evolved in South America 70-50mya. Got plenty of stuff on the further evolution of agriculture, but nothing beyond that on the origins.
There's phylogenetic evidence that the actual fungal domestication is a continuous process.

Here's an article concerning the sequence of events that led to ant agriculture and the evolutionary pressures driving them. In brief, they got dependent on eating fungus first, and then the fungus evolved to feed them, and then they coevolved from there.

I'll keep looking, but at a guess, you might have some success in arguing that they could transition from collecting dead matter as food directly to collecting it as food for their food with minimal adjustment in their behavior patterns, and from there toward gathering behaviors that were fungus-optimal, and thence to fungus dependence. Compare the preferred environments of the wild-growing precursor strains of cultivated fungus to the conditions in an ant colony and see if that kind of incidental growth is plausible before going all-out on it, though.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:38:10 pm by Trekkin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: November 08, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »

I read a sci-fi story online once. Humans were in a war against relatively humanoid aliens and losing. Human society decreed everyone was equal - completely equal. Society and thus advancement has stagnated.
The protagonist betrays humanity and goes over to the alien's side. With his help the aliens win even more. Under his advice, they conquer a human world and execute everyone in it - hanging them from lamposts or something like that.

This results in kicking humanity into gear and the war goes against the aliens. The traitor's fleet is defeated, and he reveals to his alien friend this was his plan all along - by showing one human is supposedly much more evil than the rest, then people are not completely equal in all ways after all. The change in human society that results allows them to advance again and so they outtech the aliens.

Finally, he fakes his escape and incinerates himself, so his body would never be found, so he'd always act as a boogeyman to keep humanity on its toes.

The story ends with the other humans resolving that while one can be better than others at some things, no man is better than others at all things.

I can't remember the name, however, so does this ring any bells for anyone?

It was quite an old story - a short story put on the internet rather than written for the internet, if that makes sense.

E: Never mind, found it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:56:49 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4114 on: November 08, 2017, 08:39:11 pm »

Link it you slag have you no netiquette

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: November 09, 2017, 03:01:49 am »

I read a sci-fi story online once. Humans were in a war against relatively humanoid aliens and losing. Human society decreed everyone was equal - completely equal. Society and thus advancement has stagnated.
The protagonist betrays humanity and goes over to the alien's side. With his help the aliens win even more. Under his advice, they conquer a human world and execute everyone in it - hanging them from lamposts or something like that.

This results in kicking humanity into gear and the war goes against the aliens. The traitor's fleet is defeated, and he reveals to his alien friend this was his plan all along - by showing one human is supposedly much more evil than the rest, then people are not completely equal in all ways after all. The change in human society that results allows them to advance again and so they outtech the aliens.

Finally, he fakes his escape and incinerates himself, so his body would never be found, so he'd always act as a boogeyman to keep humanity on its toes.

The story ends with the other humans resolving that while one can be better than others at some things, no man is better than others at all things.

I can't remember the name, however, so does this ring any bells for anyone?

It was quite an old story - a short story put on the internet rather than written for the internet, if that makes sense.

E: Never mind, found it.
What was it ???

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: November 09, 2017, 04:51:37 pm »

Link it you slag have you no netiquette
Here you go slut
The Highest Treason by Randall Garrett

I link to it because apparently the copyright was not renewed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: November 18, 2017, 04:15:49 am »

If you tell someone the colour of their dyed hair resembles mould, does that count as a compliment?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: November 18, 2017, 04:38:30 am »

No

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: November 18, 2017, 12:30:39 pm »

If you tell someone the colour of their dyed hair resembles mould, does that count as a compliment?
Depends on whether or not they're a fun gi.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:33 pm »

What's the nerdy, scientific way "fire colour change"?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: November 19, 2017, 08:51:44 pm »

Delta pretty shiny?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:13 pm »

What's the nerdy, scientific way "fire colour change"?

"A visible change in the emission spectrum"? You could come up with a more sophisticated turn of phrase if you were to dig in more into atomic emission spectral analysis initialised by the flame.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:47 am »

What is a good website where I can see statistics on how many copies of a game were sold overall? SteamSpy is out of option, because I need the whole sales data, including consoles. It would be also good if the site has an option of filtering the amount of sold copies by the years/months/days/ and "How well the game A was sold in the country B".
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: November 21, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »

Apple's developer rules for the app store state that your app's payment plan should be clear, the rules being designed to make sure developers are going through apple rather than using their own payment systems.  But can people put up apps that just don't make money at all?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 649