Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687666 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3945 on: August 11, 2017, 04:16:47 am »

My ideal plot would basically be training day (spoilers ahead!) with the roles reversed. Young idealistic superman showing the old cool Zod around Metropolis, superman trying to impress and walking him through his powers. As the movie goes on we clock that Zod know's more then he's letting on, and when he gets the powers he should act like he's high with it. The mystery is what Zod's planning.

I'm still missing the motivation though.

Power for power's sake is a thing though. Else, why would so many Roman have schemed their way to the Imperial throne, knowing that the average lifespan of a third century Emperor was two years?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: August 11, 2017, 08:11:30 am »

I mean what else are they going to do? Ancient times were so boring some dude in yellow robes thought it would be better to just cease to exist. You might as well die spectacularly after backstabbing all your friends.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: August 17, 2017, 02:36:09 am »

My ideal plot would basically be training day (spoilers ahead!) with the roles reversed. Young idealistic superman showing the old cool Zod around Metropolis, superman trying to impress and walking him through his powers. As the movie goes on we clock that Zod know's more then he's letting on, and when he gets the powers he should act like he's high with it. The mystery is what Zod's planning.

I'm still missing the motivation though.

Power for power's sake is a thing though. Else, why would so many Roman have schemed their way to the Imperial throne, knowing that the average lifespan of a third century Emperor was two years?
You don't understand Sheb, all those other guys were idiots.  I'm the one that's going to make it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: August 18, 2017, 06:05:35 pm »

If the origin of the term "trolling" in terms of the internet came from a fishing technique, doesn't that mean that a person who trolls on the internet is not a "troll", but a "troller"?
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3949 on: August 18, 2017, 06:09:06 pm »

Where can I learn about the proliferation of nuclear weapons to China in the 60s?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: August 19, 2017, 06:58:06 am »

How do social insects determine which caste they'll develop into (Soldier, Worker, Queen, Other more specialized tasks)?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: August 19, 2017, 07:16:45 am »

How do social insects determine which caste they'll develop into (Soldier, Worker, Queen, Other more specialized tasks)?

Can't speak for all insects, but AFAIK it's the food they're given. For bees for exemple, larvae fed royal jelly will develop into queens.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: August 19, 2017, 07:17:32 am »

According to the newest information it is Genetics, the different castes differ genetically. (The exact mechanisms are... immense)

Though it should be said that even Soldiers, while specialized, still act like workers. So some of the castes are not as stringent as their titles seem.

Honeypot ants have an exception in that one "caste" is created by feeding a worker until their bodies change...

Finally males are created through an entirely different process involving unfertilized eggs (Yes, a species where unfertilized eggs hatch)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:21:29 am by Neonivek »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: August 19, 2017, 01:07:52 pm »

Where can I learn about the proliferation of nuclear weapons to China in the 60s?
I'd start with a book about the Sino-Soviet split, or maybe a general book on the history of Communism in East Asia. From there on out, use the references given.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: August 19, 2017, 01:44:05 pm »

If my high school history doesn't fail me, Sino-Soviet relations actually weren't all that great in the 60's. Apparently the communist party of China wasn't stoked about the bashing of Stalin's personality cult and some degree of condemnation of his policies by Khruschev.

EDIT: I now understand that this probably had nothing to do with the question. Just consider this a snippet of unnecessary trivia.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:45:59 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: August 19, 2017, 01:52:29 pm »

It is fascinating to me how drastically the realignment of China ended up shaping modern geopolitics. Let alone that it may well have lost the Cold War for the USSR, it created what evolved into the center of global trade and pretty much all of China's current power. China was important before the 80s, but not like it is now. It's unfathomable how much material was moved to create all of this, all ultimately because Mao decided to go with the devil he knew in Nixon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: August 19, 2017, 03:01:33 pm »

If my high school history doesn't fail me, Sino-Soviet relations actually weren't all that great in the 60's. Apparently the communist party of China wasn't stoked about the bashing of Stalin's personality cult and some degree of condemnation of his policies by Khruschev.
IIRC China developed nuclear weapons before that though, and with Soviet help. Maybe the time given in the original question was off.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: August 21, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »

According to the newest information it is Genetics, the different castes differ genetically. (The exact mechanisms are... immense)

Though it should be said that even Soldiers, while specialized, still act like workers. So some of the castes are not as stringent as their titles seem.

Do you have any source for that?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:32:20 pm by Sheb »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: August 21, 2017, 02:28:57 pm »

Ye gods, Sheb.

You can't just ask to see a man's source.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: August 21, 2017, 05:09:02 pm »

It technically is genetic. All ants in a colony have the same genome, it's just regulated expression that differentiates minims from minors from mediae from soldiers and so on. This paper talks about the mechanisms for regulating caste in honeybees, but as it notes the final determinant is the amount and type of food given to the bee during its larval stage, and the mechanism is the same in ants and termites. The second paper talks about genetic differences in eggs in a leafcutter ant colony fertilized using sperm from different males, and how it seems that workers of different genetic lineages contribute different proportions of the various subtypes of worker.

https://bmcdevbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-213X-7-70
http://www.pnas.org/content/100/16/9394.full
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 637