Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 895893 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3930 on: August 08, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »

So let's say I hate myself, my life, and existence, and want to look at correlations between county level population migration, government spending (preferably in regards to specific sorts, such as infrastructure, utilities, etc.), and economic shifts in the USA over time. Last three decades or so, more is great, less is fine.

Anyone just happen to miraculously know something on the net that's already set up to do that, where the prospect doesn't include functionally creating a searchable new database via stitching together census data by hand?

'Cause curiosity's starting to hit me, it's not the healthy sort, and I'm having it confirmed that no one fucking cares about rural areas in this country, to the point no one seems to have a goddamn clue what's happening on a level below state and no one's gotten around to making any sort of dataset amiable to that kind of crosschecking. And I'd really like to find out I just missed 2017's candidate for the patron saint of statistics, rather than them not having incarnated yet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:47:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: August 09, 2017, 07:40:45 am »

I've heard that sticking things in your pocket is a thing that small male children do.

While I am sure children do this in general. Is this a male trait or is this just a stereotype?

This question isn't loaded. I am just skeptical of it being gendered... at the same time "I" did it when I was that age too... and I am a gender.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:45:10 am by Neonivek »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: August 09, 2017, 10:20:40 am »

I've heard that sticking things in your pocket is a thing that small male children do.

While I am sure children do this in general. Is this a male trait or is this just a stereotype?

This question isn't loaded. I am just skeptical of it being gendered... at the same time "I" did it when I was that age too... and I am a gender.

I think little boys more often have pockets than little girls. Most young girl dresses and such lack pockets. I think this may influence the perception.

Also people around you say the strangest shit.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: August 09, 2017, 02:00:01 pm »

Given there's a Bay12 thread for it, I think Neo just have a kook magnet,
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: August 10, 2017, 02:41:13 pm »

What would be a good motivation for Zod in Man of steel?

Throw out the genetics bullshit, ruling the world is unnecessary and terraforming it much more so. Can you stay true to the character while giving him a motivation that makes sense?

Far as i know that boils down to being a touch fascist and nostalgic.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: August 10, 2017, 03:02:10 pm »

Zod and Jor-El were in agreement on one point: The Kryptonian regime's purpose-cloning was wrong. Now, Zod thought that the mighty ought to rule and Jor-El just sort of wanted them to reproduce like sane people and go back to space travel, but there is a commonality.

Hence, Zod should want to use Earth to restore the Kryptonian species, but believe human self-determination is a danger to both species. You could even have him be non-hostile during the first half of the film, trying to stay hidden since he doesn't know what a yellow star will do to his crew yet. He finds out about the two Kryptonian wrecks on Earth and investigates, discovering Kal-El. He initially believes Kal-El is a unique case and tries to convince him to rule the world for its own benefit, and offers to help him. Superman's refusal eventually leads to conflict as Zod increases his moves to disable human governments, and Zod's suit is damaged. Cue discovering they can all be God-Kings and making the attempt on conquest seen in the film, maybe add some human quislings who agree that Zod should rule.

Man of Steel is near-unfixable, but that's better than what Snyder gave us.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: August 10, 2017, 03:59:10 pm »

That's the thing. You need him to be fascist, but he's got no reason to "conquer" the world. By existing they are automatically the de facto rulers, and all the perks of rule like fame, money etc he either already has or automatically go to him thanks to his superpowers.
Reading a thinner book

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: August 10, 2017, 04:03:48 pm »

He doesn't know he has superpowers until there's a suit breach, and Superman violently opposes him.

You could have them hit the spaceship carrying all the Kryptonian embryos with a nuke or something, those aren't invulnerable and it'd make Zod panic and go heavy-handed with the need to make the world bow before him (see, because in the old movie he...says....yeah...).
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: August 10, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »

Zod is meant to be a counterpoint to Superman so to speak.

Superman when he discovers his powers uses them to help people.

Zod when he discovers his powers uses them to subjugate people.

Superman is the "Man of Tommorow" a sort of optimistic look to a future, so Zod would also be a bleak look to a future.

The way to do a good Zod, might be less to deal with his motivation but more to deal with the direct result of it. Just have Zod win and use his technology to turn the US into a police state. Show how absolutely bleak things are and how even the smallest modicrum of resistance is stomped out... Even make the weather bleak. Wait, is that a bird? Its a place... No its SUPERMAN!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: August 10, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »

There's not really any reason why Zod would be able to act without Superman stopping him.

You could have Zod and Kal-El arrive on Earth at the same time, the Kents sheltering him to one day be the savior, but by that point you've completely diverged the entire world. Wouldn't work for a franchise film like Man of Steel.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: August 10, 2017, 04:25:10 pm »

There's not really any reason why Zod would be able to act without Superman stopping him.

He could have beaten Superman... Superman could be crippled by the challenge and not act (Hey... They are pushing that grit... might as well)

Superman in that movie spent years doing absolutely nothing while murders happened. Have Zod come during his Hobo years.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:27:47 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: August 10, 2017, 04:29:50 pm »

I cannot think of anything less Superman than Clark Kent in a ragged coat in dystopian Metropolis telling the plucky character "There ain't a Superman anymore kid, buzz off and leave me be".

Even "Superman turns evil" stories are more Superman than that.

Therefore, it's probably exactly what the studio execs wanted.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: August 10, 2017, 05:30:34 pm »

My ideal plot would basically be training day (spoilers ahead!) with the roles reversed. Young idealistic superman showing the old cool Zod around Metropolis, superman trying to impress and walking him through his powers. As the movie goes on we clock that Zod know's more then he's letting on, and when he gets the powers he should act like he's high with it. The mystery is what Zod's planning.

I'm still missing the motivation though.
Reading a thinner book

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: August 10, 2017, 05:32:08 pm »

Motivation isn't THAT important as silly as that sounds.

Zod wants power and believes that a totalitarian regime is the best use of power.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: August 11, 2017, 04:15:17 am »

You're asking for motivation from a guy named Zod.

That's like trying to make Zeeblflarx the Conqueror a sympathetic villain.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 649