Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 895674 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3780 on: June 04, 2017, 04:59:15 pm »

Probably could manage something with less murder and more bribing medical researchers, really. Good odds someone out there that could make use of a pianist willing to have an artificial finger grafted into their nervous system, particularly if they have enough money to be convinced for a runaround of the ethics board.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: June 04, 2017, 06:04:12 pm »

Nope, all of those things form on the correct template, at least for that form of polydactally. I'm sure there are others which are more troublesome, but the version generally talked about is six fingers, and that one works. I don't know the genetics, but I suspect there's a certain carry-over for things like this. Does your body have individual genes for each and every bone & tendon structure of your ten fingers, or does it rely on an underlying genetic principle that tells the body to form tendons and bones in the hand where a finger is meant to grow? The latter is probably a lot more fail-proof, and so I'd guess evolution favors it.

Fingers are kind of anatomically isolated. You can test this yourself by seeing how movements of single fingers or parts of the hand alone affect the rest. They get moved some on the tendons, but it's not a great dependency.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:06:33 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: June 04, 2017, 06:15:43 pm »

The main reason it does not spread, is because of sexual selection. Many people consider it a deformity, and so, preferentially choose mates without the extra digits.

However, in areas where mate selection has historically been, or are still, depressed due to scarcity, such as the mountains between France and Spain, 6 fingered people are the norm. Cant find a source on that though. Just what I have heard.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: June 04, 2017, 06:58:13 pm »

However, in areas where mate selection has historically been, or are still, depressed due to scarcity, such as the mountains between France and Spain, 6 fingered people are the norm. Cant find a source on that though. Just what I have heard.

Ehh, I'm unaware of the exact epidemiological data for said regions, but I'm certain it's not 'the norm'.

Btw: one thing I do recall (and was being discussed earlier) is that most supernumerary digits are rudimentary rather than notmal, functional digits.  The latter are uncommon, afaik.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: June 04, 2017, 07:06:31 pm »

Ehh, I'm unaware of the exact epidemiological data for said regions, but I'm certain it's not 'the norm'.
I can confirm.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: June 05, 2017, 05:12:02 pm »

On a scale of 1 to "changing the Pringles formula", how bad of an idea is getting an airport burrito before my flight? 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: June 05, 2017, 05:17:46 pm »

Eh, three or four, probably? From what I recall they're not as bad as they used to be, quality wise. Depends on where it's coming from, though. Like, vending machine (6-7) is not taco bell (5-8) is not actual restaurant (1-3), etc. If all else's fails, there's always the in-flight and the lamentations of fellow passengers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:19:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: June 05, 2017, 05:34:19 pm »

Yeah, I believe this place is an actual restaurant chain, just not one I've tried.
Not really hungry but I have a while
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: June 05, 2017, 05:37:32 pm »

Actual chain should be fine, yeah. Still, you got net access, maybe search 'em up and see what the general opinion is?
Ask not!
Ask!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: June 05, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »

Well. How can my new baby die in it's first year? Top five causes please. Morbid question, I apologize. But it's relevant.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: June 06, 2017, 07:51:36 am »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: June 06, 2017, 08:04:56 am »

A friend of my wife's just lost one of her twins to illness in a few hours. It was crazy fast :/
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: June 06, 2017, 09:05:47 am »

Hypothetically.
If your wife is cheating on you would you want to know?
You have a young child together, she in love with the person shes cheating on you with.
You dont know anything.
Would you want to know?
Or is it better to not
××××××××××××××××××

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: June 06, 2017, 12:08:41 pm »

It's better to know. The person you are with has revealed a deep character flaw and lack of commitment. If she feels she has to stab you in the back in such a way, you'd want to know so you could leave her like the plague ship she is.

Hypothetically, of course.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 649