Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 895704 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3765 on: June 02, 2017, 04:45:20 am »

Remember that when you look at a dog you're seeing a mutant wolf. This is why I prefer the bigger dogs, they just look a little bit floppier, not insanely proportioned for their species.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3766 on: June 02, 2017, 07:51:35 pm »

Does anyone know where this style of digital(?) sketching comes from and why it's so popular? There are many artists who make sketches using a similar style.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: June 02, 2017, 08:48:51 pm »

... other than anime in general? I don't particularly know, but if I had to wager a guess it would be starting resources for just that. Looks about in line with a higher quality example of some of the end results of those "how to draw anime" books that have littered shelves for a while (like, since the 90s or something) now.

Which would be both where it came from and why it's so popular, if that guess is correct; helluva' lot of artists faffing about nowadays cut their teeth on stuff like that, or were involved to some degree with someone who did. Those sort of instruction/intro books have pretty easily been one of the easier to find and engage with resources for a beginning artist you could just sorta' casually pick up -- and they've been that for a good chunk of a lot of artists entire lives, nowadays. Given that, it's pretty unsurprising it'd be common.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3768 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:56 pm »

No no no, by "style" I mean the kraft paper background, black india ink lines, and pure white highlights and outline. These exact things together I've seen from a lot of different artists.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: June 02, 2017, 09:30:39 pm »

Oooh.

... common/easy to use effects in major photo editing software? Could swear there's some mimicry there of old stuff, too, actually. Just hit me that sort of general color scheme was fairly signature of, like... old autographed disney art and crap, if I'm not completely misremembering things.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: June 02, 2017, 10:28:38 pm »

Could just be a background and special brush types, if its a digital-only thing maybe.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3771 on: June 02, 2017, 10:29:55 pm »

Right, and that's why I'm wondering where people got this from, because it's a very specific thing and yet it's fairly widespread.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: June 02, 2017, 10:35:24 pm »

For what it's worth, poking around a bit suggests it might just be something like convergent evolution. Not necessarily a specific style or something, but more a set of colors and highlights and whatnot folks just tend to end up using. Contrasty things et al. The browning seems to be largely just an antique filter/aging effect, which is mostly just a stylistic flourish, or an artifact of common drawing paper, with the rest (dark lines, white outline) falling out of it more or less organically just 'cause it's good complimentin'. Ultimately not much more meaningful than sketches usually using a white background and dark lines made with pen or pencil.

E: All that said, totes could just email/message/whatever an artist that uses the pattern and ask 'em. If I'd noticed the question a bit earlier I would have just asked mi madre, heh.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:41:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3773 on: June 03, 2017, 12:57:22 am »

I don't think that is digital. Looks like pencil lineart gone over with a marker (or maybe a brushpen, but it's signed in marker) and highlights in chalk or white ink, and then photographed, not scanned.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: June 03, 2017, 04:06:51 am »

To me the image is physical. I would guess the brown paper is used so the white highlighting can be done (possibly with liquid whiteout) with a sketch in light brown and fineliner for line work. The coarse paper would also give more texture to the image without much need fo extra shading as well as giving a rougher surface for the fineliner ink to absorb into.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3775 on: June 03, 2017, 10:25:58 am »

AFAIK Kraft paper is smooth, but I've never used it before. "Rough" instinctively makes me cringe though and I imagine frayed fabric pen tips and metal quills skipping over the paper and leaving incomplete lines... That's just my instinctive reaction though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: June 03, 2017, 10:32:21 am »

Nah, pretty sure that stuff's kinda'... canvas-y, iirc. Not (nearly) that far, but sort of in that direction. That type of rough. Stiffer than your average paper, also usable for foldystuff. Rougher, not necessarily rough. Something like that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: June 03, 2017, 10:36:09 pm »

AFAIK Kraft paper is smooth, but I've never used it before. "Rough" instinctively makes me cringe though and I imagine frayed fabric pen tips and metal quills skipping over the paper and leaving incomplete lines... That's just my instinctive reaction though.

You can see some gaps in the linework on the lower, inner edge of the left wing as well as the outer thigh, above the knee on the right leg and the inner line of the right wing. Certainly it has been gone over a few times to get solid lines.
The paper to me looks about as rough as a piece of cardboard, maybe a bit less.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: June 04, 2017, 04:52:52 pm »

Polydactyl fingers are typically fully functional, aside from the social and design difficulties it causes. The six fingers version is also a dominant gene, so it'll grow in commonality as time passes. They mostly amputate them for convention's sake.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: June 04, 2017, 04:54:44 pm »

I know many a concert pianist who'd be horrified at the thought of getting rid of an extra, fully functional digit. In fact, they'd commit murder if they could get one.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 649