Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687539 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3420 on: February 20, 2017, 07:20:17 pm »

Ok difficult question time! since this is an esoteric term!

So... Lets say that the Post-Modern genre of books was invented or came about in 1860.

However, there exists a post-modern book in the 1600s!

What is the term for that 1600s book? It isn't Pioneer... it is something else...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: February 20, 2017, 07:27:33 pm »

It's 'ahead of its time'.

The painter El Greco is a great example of this. Google a couple pictures or go to an exhibit, it's really worth the time.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3422 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:50 pm »

Can anyone recommend a good client for aggregating multiple email accounts? I have a growing number of accounts I regularly check and it's pushing my browser's RAM usage through the roof (60-150M per tab!!!).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: February 25, 2017, 02:35:40 pm »

Don't know one off the top of my head, but from what I recall most email accounts have some sort of option to redirect/forward their stuff to another account. Could potentially fiddle with that and have it all sent to a sort of omniaccount. Probably the least potentially sketchy option, t'boot. Pretty such most major email programs (outlook, etc.) have some sort of functionality along those lines, too. POP forwarding or somethin' like that. Been like a decade since the last time I had reason to bother with it.

Quick check around pulled up the names mercurymail and zoe, though. Haven't used them, nor looked beyond cursory search in passing regarding quality et al, but they might be worth checking.

... that said, that's a vaguely silly amount of memory per tab, and I say that as someone that regularly has a couple hundred tabs open. Maybe consider just using a different browser specifically for the email checking? Or kicking on various only-use-html options email providers tend to have for older computer/slower connection folks. Might help if you haven't already gotten around to trying it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:37:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: February 25, 2017, 03:30:00 pm »

Yeah.  Forwards and send-ases.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: February 25, 2017, 04:50:14 pm »

Can anyone recommend a good client for aggregating multiple email accounts? I have a growing number of accounts I regularly check and it's pushing my browser's RAM usage through the roof (60-150M per tab!!!).
Desktop client or mobile?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3426 on: February 25, 2017, 09:03:11 pm »

Desktop client or mobile?
Desktop.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: February 25, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »

I use Thunderbird for that
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: February 25, 2017, 09:08:19 pm »

On my browser (Firefox) I use Xnotifier extension. It tells me when any of my accounts have a new email so, i don't have to open them normally.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3429 on: February 26, 2017, 10:51:57 pm »

I started using Thunderbird. It's helped a lot with my RAM woes, and as a bonus it makes my browser less cluttered! It works great. Thanks for the suggestions.

New question: anyone want to suggest a pair of desktop backgrounds that would complement each other? My screens are 1920x1080. Any theme will do.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: February 27, 2017, 12:19:27 am »

something something video game screenshots? My desktop background has been a blown up screenie from legend of mana for like... three or four years. Maybe longer. Pixilated as all hell even compared to the original in-game spritework but it doesn't really bother me so *shrugs*

Also there's always zaku. There's some pretty neat wallpaper type stuff involving zakus, iirc.

Depends on what you like to look at, really. Or if you're not like me and ever actually see your desktop for more than a few seconds. If you never really see the desktop backgrounds it starts to matter less.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:21:19 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: February 27, 2017, 11:54:19 am »

a² = b² doesn't imply a = b, but only a = ±b.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: February 27, 2017, 12:19:37 pm »

a² = b² doesn't imply a = b, but only a = ±b.

You can't just take the square root, in other words.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: February 27, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »

Yep.  And in that second part, the
(-1)^2 = -1
is just wrong, it's 1.  Just like (1)^2 = 1, hence the ambiguity when taking square roots.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 637