Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 870821 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3300 on: January 25, 2017, 06:52:51 am »

Are there actually people in Canada who have French as a first language, speaking/writing it noticeably better than English?   

Yeah, the people from Qebec, why? Although ofc, they all speak pretty good English after school. Also they got an hilarious accent in French.
Not all of them speak well in english even actually. French is the only official language of Quebec. Even eastern Ontario has a fair amount of people who don't speak particularly strong English. Also, many who do speak English well in Quebec will deny it until they get frustrated with your massacring of their language...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: January 25, 2017, 08:22:28 am »

Yeah, the people from Qebec, why?
Earlier I was just reading social media posts from a French-Canadian band, and was surprised to see their posts in English were rather, well, Engrish.
I always thought even the most outrageously French of French-Canadians still spoke English first and foremost. Crazy stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: January 25, 2017, 09:20:25 pm »

Are Komodo Dragons Venomous?

I remember that for the longest time the belief was that they had such a infectious bite that they could kill you simply through that... I also remember not only a science documentary getting a sample and finding that a human bite was more bio hazardous but didn't know why.

Then I heard/read that the whole infection thing is a myth and that Komodo dragons actually ARE venomous.

Yet articles are still being pumped out that push the whole infection thing.

Ps. Yes Human bites are probably one of the more infectious bites in the animal kingdom. At least more so then dogs, cats, and most everyday animals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: January 25, 2017, 09:34:12 pm »

The answer is basically "we're not sure, but mostly neither". They don't have particularly infectious saliva, and while glands are found in their jaws the exact function isn't clear. Given how small their range is, it's not a major focus.

The truth is that having a giant chunk of flesh ripped out by a lizard is plenty fatal on its own.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: January 29, 2017, 12:47:30 am »

Why do pants that don't have a zipper still have a flap sewn as if they did?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: January 29, 2017, 12:51:04 am »

Does anybody remember Age of Ultron? Remember Iron Man's repeating punch-fist thing that was essentially a piston attached to his hand?

If that device could exist and you could wield one without destroying your arm, how would it work?
snip

Also I found something for this, somebody made a real life power fist. The construction videos suck and don't actually explain anything about how it works, but it looks like it uses gas pressure to force a big piece of metal out along with your actual punching force. He didn't test it very comprehensively, but it broke some concrete blocks.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3306 on: January 29, 2017, 12:52:35 am »

Why do pants that don't have a zipper still have a flap sewn as if they did?

Stylistic convention. There has to be a seam there anyway.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: January 29, 2017, 12:58:16 am »

It's probably convention for women, but if you've got junk there then the seam provides necessary shape, especially if the material is a more inflexible one like denim. If you get pants tailored and are in possession of a penis, they'll ask you "which way you dress" i.e. which direction your penis normally falls in, because well-tailored pants will have slightly more slack on that side.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3308 on: January 29, 2017, 02:20:35 am »

Does anybody remember Age of Ultron? Remember Iron Man's repeating punch-fist thing that was essentially a piston attached to his hand?

If that device could exist and you could wield one without destroying your arm, how would it work?
Use springs to exert force that wants to keep the fist retracted. Load ejecting explosive cartridges into a breech behind the fist and set them off with a self-arming hammer mechanism as in an automatic firearm. Pull the trigger, hammer sets off cartridge, expanding gas pushes the fist forward, springs are compressed and push the fist back. Hold down the trigger for rapid fire, powerful punches. To avoid recoil being transmitted straight into your arm either have the fist attached to something more durable than your arm, like a powered exoskeleton, or use gas diverting techniques to dampen the recoil enough so it's tolerable. The fist would probably tend to yank you forwards if you fail to connect with your target, or the target is very fragile.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:23:23 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: January 30, 2017, 12:06:41 am »

Has anybody tried to make something like the Aarne-Thompson classification system for memes?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: January 30, 2017, 12:38:14 am »

Uh. Considering the aarne-thompson classification system is classifying memes...

... as a more general thing, not that I've heard of. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in academia has tried, though, probably in some kind of meta-literature/communication/etc. program (study of the study itself and how it's organized, rather than whatever the field is focused on), at least assuming I'm not misremembering the correct prefix for that sort of thing (which is entirely possible, mind you). The more public/casual attempt would probably be projects like TVTropes and the few other sites of similar nature.

The problem with making one that covers memetics as a whole is that at the core of them memes are incredibly broad -- they're basically just concepts related to communication and media that have been identified as sufficiently discrete to stand on their own in some way or another and to varying degrees. Modern discussion, particularly casual discussion, is largely focused on internet centered stuff, but memes are a lot older than the internet, we've just started using the terminology relatively recently (inspired by attempts to apply concepts related to genetics to human communication, near as I can recall). Generally you have attempts to classify a subset (such as folklore, yes) instead of all of it in one go, because all of it in one go would be trying to make a classification system for pretty much the entire spectrum of human communication. Which, uh. Is a little daunting, ehehe.

People have been working at it but they tend to break things up, and by the time someone's done(ish) with one thing they're usually too old or invested to go back to trying to integrate what they've done with everything else, and probably either them or their colleagues are highly resistant towards letting the field of study they've developed get folded back into some other one. All of which makes integrating everything... slow. Given the time frames involved (we've only really been doing this sort of thing for a century or three), it's almost certainly going to be a while before you see a full framework of some sort starting to be pieced together. In the mean time, you'll just want to identify specific field equivalents and peruse as appropriate, if you're looking for that sort of classification system.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: February 01, 2017, 03:54:45 am »

Alright because I am the easiest person to answer

In parenting is there a concept behind threatening your child with punishment too much?

As in... You get them a game, they like the game... So you use the game as blackmail all the time.

My brother had that happen to him as a child and his defense mechanism was simple... He ended up hating whatever it was. Which is something he does to this day in different ways.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: February 01, 2017, 06:06:26 am »

I mean, your brother's defense mechanism sounds like textbook sour grapes to me. I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the actual question, though, are you asking about terminology?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: February 01, 2017, 06:12:59 am »

I mean, your brother's defense mechanism sounds like textbook sour grapes to me. I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the actual question, though, are you asking about terminology?

Yes.

And not sour grapes... He doesn't actually lose it and go "Well I didn't like it anyway"... If you go "Well If you keep misbehaving I'll take away your baseball bat" eventually leads to him not liking the baseball bat at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: February 02, 2017, 06:09:07 pm »

Is it true that Human meat tastes bad not only to us (which is more of a defense mechanism) but other animals as well?

And if so why?

Also yes some humans (typically psychotics) like the taste of humans (though their description of the taste is... weird...). Though most "Religious" Cannibals (ones who are cannibals for religious reasons) find the taste pretty bad.

Edit: Nevermind, the taste is... Really oddly mixed. I get a lot of reports that it tastes inherently bad, and others that it tastes good but in different ways... and some that creepishly describe how good it is in that it is basically a high-class meat if it ever caught on.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:15:21 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 648