Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687477 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3090 on: December 13, 2016, 12:11:50 pm »

Just what I was looking for, thanks! (Oh hey I know what cron is and I didn't have to look it up! Thanks Linux certification!)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: December 13, 2016, 12:22:51 pm »

Honestly cron might be overengineering the problem, you could just have a script that sleeps for a day (or whatever) then sends the mass-email.  To "check in", you kill the script then relaunch it.  Very simple.

Also uh, good luck to you.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3092 on: December 13, 2016, 12:33:49 pm »

Oh I don't have any reason to think I'm gonna die or anything, it was just a random thought. Thank you for the well wishes though.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: December 13, 2016, 01:08:51 pm »

I'd say its pretty comfortable (not the being fully clothed part, thats much too hot to sleep in) unless its winter around here, I've got a comfy blanket that is only occasionally too hot. Too cold during the winter without turning the heat up tho, and then other people are too hot and eh, too much work.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:20:12 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3094 on: December 13, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »

As someone who sleeps without clothes... I am surprised... Is there something that clothes supply?

Yes I have TWO questions... I am just crazy that way...
I live in a place that's hot most of the year, so instead of investing in heavy sheets we'll only use one month out of the year, in my family we just sleep in a sweater. Also, I'm more likely to get out of bed when it's cold if I'm already wearing warm clothes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: December 13, 2016, 04:16:28 pm »

How do I approve of a Youtube ad?

Yes yes, I have adblock disabled on Youtube.  I just saw an ad I really like a lot, and I'm leaving it paused.  Is there a way to show I really like it?  Beyond letting it play to 15/30 seconds, which counts for a lot I think.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3096 on: December 13, 2016, 04:56:49 pm »

How do I approve of a Youtube ad?

Yes yes, I have adblock disabled on Youtube.  I just saw an ad I really like a lot, and I'm leaving it paused.  Is there a way to show I really like it?  Beyond letting it play to 15/30 seconds, which counts for a lot I think.
Click the ad. Clicks are worth more than just letting it play. And yeah, disable adblock on YouTube when you're watching people whose content you like so they can actually earn money.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: December 13, 2016, 05:08:34 pm »

Or watch it on tablet where there is not an adblock anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »

A lot of ads provide a graphical link-ad in the top-right which I can click on.  This ad doesn't, and it (and all, AFAIK) doesn't go anywhere by clicking it.

I guess I gots to google it.  Sorry... Google, you won't get a link from your video to the cool site you're advertising.
Except I am always logged in to Google and *everyone* uses Google Adsense or whatever.
It all works out.
Trust the Omnissiah~
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: December 13, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »

I usually see a link labeled "advertizer website" or somesuch in the lower left of the video window.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: December 14, 2016, 09:18:46 pm »

In terms of free antivirus, you want to go with malwarebytes. The only functions that are disabled during free mode are automatic scan and the active firewall.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:23 pm »

From what I've read several times though, you still want an antivirus because Malwarebytes is designed to deal with malware, not viruses?

That was a few years back though, so I suppose it's possible they've diversified.
Malwarebytes is anti-malware, you need a different product for viruses.  Windows Defender is apparently good enough these days though.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: December 14, 2016, 10:32:59 pm »

On the outside edges you can see numbers that indicate longitude and latitude. The circles must be reference points for navigating seeing that the lines connect directly to coordinate numbers in places, the geometric (if you connect the circles from their centers as if to form edges you'd see it forms a kite shape) way in which they are arranged, and how they are strategically placed on featureless open sea. Perhaps the enclosures the lines form are sectors for reference. The three circles that are placed out on the ocean seem to be placed in such a way as to keep the sectors of relatively the same size for as far out to sea as possible within the context of the map.
I see. Thanks!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: December 14, 2016, 10:36:54 pm »

How do I stop Cortana running on startup?

I noticed that Cortana is a separate program (so I'm able to close the process (and keep the search bar)), but in spite of my searching, I've yet to find any way to stop Cortana being turned on at startup. I recall while I was trying to get my computer to update I came across something that allowed you to prevent even Microsoft programs running on startup, but I can't recall how to do it and I can't find the webpage that told me how.

EDIT: Can someone also point me to a free antivirus? I tried Avira but it seems they've decided to add some other programs to it, rather than just the antivirus (such as a VPN... thing and a thing that supposedly improves system speed (personal experience says otherwise with these things))

You can go into the settings or control panels and turn off cortana. I would not recommend trying to do it manually. (When cortana dies on me, disappearing from the list of processes, I can no longer search the start menu by typing stuff)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: December 14, 2016, 11:03:44 pm »

How do I stop Cortana running on startup?

I noticed that Cortana is a separate program (so I'm able to close the process (and keep the search bar)), but in spite of my searching, I've yet to find any way to stop Cortana being turned on at startup. I recall while I was trying to get my computer to update I came across something that allowed you to prevent even Microsoft programs running on startup, but I can't recall how to do it and I can't find the webpage that told me how.

EDIT: Can someone also point me to a free antivirus? I tried Avira but it seems they've decided to add some other programs to it, rather than just the antivirus (such as a VPN... thing and a thing that supposedly improves system speed (personal experience says otherwise with these things))

You can go into the settings or control panels and turn off cortana. I would not recommend trying to do it manually. (When cortana dies on me, disappearing from the list of processes, I can no longer search the start menu by typing stuff)

Not any more you can't. They changed that in an update, it's always-on now. The best you can do is disabling all the info-gathering, services, and functions, but the process will still run, still eat up resources, and probably still spy on you. Even the regedit that I used before doesn't work now, apparently. If you're not using the Home version I think you can still make her fuck off with group settings but that's about it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 637