Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687729 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2295 on: April 18, 2016, 03:37:16 am »

There are three branches of government in the US. Executive, Judicial and Legislative.
The President is the Executive branch, which enforces laws. He also sets policy, negotiates with foreign leaders, and nominates justices to the Supreme Court. If Congress blocks the President, then it means that our system of checks and balances, made to prevent one branch of government from growing too large, is working. It would certainly hurt the President's agenda.
The Supreme Court is the Judicial branch, which interprets the law, often as according to the constitution. This means that they get to say what the law can and cannot do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: April 18, 2016, 05:58:32 am »

So, in the States, its apparently customary to keep referring to people by their former title, at least for government officials (See everyone calling Hillary "Madam Secretary"). What are the rules for which title to use? The highest one (No one refers to Hillary as "Madam Senator")? What defines the precedence if someone was, say, a Governor and a Senator?

Also, how far down does this practice go? I expect you won't see someone being called "Mister Water Commissioner" for the rest of his life he he was elected once.
I think it's elected federal positions and maybe governors but not so much?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:02:37 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 18, 2016, 08:03:17 am »

Something like that. You generally don't see more local stuff used for very long after leaving the position unless the person in question held it for a long time. One time sheriff or whatev' probably won't be called the title afterwards, one that had held the position for thirty or forty years is fairly likely to, if only among the people of the area they presided over, as an example.

Far as I'm aware, though, there's just not a consistent rule for (most of) it. Mostly just a function of notability, if anything, and quite possibly setting (region, venue, etc., etc.) to some extent.

Basically, if you're actually looking for something particularly coherent and regular, you're looking at the wrong country.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 18, 2016, 08:04:20 am »

Yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 18, 2016, 02:24:44 pm »

There are three branches of government in the US. Executive, Judicial and Legislative.
The President is the Executive branch, which enforces laws. He also sets policy, negotiates with foreign leaders, and nominates justices to the Supreme Court. If Congress blocks the President, then it means that our system of checks and balances, made to prevent one branch of government from growing too large, is working. It would certainly hurt the President's agenda.
The Supreme Court is the Judicial branch, which interprets the law, often as according to the constitution. This means that they get to say what the law can and cannot do.
Some further expansions on this:
1) The President is as much a symbol as a political figure. He essentially represents the US to the world (and to the average citizen) so he plays a very large part in politics by sheer virtue of the political capital that the position gives him (even in dealing with things he doesn't have too much official power over).
2) The President's ability to "set policy" amplifies the fact that he has a lot of political capital to spend to push the laws that he wants. Often even if he has an opposing congress he's still able to get at least part of what he wants pushed through (a recent example of this is Obamacare). Of course there's no guarantee that the part will still function as it was intended to do within the whole afterwards (also see Obamacare). So yes, the president can be blocked by congress, but he's still got a lot of pushback against them if he needs to (though it will cost him tons of political capital to do so).
3) The Supreme Court is, well, they're judges on a national scale. Cases that deal with federal law can "appeal" to the Supreme Court which can, should they chose to do so, take up the case. If they do then they get to decide how the case falls based on the current laws passed (which includes the US Constitution). If multiple laws conflict (including those laid out in very general terms, like "Secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity") then they get to decide which one trumps the other, and whatever they do sets a very strong precedent for further court cases, to such a point that only another decision by the Supreme Court can counteract what they did before. This mean that if they deem a law to be counter to the principles laid down in the Constitution they can strike it down as "Unconstitutional", which essentially nullifies it (and any similar laws like it on a national scale) for all time unless the Court makes another ruling later on the subject.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 19, 2016, 07:55:53 am »

Seeing as there's no online question answer threads on this, is there any way to soundproof a sledgehammer?  So when I hit it on say, a tire, it doesn't make much noise?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:07 pm »

Seeing as there's no online question answer threads on this, is there any way to soundproof a sledgehammer?  So when I hit it on say, a tire, it doesn't make much noise?
The basic methods to cut down on noise from hammering are:
1) Place whatever you are hitting on a pad or foam material to absorb sound vibrations and stop ringing.
2) Cover your hammer or target in a thin layer of something sound-absorbent (note that this material will get torn up pretty quickly depending on what you are hitting and will make your blows slightly less effective).
3) Put yourself in a sound-absorbent tent while hammering.

The best method is always going to be some form of number 3, i.e. placing more layers of sound-absorbent material between yourself and the thing you are trying to escape notice from. This won't actually reduce the sound levels since the actual strike will still be just as loud, but it will accomplish what you are usually trying to do with "quiet" tools and has the benefit that it can essentially be layered indefinitely until sound levels approach zero. On the other hand methods 1 and 2 are going to be limited both in how efficient they can be and how much of a reduction you can get out of them; sound is essentially a form of "waste heat" in most common cases (such as hitting something with a sledge hammer) and as such fighting it is not an easy process short of simply containing it without reducing it (such as wrapping insulation around your reactor reduces waste heat loss).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 19, 2016, 12:06:55 pm »

Hit the thing hard enough that you only need one strike,  then run away from the thing you want to avoid the notice of? :P
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 21, 2016, 12:06:56 am »

So what are the current space travel methods that are actually being researched for long distance space travel?
Like what technologies? I heard the other day about something with a bunch of little metal sheets being pushed by lasers and it confused the crap out of me... Though this may belong in the space and it science threads I'm not sure
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 21, 2016, 06:46:01 am »

I really need to get back into that. The last thing I've heard of was solar sailing, and I don't remember if that's speculation or not.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 21, 2016, 06:47:26 am »

Mainly speculation. It'll take ages to get the requisite laser power.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 21, 2016, 06:52:15 am »

Couldn't you just tell America that Russia has a bigger laser than they do?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:09 am »

Would it? It'd be expensive to build, but building a big laser seems easy in comparison to building a spaceship weighing 1g able to send information back from alpha centauri. Or aiming the powerful laser on a tiny spaceship once that spaceship is beyond the orbit of Mars. Or not frying said spaceship, or squishing the electronics.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 21, 2016, 07:28:42 am »

Remember that you also probably have to build your huge laser on the Moon, because on Earth the atmospheric diffraction would be too much, and in orbit it would keep deorbiting itself because it actually generates thrust, and you would have to provide it with engines to compensate.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 21, 2016, 08:14:54 am »

If its small enough, you can also push it with lasers and let the momentum push it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 637