Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687648 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2265 on: April 14, 2016, 10:22:58 pm »

Well my english teachers know what it is and I think my history teacher knows it as well but I think of I pull something like that they would expect me to use more than just one letter that's been removed from the alphabet
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: April 14, 2016, 10:24:33 pm »

No offense, but how exactly is it convenient to you? It seems to me that it would pretty much always be about as easy to just type "th" whenever you would want to use that character, and doing so would have the benefit of, you know, actually being able to be understood by others reading your work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:56 pm »

I meant in writting, it's a lot quicker to draw three lines than two letters, typing it is quite literally impossible for me but I wrote a lot for classes and ANY way to shorten it helps

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: April 14, 2016, 10:28:59 pm »

And... no, if they're decent teachers, they would expect you to stop using it (at least if you try to for anything besides one-off stuff or jokes and whatnot), because it's bad practice for general use writing, which is largely what they should be teaching. Once or twice, or occasionally when it's appropriate and makes for a possible chuckle, it would be okay if you've got a decent relationship with the teacher, but actually trying to use it regularly would (or should, anyway) be looked on... poorly.

Also, if you're looking for ways to shorten, consider shorthand! It's useful stuff, supposedly, and something of a dying art. Basically no one knows it, but that puts it right in line with thorn, so :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: April 14, 2016, 10:31:28 pm »

I'm close to the teachers, they would get a laugh out of it, and these aren't regular classes they are college classes so they aren't teaching to a highschool requirment or whatever so it's whatever they want as far as requirments on work.

Also I think just using thorn would be more acceptable that short hand XD since that's basically a language all it's own at this point

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: April 14, 2016, 10:33:56 pm »

I actually tried to use it for a while, and even figured out a way to integrate it (and it's brother ð) into my cursive writing for 'faster' note taking.

Not worth it. I wrote th out of pure reflex half the time and didn't even realize it until it was already done. If you really want to type it though, you could switch your input mode to Icelandic, they still use both letters. Saves you the trouble of alt codes/copypasta at least, plus you can type out æ and the degree symbol.

Mostly what Frumple said though. It's not super useful in most contexts, and actually less useful than th in others.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:35:48 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:17 pm »

College classes would hammer that point in even harder, if they're a class worth taking, since something like half the point of the things are teaching you how to communicate in the field you're dealing with, be it work, academia, or general use. Which means using letters and whatnot other people will understand, heh.

And they're equally unacceptable, is most of the point :P

Still, yeah, if it can get a chuckle and the teachers are okay with using it occasionally, it'd probably be alright to use to that extent. Just... don't internalize it as something you normally do. You really, really shouldn't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: April 14, 2016, 10:38:44 pm »

I think I'm just going to start using thorn and other abandoned letters in my own notes and such
1- to confuse people trying to cheat
2- it'll be more entertaining than copying crap
3- why not, I know what it means so can't hurt

College classes would hammer that point in even harder, if they're a class worth taking, since something like half the point of the things are teaching you how to communicate in the field you're dealing with, be it work, academia, or general use. Which means using letters and whatnot other people will understand, heh.

And they're equally unacceptable, is most of the point :P

Still, yeah, if it can get a chuckle and the teachers are okay with using it occasionally, it'd probably be alright to use to that extent. Just... don't internalize it as something you normally do. You really, really shouldn't.

^as point above I can do whatever I want in my own notes and yeah I would just use it as a joke occasionally in assignments

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 14, 2016, 10:47:18 pm »

Just... don't internalize it as something you normally do. You really, really shouldn't.
Echoing this. Of course you're an adult and can do whatever the heck you want to do, but if you internalize it and then really confuse your non-english major boss some day be it on your own head. :P

Honestly if you were looking for something just for your own notes I'd highly suggest picking up some form of shorthand if you feel up to it, since it'll actually lead to significant gains and has much less chance of you ever mixing up which system you're using by accident.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 14, 2016, 10:51:12 pm »

If you do, make it this one. High school students in the US had to learn it up until the 1960's, so there's a lot of material out there for learning to use it. It's also probably the best developed of the major ones in use.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 14, 2016, 10:58:29 pm »

And here I was contemplating writing notes in this alphabet I found from lord of the rings

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 15, 2016, 03:10:52 am »

And here I was contemplating writing notes in this alphabet I found from lord of the rings
Transcribing English in Tengwar?

What scrubdom.

Mortals should learn Quenya or go home and stop taking err jerbs.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 15, 2016, 03:19:59 am »

And this time not so much a question but a random reminder

Don't sleep on your left side if you are having problems with nightmares (as I am having) I seem to only y get them when I sleep on my left side. Like now... When I wake up in the middle of the night almost crying.. Yay...

So my advice if someone is having nightmares, avoid sleeping on your left side

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: April 15, 2016, 09:05:23 am »

I would quite like to see the return of thorn and ash, but alas I don't think it will happen in any large scale.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: April 15, 2016, 10:54:40 am »

I stumbled upon the fact that scientists don't really know what the function of the chin is.

But isn't one of the functions of the chin to protect from being choked? Tucking your chin makes it difficult to get a hand around your neck.

Never saw this function mentioned anywhere.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 637