Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687723 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2220 on: April 08, 2016, 03:47:50 pm »

Hrrm, good.  Thanks all!
And specifically @scrdest:
Maybe we'll see.  My plan is:
* Primarily, walk more and longer.
* Go back to liquor and lite shitbeers instead of delicious IPAs.  Fuck's sake, they're literally designed to store calories.
* More V8 and beans instead of making huge pots of rice with bits of vegetables
* When hungry, drink American unsweet shittea.

Shouldn't be hard.  I already like unsweet american "ice tea" and low-sodium V8.  And I really love spinach, and beans are pretty good too.
Pretty much the same with lite beer and liquor...  I pretty much picked up this IPA taste at the beginning of winter

which explains a lot probably
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: April 09, 2016, 02:10:54 am »

Yeah, like the "8 glass of water a day", it has no scientific basis, it's just to encourage people to eat more fruits,

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: April 09, 2016, 10:38:04 am »

Maybe this should go in the food thread buuutttt

Can you use different fluids than water in a rice cooker?
My family uses this thing all the time but we only cook the rice in water, I was wondering if I could add tomato juice or chicken broth to it would be a smart idea

((Rice cooker is basicaly just an enclosed metal pit that you put rice in, add water, close, turn on, and wait and it cooks the rice... Not sure if it's a common thing since my family is one of very few who own one around here))
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: April 09, 2016, 10:45:24 am »

Generally, yeah, it's fine. So long as it'll steam or whatev' instead of caramelize, and possibly even then. Just give it a shot, see what happens -- usually the worst that can occur is you have to give the inside a good scrubbing. Well, and keep an eye on it when you try it for the first time, of course. The unusually worst that can occur involves fire and/or explosions :V

... also, sheb, last I checked (like... part way through last year, when a family member was dealing with dehydration) the 8 (8oz) glasses of water a day is actually fairly close to the recommend amount of fluid intake to avoid dehydration. A little low for most people (and it varies by person, o'course), but close to it, though it ignores food-based fluid intake. It has a scientific basis, it's just very generalized and a bit inaccurate. Sorta' like a lot of low level history or science or IT or math (or...) teachings.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:47:55 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: April 09, 2016, 10:50:05 am »

I'll try it next time I can and report results here and food thread

I was just checking to make sure it wouldn't damage the steam vents or do weird things while cooking

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: April 09, 2016, 10:52:16 am »

Maybe this should go in the food thread buuutttt

Can you use different fluids than water in a rice cooker?
My family uses this thing all the time but we only cook the rice in water, I was wondering if I could add tomato juice or chicken broth to it would be a smart idea

((Rice cooker is basicaly just an enclosed metal pit that you put rice in, add water, close, turn on, and wait and it cooks the rice... Not sure if it's a common thing since my family is one of very few who own one around here))
I could *swear* I've seen that very same question on this forum before.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 09, 2016, 10:53:50 am »

I'unno, I did ask in the food thread a lil' bit ago about using apple juice in a pressure cooker (which is basically what a rice cooker is, heh). Could be what you're thinking about?
Ask not!
Ask!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: April 09, 2016, 10:54:23 am »

I may have also asked this question before
My memory is not the best

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: April 09, 2016, 04:11:57 pm »

Rice made with chicken broth is delicious. Best rice I've ever made. Broth is the best food component I've ever found.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: April 09, 2016, 04:48:32 pm »

There's a reason stock/broth is a fairly standard base for soups, rice dishes, etc., etc., etc., heh.

Personally, I've mostly just stopped using actual salt when a recipe calls for it and use bullion (or various salty sauces) instead. More flavor, same health concerns :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: April 09, 2016, 04:52:26 pm »

Rice made with chicken broth is delicious. Best rice I've ever made. Broth is the best food component I've ever found.
Naah, onions are better. And if you add bullion to everything, everything starts to taste like boullion. #nietzscheinthekitchen
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 09, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »

It doesn't, actually! Mostly because you vary bullion. I've got like four different kinds in the cupboards, heh. And sometimes you don't use it, of course, because you don't want to add any salt to the dish.

Also no, no onions. Onions taste horrific :V

... to me, anyway. You might have some idea how freakishly irritating that is if you have any cognizance regarding how much onion is used in cooking. Shit is everywhere and it takes very little to inundate an entire plate with the goddamn taste :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 09, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

It doesn't, actually! Mostly because you vary bullion.
So it tastes like four kinds of boullion. Big difference.

Maybe it's because moderation is not really my thing, but I sort of stopped using boullion in cooking altogether because it drowned out almost all other more subtle tastes. Onion soup? Tastes like boullion. Tomato sauce? Tastes like boullion. Plain rice? Tastes like boullion.

Leaving it out is a challenge at first, but doing so makes you a better cook in the long run. Kinda like taking the training wheels off of your bike, really.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 09, 2016, 05:35:24 pm »

Someone recently mentioned using beer instead of water when cooking rice.  Like, just beer.  I like beer but holy crap O_o
Probably real beer (not lite rice beer) because the point is to add flavor, and you can just subtract rice to account for the carbs.  But, idunno...  Mixing grains always seems a bit gross to me.  Throw in a bunch of hops and alcohol and...  ??
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 09, 2016, 05:44:21 pm »

Oh... yeah, if you're not doing moderation it's a problem. When I use bullion it's usually even less amounts than the dish calls for salt -- the intent is to add flavor, not add food to the bullion. Also yeah, I cook without it plenty, especially when I'm cooking for someone else, heh. And it is a big difference! Try it some time, and you'll find eating 4-7 different things over the course of a week repeatedly is a goddamn hell of a lot of a difference compared to eating the same thing every day of the week for a while, ahaha. A little bit of variation really does help a lot with that sort of thing.

Though yeah, Rol, you can do that. Cooking with alcohol to varying degrees is fairly common -- it usually burns away most of the poison and just leaves the taste. I prefer to just use whatever the alcohol was made from without the brainkillers, m'self (it usually tastes better that way :P), but it's a thing. Beer bread (you can also use sodas and stuff for that, which can be pretty amazing), wine's common for marinades, beer battered whatever, etc., and so forth.

Also would totally recommend mixing grains occasionally -- you can start with something simple, like adding croutons (or ghetto croutons, which is just chopped up toast :V) to rice or somethin', and then see what else works for you. I throw rice into a bunch of other stuff, and a bunch of other stuff into rice, heh, just as an example. Simply throwing together two things you like to eat is one of the easiest ways to start experimenting with what you cook, ha!
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 637