Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687736 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2190 on: April 07, 2016, 08:01:44 am »

Probably means the ones that are built to retain heat and be carried around outside the house and whatnot. The fancier ones.

and ninja'd, eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: April 07, 2016, 08:05:22 am »

Come on, don't fuck up my shitty joke.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: April 07, 2016, 08:08:53 am »

Whoops. >.>
* Yoink is not at the top of his shitty joke game right now.

If it makes it any better, I did chuckle when I saw it. Not sure if it was audible or not, but it was something.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:01 am »

Come on, don't fuck up my shitty joke.
Gotta' start thursday morning off somehow. Low bars make for easy liftin' :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: April 07, 2016, 09:08:09 am »

portable coffee mug
What sort of shitty coffee mugs do you usually have that you can't move them around?

Dud, you don't want to know how much of a coffee addict I am. More seriously, yes those insulated, lidded ones.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: April 07, 2016, 10:47:33 am »

So, searching around my room, I found some kind of portable coffee mug left behind by my predecessor... That was apparently filled with tea since then. I've scoured it clean, but it still smell godawful. That stuff would be practical though, any idea to get rid of the smell?

Try baking soda. Failing that, vinegar - go for the strongest available. Might help.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: April 07, 2016, 03:00:27 pm »

Is there a way to process regular grass so its nutritious for humans? (boiling, grinding it into a flour etc)
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: April 07, 2016, 03:09:38 pm »

Feed it to a cow. *coughs* Or wrap it in vitamins and whatnot.

But so far as I'm aware, and cursory googling showed, basically no so far as grass by itself goes. There are varieties of grass that we can eat and do alright by, but your bog standard yard grass sorts aren't really one of them. You can maybe eat it, but it's not unlikely to make you sick and won't do much for you regardless, no matter how you cook it. We're just not really equipped to digest the stuff.

E: You can also mulch it and use it to grow other plants you actually can easily get stuff out of. Like livestock, but less bodily fluids. So... sorta'! If you count filtering it through an intermediary and eating the intermediary processing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:14:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: April 07, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »

Blending it into a smoothie wouldn't make it digestible?

What if you grind it and let it soak in an acidic environment? Isn't that basically what cows do?

How the f do cows survive virtually exclusively on the stuff.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 07, 2016, 04:18:06 pm »

Because they have 4-chambered stomachs and unique gut bacteria which can break down the components of grass. Humans lack those bacteria and the right form of stomach, so we can't really break it down into anything useful.

Simply soaking the stuff in acid won't do much, since that's what our stomachs do too.

Aha! so we ferment the stuff.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: April 07, 2016, 05:01:14 pm »

Because they have 4-chambered stomachs and unique gut bacteria which can break down the components of grass. Humans lack those bacteria and the right form of stomach, so we can't really break it down into anything useful.

Simply soaking the stuff in acid won't do much, since that's what our stomachs do too.

Aha! so we ferment the stuff.
Well, you could, technically. East Germany was producing alcohol from wood pulp, which is indigestible for the exact same reasons grass is.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: April 07, 2016, 05:21:52 pm »

Also if I remember right grass is made mostly of cellulose by volume, and we can't do anything useful with that because of its treacherous β(1→4) linkages. It contains other stuff, but not really in any useful quantity. I have heard of people making stews by steeping (not sure if that's the word) a lot of grass, clearing out the junk, and repeating until it gets concentrated enough to satiate, but that's desperation and probably more effort than its worth anyway.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:25:18 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: April 07, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »

Also if I remember right grass is made mostly of cellulose by volume, and we can't do anything useful with that because of its treacherous β(1→4) linkages. It contains other stuff, but not really in any useful quantity. I have heard of people making stews by steeping (not sure if that's the word) a lot of grass, clearing out the junk, and repeating until it gets concentrated enough to satiate, but that's desperation and probably more effort than its worth anyway.

If it doesn't include stuff in useful quantities except for cellulose, how can cows sustain themselves exclusively on the stuff even when they DO digest the stuff?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: April 07, 2016, 05:29:41 pm »

Cellulose is specifically what cows' gut bacteria are evolved to do to enable them to digest it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: April 07, 2016, 05:39:11 pm »

Cellulose is specifically what cows' gut bacteria are evolved to do to enable them to digest it.

Yes so why can't we put lots of grass in a big tank with those bacteria, wait a while and then make smoothies with whatever the bacteria turn the grass into?
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 637