Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687584 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1635 on: October 07, 2015, 05:59:38 pm »

If I can only get one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, is it better to get Call of Pripyat, or Shadow of Chernobyl? I'm leaning toward Call of Pripyat because it's apparently more replayable and mechanically tuned, but I've heard Shadow of Chernobyl's writing is a lot better.
I'd recommend Call of Pripyat if you haven't played any of the games before and don't want to deal with SoC's buggy ass. However, SoC offers more value for your money, since it's longer. And is also an interesting experience.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1636 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »

For waht it's worth, I never really encountered problems with SoC.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 08, 2015, 02:00:24 am »

So if everyone is trying to get more PC in trying to fight racism... (Ignoring White acceptable targets like the Irish, Scottish, and Gypsies)

Why is it still acceptable to be as racist as humanly possible when it comes to depictions of the Mongols?

Why are the Mongols (who are Asian), still considered acceptable targets?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:02:18 am by Neonivek »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 08, 2015, 02:14:40 am »

I didn't imagine that anyone was considered an 'acceptable target'. To what are you referring to exactly?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 08, 2015, 02:24:42 am »

I didn't imagine that anyone was considered an 'acceptable target'. To what are you referring to exactly?

Acceptable targets are forms of racism that is usually brushed off as either harmless or ok because of the target.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableTargets

Since otherwise I'd never get through this conversation.

Why are the Mongols STILL to this day, considered an Acceptable target?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 08, 2015, 02:29:39 am »

Acceptable targets are forms of racism that is usually brushed off as either harmless or ok because of the target.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableTargets

Since otherwise I'd never get through this conversation.

Why are the Mongols STILL to this day, considered an Acceptable target?
It might work better if you gave any proof of this assertion.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 08, 2015, 02:31:42 am »

Ok, if we are doing it like this...

What kind of proof will you accept?

And if I DID get proof... and needed proof... How could you possibly answer my question except by blind assertion?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:33:23 am by Neonivek »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1642 on: October 08, 2015, 02:34:27 am »

Anything not obviously racist in general that attacks Mongols? I'm struggling to think of anything that does, but I also don't generally have a lot of exposure to the media.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 08, 2015, 02:35:47 am »

And if I DID get proof... and needed proof... How could you possibly answer my question except by blind assertion?
An example of racism against Mongols that is, you know, not widely decried.

Hell, I'd be pretty surprised to see any example of a recent work that even features Mongols at all.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 08, 2015, 02:37:17 am »

How recent are we talking about here scrdest?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 08, 2015, 02:41:21 am »

Neo, you were the one who started this topic. ::)
Was there actually something you saw that sparked it, or did you just pull the whole idea out of your arse?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 08, 2015, 02:48:15 am »

Neo, you were the one who started this topic. ::)
Was there actually something you saw that sparked it, or did you just pull the whole idea out of your arse?

How the heck did my question somehow become your question?

But ok, how recent do you want here?

As for what sparked it. It was a conversation about Fantasy versions of Europeans and I noticed that one common fantasy expy is typically the Mongolians.

Except they are always a super duper racist version of the Mongols that you are supposed to immediately recognize as the Mongols. So I was like "Wait, if we have gone so far as to correct our other racist attitudes towards other cultures... Why haven't we extended the same to the Mongols?"

So I asked it here. Why are the Mongols STILL an acceptable target for racism that is well over a thousand years old?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 08, 2015, 03:03:09 am »

Ah, now that I understand the context, ya, it would be nice to see that fixed.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 08, 2015, 03:17:04 am »

I dunno, racist fantasy Japan and racist fantasy middle-east are quite common too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 08, 2015, 06:07:39 am »

Have you ever heard of "Curiosity bait"?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 637