Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687740 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1620 on: September 22, 2015, 05:43:48 am »

I'm pretty sure it was, yeah. 'Ex cathedra' basically just means 'extra officially'.

(Also note that the 'infallibility' in question is in fact fairly narrow - but you probably know that already.)

E: I have a question - does feeling remorse imply you wouldn't act the same way again, given a similar situation? Or is it rather more like regret that you acted the way you did, regardless of whether it was necessary?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:54:14 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1621 on: September 22, 2015, 06:50:14 am »

I believe it does imply wishing not to do it again - as far as I understand, remorse is a sort of "oh crap, I screwed everything up massively" feeling, while the "I wish I didn't have to do this" feeling is called regret.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: September 22, 2015, 06:57:52 am »

I believe it does imply wishing not to do it again - as far as I understand, remorse is a sort of "oh crap, I screwed everything up massively" feeling, while the "I wish I didn't have to do this" feeling is called regret.

Am I reading it right that remorse is basically a stronger form of regret?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: September 22, 2015, 10:20:59 am »

Either of them do imply wishing you won't do whatever it is again, at least for a little bit, yes. That doesn't even in the most remote of senses imply you won't, though, per the original inquiry. Any sort of guilt or guilt derivative can have remarkably little effect on actual action, heh. There's a distinct disconnect between feeling bad about something doing something about it :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: September 25, 2015, 11:19:39 am »

Google tells me that when someone previously encountered that bug the response was this:
You can try a -repair of the client, found at the same place you would submit a request for assistance.
Or clearing out your cache might alleviate the problem.
Or, as suggested above, contact the CS Team. [top of the GW2 website "Support"]
Good luck.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: September 27, 2015, 08:35:21 am »

There was a small horror story. Can't remember if it was on nosleep or creepypasta, but it's about some guys that go into a cabin owned by the narrator's uncle and end up coming... under attack? By some weird human-shaped thing. The only other details I remember is it involving a deer being torn in half, a rabbit dying and one of the friends being a survival/gun nut.

Anyone got the name? IIRC it's not GREAT (bit too cliched, honestly), but I've got to the point where I've forgotten enough details for it to be irritating when I try to recall them.
https://archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/13750716/
Ctrl-F ">Heading"
I'm with stupid |
                      v

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: October 01, 2015, 05:27:15 pm »

Wrap it in a towel, hit it with a sledgehammer a few times.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: October 01, 2015, 05:31:28 pm »

Disassemble (to make sure you don't burn some plastic bits), then heat the disks past the Curie temperature of the material?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: October 01, 2015, 05:34:44 pm »

Disassemble (to make sure you don't burn some plastic bits), then heat the disks past the Curie temperature of the material?
Disassembling it may prove complicated unless you resort to sledgehammering it open, since a lot of HDDs have really odd-shaped screws under the case to prevent them from being taken apart.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: October 01, 2015, 05:36:28 pm »

Wrap it in a towel, hit it with a sledgehammer a few times.
Pretty sure you can also do this with duct tape or whathaveyou, if you don't want to deal with picking electronic bits out of a towel or tossing one out. Wrap it in a layer or two of tape, then smash. Similarly few flying bitsies, less cleanup.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: October 01, 2015, 05:43:14 pm »

I think if you put it in the freezer for an hour or two there's a chance it'll work well enough to access temporarily.  I don't remember the details, but a friend of mine used to do it for people and it worked.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: October 01, 2015, 05:45:12 pm »

I think if you put it in the freezer for an hour or two there's a chance it'll work well enough to access temporarily.  I don't remember the details, but a friend of mine used to do it for people and it worked.
Won't work if the motor is broken, though.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: October 07, 2015, 04:09:58 pm »

Any suggestions on what to name my rival in Elf Monsters Vietnamese Crystal?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 07, 2015, 04:21:12 pm »

COACH, of course. For he is a monster

coach.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: October 07, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »

If I can only get one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, is it better to get Call of Pripyat, or Shadow of Chernobyl? I'm leaning toward Call of Pripyat because it's apparently more replayable and mechanically tuned, but I've heard Shadow of Chernobyl's writing is a lot better.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 637