Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687719 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

In English-speaking radio convention, is it acceptable for a radio operator on, say, a naval vessel to identify himself as that vessel in first person? For example, I know that "This is Vesselname" or "Vesselname speaking" sound okay. Does "I am Vesselname" sound weird? I need this for a translation thingy I'm working on.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I believe that when asked to identify personally, the radio operator is suppose to say something like "This is communications officer FOO$ of the FACTION$ vessel BAR$."

I do not believe they are supposed to say "I am the FACTION$ vessel BAR$".  Until we develop general AI, that shouldnt happen.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I can't say I've much experience, but I don't think they'd say "I am X."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

No, I don't mean personally, just the vessel. It's just that in Russian convention (or at least literary convention regarding these things), an exchange like

" - Unknown vessel, please, identify yourself. - I am Vesselname, {FACTION INFO}. - Vesselname, change course immediately, you are on a collision course with me"

is possible. Radio operators often refer to themselves in the first person as the whole vessel they're on in informal chatter.
I suspected this wasn't possible in English - I mean, I've read my share of sci-fi and military fiction - but I had a brain fart in my language processing center. Thanks, anyway.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

There is something similar, but does not use the personal noun "I".

It uses the inpersonal "This".

"This is FACTION$ vessel BAR$. OTHERBAR$, you are on collision course, please abort."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

So I've screwed up my sleep cycle even more over the past few days.
I woke up at 1AM today after falling asleep at around noon yesterday. (Maybe closer to 1pm.)
It is currently 4:38AM and I have things I need to do tomorrow (so over 24 hours away). I'm not feeling sleepy, although I don't exactly feel great either. Am I better off staying awake as long as possible to get a good night's sleep starting from a reasonable time at night, or just trying to get to sleep now and hoping for the best?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

I wanted to run a LP of LCS, but I'm unsure whether to put it in Curses or Play With Your Buddies. Which would you guys recommend?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

LPs almost always go in Play With Your Buddies, so I'd say there.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile

If I wanted to make a command-driven webcomic (a la Homestuck), where would I start?

What are some good places to host those? Are there any good tutorials out there? What are some common beginner's mistakes? And what is the official name for those things, anyways?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

1. MSPF
2. I guess read lots of books, learn to write, learn to draw etc.
3. Hmm. Giving the readers too little choice (railroading!), giving them too much choice (gridlock!), not conveying the amount of choice they have, etc.
4. Forum adventures, unless they're not forum, at which point... it's new enough that "MSPaint adventure" is the closest thing

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Online CYOA could fit, too. It's basically what those things are, just internet'd.

Explaining stuff like that to someone that doesn't have much exposure to the net is an effort and a half, though. I think the closest I've been able to get that gets the point across thus far is "Collaborative writing session".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile

Oh yeaaaah! I totally forgot about MSPF! They've even got a subforum for newbies and a thread for adventure crtiques. That seems like a great place to start.

CYOA? Eh, I guess that works. I guess the whole user-driven online comic thing is so new it hasn't gotten it's own genre name yet. :U

So I've screwed up my sleep cycle even more over the past few days.

I've been in your situation before. Rough it and go 24 hours without any sleep, and then sleep at a normal time like 11PM the day before your excursion. If you're a fairly sessile person it won't be as hard as you'd think. That'll work for one day but it won't get your sleep pattern back in check. For that, you'll need to keep it up for 3-4 days and go to sleep at 11PM over and over.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why, in the archeological sense, are ancient religions/beliefs/religious practices called cults?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Generally because they were fairly small and/or fractious, compared to what we consider "proper" religions, iirc. That, mixed with some modern (and competing religious, of course) bias denigrating ancient beliefs. Substantially mixed >_>

... okay, really, it's mostly because of the latter. Some of it's because of the former. Most of it is just later people being jackasses towards someone that can't respond ('cause they're dead :V).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why, in the archeological sense, are ancient religions/beliefs/religious practices called cults?
because a cult is basically just another word for religion. its just usually used now days with a negative connotation (see definition 6). in my anthropologial studies they were always called religions though.

Cult: noun

1.a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers:
the physical fitness cult.

3.the object of such devotion.

4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5.Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

6.a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

7.the members of such a religion or sect.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 637