Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687374 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Something science related.

Suppose there is a statite using solar sails to "hover" over a star (it would be stationary with regard to it).
If I stood on said statite on the side facing away from the star would I be accelerated inward and thus be capable of walking around as if I was on the surface of planet?
Yes but you would need a very, very big sail to be able to act against a weight comparable to Earth gravity.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile

Something science related.

Suppose there is a statite using solar sails to "hover" over a star (it would be stationary with regard to it).
If I stood on said statite on the side facing away from the star would I be accelerated inward and thus be capable of walking around as if I was on the surface of planet?
Yes but you would need a very, very big sail to be able to act against a weight comparable to Earth gravity.

Thanks!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

This is a test post. Please disregard it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Test reply to your test post.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Something something testes.

I want to think up of a pun, but I can't be bothered.
You don't have the balls to make a pun like that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

A particularly sturdy bag* or fairly significant amounts of rope. 'Bout all I can think of off the top of my head. You could conceptually put something solid (wood of some sort, probably, maybe idle sheet metal or sturdy plastic or somethin') underneath it and push, too. Still not really easy, but it's easier.

*E: Or a couple, if you've got 'em. Depending on the size of the thing, a couple of, say, laundry bags might be able to handle the weight and make it a lot easier to keep a hold on as you go up, santa style. Double or triple bagging one of those heavy garbage bags might work, too. Stuff like that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:27:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Something something testes.

I want to think up of a pun, but I can't be bothered.
You don't have the balls to make a pun like that.
You'd be nuts to think so.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Why is Israel represented as a hypercube in PolandBall comics? And why is Kazakhstan rectangular?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Prob because Israel is always joked to be artificial, and not a natural state.

I'm not sure about rectangular ones, though. Imperial germany is also depicted as a rectangular thing, albeit a vertically oriented one.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

Because Jewish physics, man. No, I'm being serious, that's why they made it a cube.

What is that quote at the end of Fury Road from?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Imperial germany is also depicted as a rectangular thing, albeit a vertically oriented one.

I'm pretty sure that that one's because of Reichtangle. The others, though, no idea.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The concensus on the internet is that it's made up. If it isn't it's probably a reference to Jesus's journey into the desert, or something.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

The concensus on the internet is that it's made up. If it isn't it's probably a reference to Jesus's journey into the desert, or something.
I thought that it referenced Moses and the desert of Sin. Still vaguely biblical, but I was unable to find it in Exodus.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

That's the kind of quote I like to think I'd remember from the Bible. Besides, protip: if you want philosophy and awesome quotes about finding yourself, try Buddhism or Hinduism. The Bible is remarkably short on those.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 637