Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687400 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Probably something fairly old or very specialized. That's actually a word I've seen used before, but it was from something archaic (or trying to sound it, anyway). It does look like it's still a word in use, but you're pretty much never going to see it used practically outside of the medical fields and even then pretty much never in actual conversation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Probably something fairly old or very specialized. That's actually a word I've seen used before, but it was from something archaic (or trying to sound it, anyway). It does look like it's still a word in use, but you're pretty much never going to see it used practically outside of the medical fields and even then pretty much never in actual conversation.
It's a loanword. Sounds far more grandiose than what it translates to 'drug-making'. Medicine loves its loanwords.

It's just a portmanteau, isn't it? Pharmacy and cornucopia. A grab-bag of pharmaceutical products.
No, pharmas, medicine + poiesis, to make.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Did laundry today, and apparently the shitbox dryers the University put in the dorm room aren't able to fully dry a load no matter how small. I have no more money now (they cost $1.25 per cycle to use) so another cycle is out of the question, and they don't do refunds either. Does anyone have any suggestions? They're not dripping wet, but they're noticeably damp. So far I've just put away the least offensive of the lot and put the rest back in the hamper.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Blowdryer? Heater? Hang out to dry? Stick in front of a fan? It's mostly a matter of what you have access to. All you have to do to dry clothes is, well, do what the dryer does. Air and (preferably) heat, and the latter isn't really necessary.

You do probably want to keep them as exposed to air as possible, though -- hang 'em off something instead of foldin' 'em and putting them in a drawer or whatev'. Ain't good to leave damp clothes bunched up, if you can avoid it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:27:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I might be able to get the most important stuff up on the heater (it's just a very hot pipe with a plastic catch for condensation up near the ceiling) but my resources are pretty limited here. I don't have access to any of those other things. I guess I'll just leave them out in the open and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:32:08 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I think it must have been The Mighty Boosh where I saw that word.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Mm. If you're in a dorm, there's pretty good odds someone has a blowdryer or fan you could maybe bum a use off for a bit. Maybe ask a RA equivalent or somethin'. If you're particularly desperate and you've got something to tie it to, a bit of rope, fishing line (buy it somewhere, though that may not be an option if you can't afford another drying cycle -- something to consider for the future), or daisy-chained belts can serve as an impromptu drying line.

If it's nice out (which, uh. Probably not, unless you're in a radically different time zone than me. Sun's probably not out, and that's what you need), you might be able to hunt down an empty bench or something to lay stuff on -- you'd have to flip 'em around every once in a while and you'd be hanging around for a fair amount of time, but it'd work. Railing is really good for that if you've got access to it.

E: But if y'don't have resources, y'don't have resources. Just... spread 'em out as much as possible -- get as much surface area exposed to air (preferably moving air) as you can. If you've got space, probably get those damper ones out of the hamper, and hang the better ones off something (bed, desk, whatever). Never really happened to me when I was in the dorms, but the last time I was back home and the dryer broke down I ended up hanging most of the load off a ladder and the rest off walking sticks* shoved in various places to keep things off the ground, just as an example. If there's a decent sized TV, you can probably hang a couple shirts or whatev' off that. Wherever you can fit something, basically.

*With fair note most of my walking sticks are just comfortably sized tree branches I've picked up over the years. There's probably a few of those laying around outside somewhere >_>
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:45:50 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

What is 'Operation Jade Helm'? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Two seconds of google says it's some kind of large (and by large, I mean covering most of the southwest US) military drill over here in the states. You can see some info here, and then compare it with everything else google is spitting out if you care to.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Two seconds of google says it's some kind of large (and by large, I mean covering most of the southwest US) military drill over here in the states. You can see some info here, and then compare it with everything else google is spitting out if you care to.
Well, I did a bit of googling before asking the question, but I know next to nothing about the subject and would have trouble identifying a non-biased source of information if it jumped up and punched me in the nose. I'm only asking because my mother has apparently read something on the internet and is now freaking out over it, since we're visiting the 'States later this year. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Well, as you've probably noticed it seems to be generating a lot of conspiracy theory hullabaloo, with rumors of martial law and all sorts of stuff. Probably is what's freaking her out. Too much consumption of internet tinfoil bupkis.

Fairly sure we don't actually know what's going to happen (if anything unusual beyond the scope of this thing happens at all) until it does, though. I guess if it's really a worry, don't go to the southwest?
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Naturally, that's the area we happen to be going. :P
Ah well, thanks anyway. I'm sure I'll be able to calm her down. Last time it was the rate of gun crime, this time it's Jade Helm.
I'm sure either one would add some excitement to the trip!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Who were the philosophers that said man was naturally good?  Was it just Rousseau, or were there others?  I'm having a surprisingly hard time searching this on google and in my textbook. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Not the person I was looking for, but he seems pretty interesting nonetheless. A good many centuries ahead of European philosophy. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 637