Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687630 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Of Farts and Bathtubs]
« Reply #765 on: September 07, 2014, 05:32:22 pm »

Well, human eyes don't send "frames" to the brain, each cell cluster fire when it's excited and send an impulse. I'm not sure how much time a cluster need to 'reset' before sending another impulse, but it's probably about the same as a neuron, which need about 5 ms between firing and being ready to fire again. So if there is enough light, it could be more like 100+ fps. But then I don't know if there is a processing bottleneck in the brain.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 07, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »

You seem to be implying that the signals from the eye are what we see. You would be hugely inaccurate, if so.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 07, 2014, 06:26:52 pm »

Most of what we see is meddling with processing, yes. Largely memories and patterns being applied over the messages sent my the eyes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 07, 2014, 07:25:04 pm »

The signal speed is around 100 kp/h for myelinated and 20 kp/h for non-myelinated neurons IIRC.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 08, 2014, 02:25:12 am »

Oh, I love questions like this! It's like being Randal from XKCD's What If!
I recently did something like this with a friend who was saying how another friend was "more than a moon" to him, so I went on to determine that the second friend was Neptune's Adams ring. I may post that one day. It needs to be memorialized.

How many times a second does a human eye send information to the brain?
The shutter speed/exposure time equivalent is between 1/15th and 1/30th of a second. Not quite what you were looking for, but I thought it might be relevant for the third answer, so I brought it up. Spoiler alert: it's not.

How fast would you need to run to outrun a mosquito?
You wouldn't. You can just walk away from it. A mosquito's top speed is between 1.2 and 1.5 MPH, or 2 and 2.4 KMPH. A human's walking speed is, on average, 3.1 MPH, or 5 KMPH.
If this seems wrong, you might not be dealing with a mosquito. They're some of the slower insects.
Mosquito's top speed.
Human's walking speed.

How fast would a car need to move to be invisible?
Well, there's two ways to look at this question, that I can see:
A. How fast does an object have to go so that light does not reflect off it?
B. How fast does an object have to go so that it can pass through a person's field of vision without being hit by enough photons to be a visible object?

To answer question A:
The speed of light.

It's a bit anticlimactic, but it's what it is. Light moves at a constant speed, and even if you are moving at .9repeating c (the speed of light), light will eventually hit you, and bounce off. But you cannot reach the speed of light, so the question, and subsequent answer, are irrelevant.

To answer question B:
I was originally going to use FOV measurements to see how fast our car would have to go to pass through our FOV in the exposure times listed in the first question, but it turns out that humans have a FOV of approximately 180o. That doesn't help us. At all.
Instead, I'm going to skip that, and determine the minimum photons required for a human to see an object. We do this by figuring the faintest light someone can see. Luckily, Google is rather forthcoming.

In 1942, Hecht, Shlaer, and Pirenne determined what is called the "Absolute threshold", the lowest amount of photons required for vision. They determined that an emission of 90 photons was all that was required for a human to see. However, only half reached the retina, and of that group, 9, or 20%, reached the fovea. It's theorized that the human eye can react to a single photon.

That last part was the most important, since it means that it is impossible, in this context, to make a car go so fast that it is completely invisible. Even if it were to go at c, then photons would still reflect off of the sides. One would eventually hit an observer.
Practically? If you've got the tech to make a car go fast enough that it starts to become difficult to see, invisibility is not a huge issue.

Source.

And yes, I realize just how much of a neck beard this image makes me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:31:01 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 08, 2014, 05:05:34 am »

I'm gonna be That Guy: 0.(9) = 1.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:19 am »

Thanks Immaterial!

Horse fly can go 145 km/h

We're FUCKED!

My thoughts exactly!
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 08, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »

Does anybody know of a way to get information off an encrypted hard drive on a dead(won't power on) PC?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 08, 2014, 05:37:40 pm »

Repair the PC or take the hard drive to a laboratory specializing in data recovery?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 08, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »

Damnit. Guess that means I have to redo my summer project.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 08, 2014, 07:01:57 pm »

If you've got a way to get through the encryption (you... did have the key or whatev' backed up somewhere else, right?), you can probably just get a hard drive dock. Cheap one runs around 20-30 USD, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 08, 2014, 07:31:52 pm »

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Sweden and 10 is Russia, how homophobic is Germany?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 08, 2014, 09:18:02 pm »

1. No seriously, I have never actually heard someone over here have an opinion against homosexuals. Except maybe some teenagers, but they don't really mean that, they just say that to be cool; and a few religious old people, but they're dying out fast and nobody listens to them anymore. We don't have gay marriage, but an incredibly close analogue (the only reason it isn't called "marriage" yet is because aforementioned old people didn't want gay people to use that word, and then lots of unfortunate political diplomacy happened, accidentally causing that tiny minority to get their way).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 08, 2014, 10:38:30 pm »

Small question: is there any way to remove topics from the "Show new replies to your posts" thing?

I tried it a while ago and didn't find a method. I can do it in greasemonkey with Javascript I wrote but a legitimate way is always better.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 09, 2014, 04:29:13 am »

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Sweden and 10 is Russia, how homophobic is Germany?
With homophobia it's like with racism against black people: It's there, and fairly wide-spread, but nobody talks about or acts on it, so it's a non-issue. I've never heard of homosexuals being harassed or beaten up as far as I can remember, although I'm quite sure it happens - at least in the East, where we keep or neo-Nazis.
If you want to vacation/study/whatever here, come to Cologne - it's widely known to be Germany's most gay city, with huge Christopher Street day parades and such. Having a carnival tradition helps with that - getting dressed in funny clothes is practically a second nature to the locals, so gay people doing that is not something they'd bat an eye at. Plus the beer is good.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 637