Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687699 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #495 on: December 23, 2013, 01:52:40 pm »

With such a wealth of knowledge, why can I not find the answer to my most pressing question: why are they so popular in the FGRP section?  :P
The same reason everything was you are a thing awhile ago, probably.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 23, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

* Descan transitions into a magical girl outfit
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 23, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »

Now that you understand what magical girls are, the answer should be obvious. It's just fun to pretend with them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 23, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »

What's not to love about the thought of a barely pubescent little girl flipping out and blowing everything in a ten mile radius into their composite atoms? It's like the Monty Python killer bunny mixed with a black rabite, poured into a probably indecent dress and given a transformation sequence.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 23, 2013, 07:35:32 pm »

What is this obsession with transformation sequences? Do the viewers not realize that 2 minutes of their 22-minute show is just repeats of previous transformation sequences? Another minute is steady shots of building exteriors to welcome you back from commercial. Plus the inevitable bumpers - WHO IS THAT POKEMON?! - and the intro sequence and credits.

After all you probably get about 15 minutes of actual show per half hour.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »

There was actually a notable lack of transformation sequence after a point in Nanoha Strikers.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 23, 2013, 08:13:48 pm »

Fairly sure there's some kind of important thematic point to 'em I've either never noticed or bothered to find out. Something about the repeated usage working as an anchor, of sorts, to the show, among other things. Plus some works play with the transformation sequence a bit... interruptions, environment having influence, stuff like that. Then there's, frankly, budgeting issues. Stock footage in one place frees up some artist salaries for fancy stuff elsewhere, potentially.

I mostly chalk magical girl transformation sequences (and a number of others... G-Gundam, anyone?) up to fanservice, though. I'd say a good majority of them are as much peep show as light show, after all. S'probably a somewhat uncharitable generalization, t'be fair, but not too much of one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:01 pm »

Drinking and smoking. What are other activities that can bring a group together nearly anywhere? Not in the sense of meeting new people, but in the sense of getting an opportunity to actually talk to your friends. The key point is anywhere - people talk at dinner, but you need to go somewhere to eat; while you can bring a cooler out to the middle of a field, or sit around a den or bar. And most anyone is willing to join the group for drinking or smoking; you can't just sit around and talk without these, no-one will be interested.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2014, 04:43:54 pm »

I have my best conversations on the drive to work as the result of a car share. That, or at lunchtimes, or any other food related scenario.
This is a blank sig.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 29, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

Hypothetical question, is asking a girl out on Valentines' Day as romantic as I assume it would seem, or is it as obnoxiously cheesy, cliche, and creepy as I would otherwise think it would be?

Seems like the chance of rejection would be slimmer since it's the holiday that's supposed to be all romantic and junk, and such a question would probably be more socially acceptable than any time else. My own opinions on such a subject are unfairly biased and outside opinion would required to get a more fair outlook on the subject.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 29, 2014, 06:30:13 pm »

Most likely outcome depends on the girl, I'd guess.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

Depends on the girl.

I will say it's likely a stronger and more forward move than asking out at any other time, so make sure you know her decently well already. If she's just a minor acquaintance, you might come off too strong.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »

If she's just a minor acquaintance, you might come off too strong.

New hypothetical question. How would a perfectly normal not creepy guy express interest in starting a friendship with a minor female acquaintance when the two have otherwise not had any real contact in four or so years? ...and not seem creepy? Even the hypothetical term "starting a friendship" sounds creepy and stupid, and that was simply chosen for lack of a less stupid sounding term.

Randomly appearing out of nowhere to strike up conversation with a person after such a span of years seems incredibly creepy and awkward. Randomly virtually contacting them from out of nowhere on a social media site such as Facebook after such a span of years also seems creepy, and awkward.

Obviously, the logical conclusion is that dating is creepy and awkward.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 30, 2014, 06:01:26 am »

New hypothetical question. How would a perfectly normal not creepy guy express interest in starting a friendship with a minor female acquaintance when the two have otherwise not had any real contact in four or so years? ...and not seem creepy? Even the hypothetical term "starting a friendship" sounds creepy and stupid, and that was simply chosen for lack of a less stupid sounding term.
Weird, I'm having the same problem - addendum: How to get in touch without seeming to be hitting on her? (I may already have blown that last part, though...)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 30, 2014, 06:43:28 am »

Weird, I'm having the same problem - addendum: How to get in touch without seeming to be hitting on her? (I may already have blown that last part, though...)
Involve other people. Invite her to a group activity with your friends, so it is clear it's not supposed to be a date. Like invite her to come along for drinks to some place you often hang around with people, nothing out of the ordinary that might resemble a date-like situation, like cinema, excursions or stuff like that.

Randomly virtually contacting them from out of nowhere on a social media site such as Facebook after such a span of years also seems creepy, and awkward.
Isn't that what these things are for? You can overdo it of course, but just saying "what's up" or "long time no see, what have you been up to" should be perfectly non-creepy.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 637