Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687695 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [HERETIC IN DA THREAD!]
« Reply #315 on: June 05, 2013, 04:36:28 am »

That could be fun, with lots of options for a setting. What everyman skillset is the most useful?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 05, 2013, 04:40:23 am »

That sounds interesting. Though I might suggest considering at least a small system for the player to adapt to different situations (Not a whole lot, just enough for a player to eek by with some difficulty. It could be rather frustrating for a player to build one way, only to find that it's nearly useless later on. Such as Swimming in Deus Ex.
Well yea, I imagine that items and potions and such would still offer some more variance as the game goes on. For example, if you come across some enemy that is almost unkillable with your current set, but you think would be venerable to fire, procuring a scroll that puts a fire aspect onto your weapon for a time would be a possibility, but it wouldn't be as easy or cost effective as the guy who went for the fireball perk.

That could be fun, with lots of options for a setting. What everyman skillset is the most useful?
Depends on what you call useful.
Perks like logging trees, starting fires and cooking meat would make wilderness survival easier and a lot cheaper than buying a ton of food in town, but they won't help very much in a fight. Still, the money you saved on food can go towards other things.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 05, 2013, 04:43:24 am »

Meself, i was thinking of trying to build a myguver skillset with limited points. However, this being a roguelike I'd suggest you have the ability to keep points for use in the game, but you can only buy skills with them once, no respec.
Reading a thinner book

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:28 am »

I'd like a game where beating obstacles was a matter of intense ingenuity, rather than "puzzles" that are piss-poor, or just brute-force killing your enemies. >_>

Such sounds like it go well with Max's idea. :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2013, 12:30:00 am »

Max, are you proposing Skyrim without levels? :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 08, 2013, 06:44:25 am »

For the love of everything good, is this so hard to understand? "I'd like some hardish advice for both personal and likely personal reasons and simply being on these boards, as i don't know what to say to either." On a thread called my friend is suicidal, and likely depressed? Is it that hard to read post's someone is responding to? Really?
Reading a thinner book

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 08, 2013, 07:45:04 am »

I... sorry, Novel. I actually have no idea what you're trying to ask. Or... state? The quoted bit in particular I can't parse: Hardish advice? Both personal and likely personal reasons? Is, uh. Is there a difference? What meaning is "and simply being on these boards" supposed to add to the (run on) sentence? "Don't know what to say to either"... either what? Did you mean, "I don't know what to say, either."? Doesn't help that without context, that's... kind of an empty sentence. It doesn't actually ask about... anything. Best response to that and that alone would be along the lines of, "Well, maybe? What subject are you looking for advice on?"

And the second half of that seems to be missing words. "On a thread someone (or perhaps I) called my friend [suicidal] and likely depressed"? Is that what you meant to type? And... the sentence after that. Should probably be "Is it that hard to read [the post] someone is responding to?" or "Is it that hard to read [the posts] someone is responding to?"

Basically, if you're asking if grammar/language slip ups are obfuscating the point you're trying to make or question you're trying to present for answering, to varying degrees... yes. Yes, they are :( Not sure if I could offer any advice beyond the standard practice-practice-practice rigmarole. I haven't actually paid attention to the formalized rules of English grammar for so long I've forgotten most of it. S'all muscle memory at this point, so to speak. Wish I could help :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 08, 2013, 08:14:19 am »

To explain, and i will point to this thread in future, we are familiar with "hard" advice, yes? Firm, workable, reliable advice? throwing ish into something suggests more vagueness, as in "5'ish". I would have thought "hardish", given I was on a subforum that I'd think would often have armchair psychology or social advice, would have indicated that i wanted advice based in facts and tried and tested methods, but if it adhered to a certain standard i would listen to personal experiences. "Personal and likely personal reasons", is comprised of two distinct parts due to "likely" indicating potential uses, whereas the first "personal" indicates immediately relevant use. "Simply being on these boards", given that everyone and their mother knows we have a happy and more importantly sad thread, is used to indicate the relevance of said advice to talk to forum members, considering they frequently speak of their trials and tribulations on the sad thread, and once you've been confronted with it acting accordingly would be wise. Lastly, the thread was literally called "my friend is suicidal, and likely depressed". Alright, I see that I'm relying on an level of inside understanding which, while present, is not often utilized, so I'll bear that in mind.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 24, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »

I've been told that around about the time when Australia and Antarctica were the largest surviving remnant of Pangaea the south pole was tropical. Did it still have it's current day night cycle, and if so, do we know anything about how that worked?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:45:00 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2013, 01:48:53 pm »

Shameless bump, and while I'mm here, can anyone tell me their favorite evolutionary explanation for a quirk of humans? A little like synchronized yawning having benefits in the form of concurrent sleep cycles. (The same source says you're more likely to echo the yawn of someone you're empathic with, so that's useful).
Reading a thinner book

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2013, 11:58:20 pm »

Whenever I play games on my computer or Xbox, my entire room heats up by an uncomfortable number of degrees. Any way to stop this? There's a window, but it's even warmer outside.

I've been told that around about the time when Australia and Antarctica were the largest surviving remnant of Pangaea the south pole was tropical. Did it still have it's current day night cycle, and if so, do we know anything about how that worked?
"The south pole" meaning the Earth's actual south pole at the time, or the land that is now Antarctica?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2013, 12:42:47 am »

Whenever I play games on my computer or Xbox, my entire room heats up by an uncomfortable number of degrees. Any way to stop this? There's a window, but it's even warmer outside.

Have you tried an air conditioner?  :P

Now, serious answer: getting some sort of draft or breeze or some sort of air circulation at least can help. opening a window would provide air flow, which at least personally I find to be much more comfortable than a room with no air flow at all. Then it just feels really still and muggy. another option would be wearing lighter clothing.

If it still seems unbearable it might actually be worth checking into some sort of small air conditioning unit you could mount in the window to keep the room cool, but that might be an extreme, depending on your situation.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2013, 12:52:13 am »

The house has an AC system and I keep the fan on low at all times in my room. The AC doesn't detect the temperature in this room, so it's relatively erratic. I wear a t-shirt and shorts, and disrobing helps little. Paying for a solution is not an option, 'cause I can just move the computer (a laptop) out of the room, and not play on the Xbox before sleeping to allow it time to cool. Something more convenient would be nice though; thanks for the current suggestions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2013, 01:13:01 am »

Depending on what sort of fan it is, you might try sticking a bowl with some ice water in it in front of the fan. Seemed to make a very notable difference for me that summer the AC went out. If you're dealing with a ceiling fan, a lil'cheapo desk fan could do the trick for that, and you could justify the cost by taking it with you when/if you need something like that.

But yeah. 'Bout the only other things I could think of is better cooling for the electronics (which would be expensive and/or effort intensive) or some fairly extreme measures. There's a lot you can do with carpeting and suchlike to adjust how your room retains heat, from what I've seen, but that kinda' precludes the "not paying" part, ha. But yeah, not!carpet floor (hardwood, tile, etc.), metal furniture, making sure the room's very sparse... stuff like that. If you're really going balls to the wall there's a fair amount of lil'engineering/furnishing tricks you can pull to help cool things off, though my own knowledge of such things is fairly sparse.

Shameless bump, and while I'mm here, can anyone tell me their favorite evolutionary explanation for a quirk of humans?
There's only one evolutionary explanation :P

The gene coding for that behavior or what enables that behavior managed to reproduce more at some point in history, or at the very least was not made to reproduce less by the trait's manifestation. Without some serious experimental shenanigans (that I'm not entirely sure we have the capability to pull off, yet) you can't really say more about that. For all we know the gene sequence that holds yawning managed to lock in because it reduced the spectrum of light we're capable of seeing and that somehow managed to let our ancestors reproduce more effectively (perhaps even entirely by chance, haha!). All hail the RNG, harrum.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2013, 01:21:48 am »

Yeah, it's a ceiling fan. And I'm moving out in two months. So I'll look around the house for a desk fan or whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 637