Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 850453 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9645 on: August 10, 2024, 06:44:04 pm »

If I sang songs of hammered gold and gold enameling, would you still threat me like lords and ladies of byzantine wouI d?

I have allways presumed this song talks about heroine... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GUjA67mdc&pp=ygUMZ29sZGVuIGJyb3du... What if it didn't? What if it did and we still misunderstood.

There is no greater feeling than walking an unilluminated road and trusting your feet to carry you home.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pdJXaH3lvso&pp=ygUVYWxpYXMgLSBpJ20gYSBjb3dib3kg

« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 06:58:03 pm by dragdeler »
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: August 11, 2024, 09:00:56 am »

When you make non-instant coffee, are you making a drink with coffee particulates floating around in it, or are chemicals in the coffee migrating into the drink? Obviously there's some particulates regardless, when I make my cafetière coffee the dregs always have a bit of coffee sludge in them, but for the most part?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: August 11, 2024, 12:41:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's both and maybe also an emulsion?  The Internet seems to agree it has both solution and suspension aspects to it, but apparently there is "debate" over the emulsion aspect of the oils.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: August 11, 2024, 01:45:23 pm »

It's both, yeah. Small molecules diffuse into the water while some particles remain in suspension.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: August 11, 2024, 04:11:36 pm »

I am a firm believer that coffee is one of the most heavily preserved/processed foodstuffs that people ingest, and that most of those preservatives go directly into the body. My guess is that you consume about 5 times the preservatives if you buy ground coffee instead of whole bean, and that most of those preservatives are in the liquid you drink, not in the sediment you sometimes discard from the bottom of the cup.

The most important concept is that it is a surface area problem, because the amount of preservative required to cover the surface of ground coffee is greater than for whole beans.

The second important concept is that preservatives work in two methods, they either form molecular bonds to the product or they simply form a layer that blocks interaction between the product and the air.

The third important concept is that plants construct themselves by forming "skin barriers", just like human bodies do, to protect from penetration by bacteria, viruses, and other small animals. Preservatives will penetrate less into the whole coffee beans due to the natural barriers.

I put those three concepts together and my current policy is to buy whole beans and grind it about once a week.

The fact that coffee industries care more about their profit than your health should be obvious (look at big tobacco, and the myriad of other businesses). They do not care if you will have a shorter life due to the amount of preservatives you consume, and since you consume those preservatives through many sources, it is up to you to reduce your intake.

Next, consider that the basic function of a preservative is to screw with biological processes by binding to receptors, and consider that when that stuff gets into your body in significant volume, it will screw with your body as well. What happens when one component of a system is running at less than 100% effectiveness due to spam from an external source? It causes the entire system to have a shorter lifespan.

People throw out cell phones and laptops when one component fails early. Businesses throw out a corn field or a chicken herd when it gets infested with a mold or virus. Societies throw out humans when they get polluted and stop functioning to the expected levels. It is up to you...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: August 12, 2024, 11:46:28 pm »

Have any mainstream libertarian groups argued for the abolition of inheritance?
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: August 12, 2024, 11:58:50 pm »

I am a firm believer that coffee is one of the most heavily preserved/processed foodstuffs that people ingest

A key pillar of this belief must be that coffee indeed has preservatives in it. A quick check at some generic ground coffee from walmart lists it's only ingredient as "coffee". Which kinda seems to imply that ground coffee stored in a airtight container doesn't actually need preservatives, either that or they have it anyway and just don't list them? I'm no law school drop out, but that seems like it'd be a no-no with the FDA. Are you sure that coffee is actually full of preservatives?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: August 13, 2024, 03:41:36 am »

I love that mambo jambo, the case for coffee being a culinary enjoyment object is as strenuous as for tobacco. Neither nor chocolate tends to truely go bad, tho they will taste very different 10 years from now.

3 plants that tried their darndest to evolve aromatic compounds that dissuade from their consumption, the unholy trinity of societal  drug self-regulation lol.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 03:48:19 am by dragdeler »
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: August 13, 2024, 07:01:02 am »

Don't forget peppers.

"I will evolve capsaicin to stop mammals from eating me so that only birds enjoy my fruit and spread me far and wide!"

"Oh man this food makes my mouth burn, I'm going to keep eating it"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: August 13, 2024, 09:23:23 am »

But wait! I am now reaching population numbers previously undreamt of. I guess that was a fitness-jackpot after all.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: August 13, 2024, 10:49:12 am »

M'yeah, until it goes gros michel. Winter is coming.
let

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: August 13, 2024, 10:07:29 pm »

Some thing like Panama disease is very unlikely to happen to chili peppers. Since nobody wants banana seeds, bananas cultivation is done through asexual shoot propagation, meaning all the banana plants are vulnerable in the same ways. Meanwhile people actually like pepper seeds and Ed Currie and many others keep coming up with new cultivars that are very unlikely to hav the same vulnerabilities.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: August 13, 2024, 10:35:01 pm »

I would generally think the same.

Im also eternally surprised to not hear about any apple varieties getting wiped out by a blight, since theyre also almost exclusively clones
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: August 14, 2024, 01:56:52 am »

I am a firm believer that coffee is one of the most heavily preserved/processed foodstuffs that people ingest

A key pillar of this belief must be that coffee indeed has preservatives in it. A quick check at some generic ground coffee from walmart lists it's only ingredient as "coffee". Which kinda seems to imply that ground coffee stored in a airtight container doesn't actually need preservatives, either that or they have it anyway and just don't list them? I'm no law school drop out, but that seems like it'd be a no-no with the FDA. Are you sure that coffee is actually full of preservatives?
Not in the sense of "the FDA considers this chemical a preservative and it must be listed in the ingredients when exceeding n ppm", but what could you call a product that can stay tinned for a year and after opening will still stay fresh longer than the product you got by grinding whole beans? Big-coffee has chemically altered it in some manners, and those altered chemicals are effectively a preservative that gives it that longer shelf-life.

For coffee, the FDA treats coffee like many other plant products; there is the regulating related to the the commodity market grading system like mold-toxin, non-bean-debris, and moisture limits, then the FDA has ppm limits for a lot of chemicals that apply to all foodstuffs, but you can do a lot of things to that ground coffee and still call it "coffee". It hasn't been linked to health risks, but why presume there are none when they didn't make the changes to benefit you?

The point I was heading toward with the previous post was that you cannot trust what big-business will do to a plant while still referring to their product as that plant. What they do for shelf-life is often what you should avoid for your own health. I do get your point about calling me out on how I referenced preservatives in that first bit.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: August 14, 2024, 07:04:06 am »

Eh, lots of stuff lasts without artificial preservatives due to other things. With coffee it's probably that it's dry as fuck. The big issue with coffee is more that it goes stale, with all the various aromatics offgassing.

But granulated sugar doesn't go off without preservatives, honey's fine too, grains are stored in silos where the biggest threat is vermin. So long as it's stored properly plenty of stuff can last a long time without additives.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 647