Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 892432 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7380 on: June 01, 2021, 05:38:06 pm »

Yeah somebody doesn't know their birds. Ducks are ducks and geese are geese. It's not even the situation where like in Swedish maybe Norwegian has different words from tame and wild ducks. Geese are geese geese.
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: June 01, 2021, 09:04:56 pm »

I'm writing something, and I'm planning to license the article + assets under CC-BY and its associated code under MIT. I'm also including the original files/scripts that generated the assets if possible.

Under this binary distinction, are LaTeX files code or an article asset? LaTeX is Turing-complete, so I'm tempted to categorize it as code, but it's only being used as a markup language for some math in the article itself. If I put it under MIT, every distributed copy (modified or otherwise) will have to include the license somewhere, but for CC-BY, the only things a redistributor needs are attribution, indication if modified, and a link to the license it's under.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: June 01, 2021, 11:35:59 pm »

I would put it as CC-BY.

Rationale:

English is turing complete also: You can fully describe a computational process in human language. It is still literary, and not code work. The actual text describing such a process would be CC-BY, but the algorithm so described would be MIT. 

Since you are not describing an algorithm, only markup, I would only license under CC-BY.

For things that are indeed algorithmic processes, (like your code to do things), do MIT.

You can supply a disambiguation document, if you want.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: June 02, 2021, 02:59:26 am »

This is probably a dumb question but what does Turing Complete mean because I've seen it mentioned in several places on the forum now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: June 02, 2021, 03:25:32 am »

English is turing complete also: You can fully describe a computational process in human language. It is still literary, and not code work. The actual text describing such a process would be CC-BY, but the algorithm so described would be MIT.

Wait, isn't English super-Turing-complete? After all, you can declare the statement "This program solves the halting problem", and that will parse given suitable external libraries. /s

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: June 02, 2021, 03:30:56 am »

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_complete

LaTEX is able to actively modify the content of the message it describes, and do so in a fashion that enables it to perform any computational process.  It is thus Turing Complete. (Part of the definition of a Turing Machine, is that ANY Turing Machine, can simulate the process of ANY OTHER Turing Machine, with tradeoffs on time.)

Thus, it is possible to make a LaTEX document mine bitcoin, or some similarly silly thing, if you REALLY want it to.

In the context of the discussion, a distinction was being made between a mere descriptive form of an algorithm, (describe its process), and a physical manifestation of that process.

I was obliquely pointing out that sourcecode, or even compiled code, does not (on its own) do the task-- it is still always just a description of the task to be performed, followed by a turing machine.

In the case of an algorithm described in natural English, the turing machine is a human brain.

If you are not describing an algorithmic process, you should not use a software license, which deals explicitly with algorithmical processes, regardless of how they are described. You should use the general information style licensing. CC:BY

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: June 02, 2021, 03:46:23 am »

Point taken. CC-BY it is.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_complete

LaTEX is able to actively modify the content of the message it describes, and do so in a fashion that enables it to perform any computational process.  It is thus Turing Complete. (Part of the definition of a Turing Machine, is that ANY Turing Machine, can simulate the process of ANY OTHER Turing Machine, with tradeoffs on time.)

Thus, it is possible to make a LaTEX document mine bitcoin, or some similarly silly thing, if you REALLY want it to.

Turing-completeness does not say anything about the usability of any given language or computing thing, mind you. Brainfuck is Turing-complete, but good luck writing anything with it! There's also one-instruction set computers which have literally 1 instruction, and those are a "good fucking luck!" in terms of making any sense of their assembly, let alone their machine code.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: June 02, 2021, 04:54:37 am »

Canadian ducks are actually called Mallard ducks, but they aren't exclusive to Canada. Your friend is a fool. Our geese are very iconic and we call them as such. The closet thing we have to a Canadian duck is the Loon.

Yeah, like... There were a couple pictures with mallards up front and some geese milling around in the background, and then most of the others were just geese. I even tried Googling "Canadian duck" to see if this was a yam/sweet potato thing, but that search term goes directly to the Canada goose anyway.

And when I tried voicing my confusion, all I got back was ":P". I know she's not the sharpest bulb in the tree, but still.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: June 02, 2021, 11:22:40 am »

I've read through a paper called The Dawn of Commercial Digital Recording, and I noticed that these early digital systems had some odd choices for bit depth. Denon had their 1972 DN-023R, a 16-channel system that ran at 47.25 KHz (excusable; no standards were around back then) and 13-bit resolution. They later made a new one, the DN-034R, which had 14-bit resolution.

Why didn't they go for the natural choice of 16-bit? 16 is a power of 2, so I thought it'd be easier to design stuff based on that. I'm not even sure what microchips they could've used in 1972; surely it's literally all discrete transistors in there.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: June 02, 2021, 12:12:44 pm »

The ficus tree I have at home is weirdly bent 90 degrees at the top. Is that healthy for the tree? I can give pictures.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: June 02, 2021, 04:11:36 pm »

The ficus tree I have at home is weirdly bent 90 degrees at the top. Is that healthy for the tree? I can give pictures.

It's generally not unhealthy, per say.  Most foliage can grow whatever way its going.  Pictures or it's not happening!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: June 02, 2021, 05:18:01 pm »

Bends like that in tree species that don't do so normally is usually a sign of past illness or damage, mind. Some it doesn't make much of a difference if they survive whatever caused it, others can have weight concerns that causes future problems/breakage (the latter the tree will probably survive alright, but you might not want trees cosplaying a drop bear in your immediate area). It's indeed not necessarily a problem if the tree's still growing alright or otherwise healthy, but it's also not, like, a good sign or somethin', in most (though not all) tree species.

I wouldn't worry about it, but that's mostly because I give negative shits about the immediate health of trees that aren't in position to fall on top of things I care about :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: June 02, 2021, 08:56:52 pm »

Imperative programming is basically being a drill sergeant to a computer. It's like shouting to a computer, "Do this! Print "Hello World!" to console! If i is equal to 0, exit loop!"

What's the humanized version of declarative programming? I'd also like to see functional programming, even if it's technically a subset.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: June 02, 2021, 11:36:41 pm »

First question-- Example, To-Do list, or driving directions.

Functional programming would be a combination of a dictionary full of jargon-- then a to-do list using that jargon.  Take for instance, a series of lunch orders at a diner.

"Take a chance with burned British and Adam and Eve on a raft."

(Corned beef hash with a toasted english muffin, served with poached eggs on toast.)

this would be equal to

Order = (TakeAChance())+(BurnedBritish())+(AdamAndEveOnARaft())

Define Function TakeAChance, result
result=Plate(Fry(Separate(Decant(Open(CanOfHash))))
end function

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: June 03, 2021, 12:03:05 pm »

Any cooks here know what I can do to a really nice stainless steel frying pan I have to prevent eggs from sticking to it?  Do I need to season it? Polish it?  Am I using the wrong heat?

It's only eggs that seem to have the issue; meat and other stuff has no major sticking issue.  Doesn't matter if I use butter (real or spray) or even oil; eggs just stick like crazy.  To clarify, I mean when scrambling them, it makes like this film over the entire pan; frying them doesn't result in disaster.

This film seems to be worse when my wife scrambles eggs: she uses milk, I do not.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 648